Aaaarrgghhh I can’t take it anymore. The Messerschmitt Me 262B-1a/U1 by Airfix 1/72

That is some lovely mottling there! And that is why I don't do mottling - I know I'd make a right bodge of it. But that's all right; it just means I have to look for interesting non-mottled schemes for my Luftwaffe models.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

From my googling of the gear doors of the me 262 it is inconclusive. I did use rlm 02 (well vallejo model colour equivalent). Mottling looks good too and I am long overdue a visit to parabellum. Nice additions though! And glad the AK paints went to a good home (not jealous at all.....)

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Just take another look at the 3rd...... Yellow 7.....between the nacelle and the fuselage on the leading edge. 

Is that the slat? Or am I seeing something else? 

Anyway, yours is looking good in all it's mottled glory 

Yeah I think you’re right but as they got pushed in I’m happy, 🙌🤩

Oh and thanks. 😍

• Like 1

Long time lurker & non-contributor checking in...

An inspiring build - looking really good 🙂

Regarding slats, I saw a video of the Luftwaffe training films, and one of the clips showed the 'Schwarze' ground crew adjusting the inner slats for free operation, so after tweaking with a spanner it was manually pushed in and automatically extended; presumably with some spring behind it. So correct operation would be open on the ground, and automatically closed in flight once aerodynamic forces reached a certain level. Not certain, but I think this also applied to the outers...

No Me 262s I ever made had extended slats :shrug:

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2020 at 11:29 PM, The Spadgent said:

Apparently the slats were open on the ground but were usually pushed in to protect against debris. They could slice either way when grounded so for this build I’ll say they’re in. I’m deffo going to build another one. I’ll poke those ones out just for you Mr Gondor. 😇

Thank you for the info @The Spadgent, saves me finding that out. I will probably model them open when I get around to building a B-2 version.

Gondor

• Like 1

Lovely mottling, I think that really captures the 'spirit' of that style applied to those 262s, well done for being restrained to keep them all pretty consistent...

The slats were on roller bearings. No springs, they dropped out under their own weight. If pushed up they could stay in place. So you've no worries in terms of accuracy. They could be open (they may even have been open more often than not) and this does add visual interest. Also note that as they aren't linked, you could have some in and some out (though it'd look a bit 'untidy').

Matt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2020 at 6:02 AM, Learstang said:

That is some lovely mottling there! And that is why I don't do mottling - I know I'd make a right bodge of it. But that's all right; it just means I have to look for interesting non-mottled schemes for my Luftwaffe models.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks. 😇 yes I did have a bit of a moment there for a while. 😬

On 2/14/2020 at 1:12 PM, rob85 said:

Mottling looks really good from where I’m sat Johnny, very nice work.

Rob 

Thanks kid. 🤩

On 2/14/2020 at 5:26 PM, Wince said:

From my googling of the gear doors of the me 262 it is inconclusive. I did use rlm 02 (well vallejo model colour equivalent). Mottling looks good too and I am long overdue a visit to parabellum. Nice additions though! And glad the AK paints went to a good home (not jealous at all.....)

Thanks. I think I’ll go rlm 02 too. 🤞

The paints are good but I need to get some thinners. 🤩

On 2/14/2020 at 7:56 PM, TheBaron said:

Love what you've done with that mottling Johnny. Real test of character and skill at this scale - handled with bravura. 👏

Thanks Tony. 😇🙌

On 2/15/2020 at 1:58 PM, Tony Oliver said:

Looks good mate! 

Thanks dude. 🥳

On 2/15/2020 at 2:59 PM, B_Bogus said:

Long time lurker & non-contributor checking in...

An inspiring build - looking really good 🙂

Regarding slats, I saw a video of the Luftwaffe training films, and one of the clips showed the 'Schwarze' ground crew adjusting the inner slats for free operation, so after tweaking with a spanner it was manually pushed in and automatically extended; presumably with some spring behind it. So correct operation would be open on the ground, and automatically closed in flight once aerodynamic forces reached a certain level. Not certain, but I think this also applied to the outers...

No Me 262s I ever made had extended slats :shrug:

Thanks for the great info. I do love learning stuff while I build. 😍

On 2/15/2020 at 3:42 PM, Gondor44 said:

Thank you for the info @The Spadgent, saves me finding that out. I will probably model them open when I get around to building a B-2 version.

Gondor

Yeah I think I will too. 🤗

On 2/15/2020 at 4:06 PM, Mattlow said:

Lovely mottling, I think that really captures the 'spirit' of that style applied to those 262s, well done for being restrained to keep them all pretty consistent...

The slats were on roller bearings. No springs, they dropped out under their own weight. If pushed up they could stay in place. So you've no worries in terms of accuracy. They could be open (they may even have been open more often than not) and this does add visual interest. Also note that as they aren't linked, you could have some in and some out (though it'd look a bit 'untidy').

Matt.

More great info. Thank you. 🤩😍🙌

• Like 1

Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been busy getting the 1:1 scale cave in order.

49550458627_788de45225_b.jpg

I had another two cabinets in storage that are now being put to good use. All very good but it’s not aeroplanes is it. 😬

Even Zero is bored now. 🤣

49550458647_668f481dbd_b.jpg

The room is pretty much done now, just some lights to fit. I wanted to get some 262 action tonight but I broke my foil last Thursday and had to re wire it. 😫🤺 

49550458642_0cb5671d54_b.jpg 49550458602_79c08e2f11_b.jpg

Fingers crossed it will work. 🤞🤞🤞🤺

eventually I got a few mins before bed adding some of the little decals.

49549729158_abb0728783_b.jpg

What do you mean where. 🤫 the red dotted line things on the wings. Flap wordy things and that yellow triangle thing. 😍 I know not much but all progress is good progress. More soon now the cave is operational again. 
Thanks for dropping by.

Sorry it’s not a lot but I figured I’d check in. Hope you all had a great weekend.

Take care y’all.

Johnny.

• Like 11

What do you mean by foil? As in that you broke?

PS - I spent my afternoon out on the drive replacing the starter motor on the Wife’s car, so Boris and Bertie were bored today too...

Especially Bert. He is a strange boy 😂 At least Boris made the effort to look at the camera!

Sad doggos.

CB26-AD27-B9-D1-405-A-8-BDA-9-E08-B4-D03

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

What do you mean by foil? As in that you broke?

PS - I spent my afternoon out on the drive replacing the starter motor on the Wife’s car, so Boris and Bertie were bored today too...

Especially Bert. He is a strange boy 😂 At least Boris made the effort to look at the camera!

Sad doggos.

CB26-AD27-B9-D1-405-A-8-BDA-9-E08-B4-D03

My fencing foil,🤺 it’s a sword.  I broke the electrical wire that runs along its length.  Oh man two Schnausers, I see Bert has adopted the typical pose. 🤣 good boys.🤩🐺🐺

• Like 1

Mottling looks lovely, Johnny.  I've no plans to actually ever model the appropriate Luftwaffe aircraft, but I still find myself practicing tidy little dots when I've got leftover colours in the Iwata.

Happy to see the Schnauzers as well, Webster and Schnitzel were my mum's pups when I was a wee modeller.

• Thanks 1

Excuse the thread drift Johnny :)

On 11/02/2020 at 17:14, Bigdave22014 said:

An adaptation I made was to fit a strip of white LED's under the top lip of the booth to light things up. I had to disassemble the unit to solder the leads on (I think to the back of the switch...) so they came on when the unit was switched on.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you one of the left over strips.

Dave kindly sent me one of his strips but, sadly, it's 12v and my booth doesn't have a transformer.

Thanks though Dave, very kind.

49552882531_f3ba38b932_n.jpg 49553128982_aaed4431ce_n.jpg

It's just over 30cm long (without the wire).

If anyone has a booth with a 12v internal supply and they'd like to fit a LED strip light PM me and I'll pass it on :) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Looking good Johnny :) 

Almost ready for the weathering?

Nice dogs! Molly says 'Woof' 🐾

Almost!!! Beginning to pick next kits. 🤩

13 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Mottling looks lovely, Johnny.  I've no plans to actually ever model the appropriate Luftwaffe aircraft, but I still find myself practicing tidy little dots when I've got leftover colours in the Iwata.

Happy to see the Schnauzers as well, Webster and Schnitzel were my mum's pups when I was a wee modeller.

“Schnitzel” Best schnauzer name evah. 🤩

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Excuse the thread drift Johnny :)

Dave kindly sent me one of his strips but, sadly, it's 12v and my booth doesn't have a transformer.

Thanks though Dave, very kind.

49552882531_f3ba38b932_n.jpg 49553128982_aaed4431ce_n.jpg

It's just over 30cm long (without the wire).

If anyone has a booth with a 12v internal supply and they'd like to fit a LED strip light PM me and I'll pass it on :) 

Drift away. Very kind, I do love BM. 😇

• Like 2

A smidge more done tonight. She’ll  be finished before you know it. 🥳

Look shrink wrap.

49553625023_7e34f7d628_b.jpg

How to mask in one easy step? 🤣

right I forget how cool this silver goes on when sprayed. Soooooo.

pssssssssssttttt.

49553625003_c680bfedd3_b.jpg

Lovely. 🤩

I used the rest for the UC.

49554118231_2d5214538a_b.jpg

And ze wheels.

49554118241_7c1fe20097_b.jpg

Masking jacket off and UC bays painted.

49553624988_a96d290cbe_b.jpg

Along with the little doors.

49553625138_a1f647295f_b.jpg

I “metallic” glossed the silver bits then cut the last few bits ready for paint.

@CedB your little stash is growing bigger every day. 😇

49554360567_0e337e5925_b.jpg

The guy on the end has had wine. 
More decals.

49554118276_164a91db9a_b.jpg

Just the under belly and the other side to go.  

49554118206_1603b391bb_b.jpg

these little bits ready for paint now after a bit of filing and some TET to smooth the rough edges.

I’ll let that all settle till tomorrow.

Thanks for dropping by.

Hope you’re all having a great week.

Johnny. 🤛

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Loving the 262.

On  the led strip, the ones I got are white about 300mm long rigid and have a mini usb connector. I think I got them off www. Gearbest.com and I think they were only a fiver. I think you can find the same on eBay. The one you have is more for pc modding than photography.

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2020 at 7:41 AM, giemme said:

Almost done now, Johnny! She's looking splendid:clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

Almost. Thanks G. 😍

On 2/19/2020 at 2:31 PM, limeypilot said:

Very nice Johnny, looking forward to seeing this done!

Ian

Thanks. Me too. 🤩

On 2/19/2020 at 11:07 PM, Wince said:

Looking good! 

Thank you sir. 😇

On 2/20/2020 at 11:39 AM, Marklo said:

Loving the 262.

On  the led strip, the ones I got are white about 300mm long rigid and have a mini usb connector. I think I got them off www. Gearbest.com and I think they were only a fiver. I think you can find the same on eBay. The one you have is more for pc modding than photography.

Thanks for the info. @CedB got sent the strip in the end. My lamp fits just in front of the booth so I was all good. 🤩

• Like 1