Aaaarrgghhh I can’t take it anymore. The Messerschmitt Me 262B-1a/U1 by Airfix 1/72

I am still puzzled why one, when applying camo, takes the effort to tape the first color. Personally, I only see room for errors that way.. tape that doesn't line up exactly the second time, colored borders when spraying the paler color, etc...

Still, it looks great, and then that mottling freehand... I'll take my hat off already

• Thanks 1

The 262 looks very tasty Johnny.

Yeah, leave it overnight to cure.

As for spray booths etc, I build and paint in the front room so I have to vent out all the fumes, And light it from above using a day light bulb in an angle poise lamp.

The booth has translucent top and sides so acts like a diffuser.

Simon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Silenoz said:

I am still puzzled why one, when applying camo, takes the effort to tape the first color.

I was going to ask that Silenoz, then I remembered Johnny is a master of pre-shading; presumably two coats would mess up the effect?

• Like 2

On 09/02/2020 at 20:55, The Spadgent said:

Sorry to hear about the sniffle but at least you have ze mask. 😷 😇

Was manflu. To the great pleasure of those around me I have no voice....262 looks grand! As for the gear doors, I did mine in rlm 2. But that was probably not accurate 

• Thanks 1

Funny I had the same thought with the camo I struggle to mask things once let alone twice. Hmm my Ju87k will probably be my next build with camo so maybe I should try this too (except of course it’s going to be tri colour not two so may be way too much work to consider) hmmmm

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 12:27 AM, Jackson Duvalier said:

Strong work!  Happy to catch up with this project.

I have to be careful watching Axis builds lest I be tempted to fill another closet with kits and buy sixty more colours of paint.  🤑

Thanks. So many kits so little time. 🥳

On 2/12/2020 at 3:58 AM, Bigdave22014 said:

Not a problem guys.

Ced, drop me a PM with your address and i'll post one of my spares to you.

I got them off evilBay, but you have to buy more than one - hence the spares.

Very kind of you. 

On 2/12/2020 at 7:50 AM, Andwil said:

Looking really good.  How long do you leave the paint before you mask over it?  I wouldn’t dream of spraying 3 colours in one session for fear of it lifting off with the tape, but maybe I’m being over cautious.

AW

About 30/45 mins. 🤔 maybe I souls have left it a bout longer. 😳

On 2/12/2020 at 7:55 AM, CedB said:

Looking very good Johnny - smoooooth :) 

Thanks Dave - PM inbound, very kind of you :) 

Thanks Mr B.

On 2/12/2020 at 8:08 AM, giemme said:

Superb paint job, Johnny boy! :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. 🙌

On 2/12/2020 at 11:33 AM, Silenoz said:

I am still puzzled why one, when applying camo, takes the effort to tape the first color. Personally, I only see room for errors that way.. tape that doesn't line up exactly the second time, colored borders when spraying the paler color, etc...

Still, it looks great, and then that mottling freehand... I'll take my hat off already

Usually I freehand the first pass (as I want to keep y pre shade ) then mask but as this was so small and the masking wasn’t a problem I figured, what the hey. 😀

On 2/12/2020 at 12:04 PM, Spookytooth said:

The 262 looks very tasty Johnny.

Yeah, leave it overnight to cure.

As for spray booths etc, I build and paint in the front room so I have to vent out all the fumes, And light it from above using a day light bulb in an angle poise lamp.

The booth has translucent top and sides so acts like a diffuser.

Simon. 

Thanks Simon. And yes over night in the future. 👌

On 2/12/2020 at 12:20 PM, billn53 said:

Your paint looks excellent so far. This is where I would be scared sh*tless about screwing it up with my poorly lacking mottling skills. 

Thanks and scared. Yessssss. 🤪 quite a bit. 

21 hours ago, CedB said:

I was going to ask that Silenoz, then I remembered Johnny is a master of pre-shading; presumably two coats would mess up the effect?

Indeed. 🧐

17 hours ago, Wince said:

Was manflu. To the great pleasure of those around me I have no voice....262 looks grand! As for the gear doors, I did mine in rlm 2. But that was probably not accurate 

RLM 2 you say. 🤔 thanks.

16 hours ago, Marklo said:

Funny I had the same thought with the camo I struggle to mask things once let alone twice. Hmm my Ju87k will probably be my next build with camo so maybe I should try this too (except of course it’s going to be tri colour not two so may be way too much work to consider) hmmmm

She was so small it was no bother.

14 hours ago, SaminCam said:

She's a beaut Johnny, looking forward to seeing the mottles!

Thanks. Yes I was in a bit of a pickle last night. 😳

• Like 3

Hi guys.

it was a late finish last night so no time to post. So dinner time post it is. 🥳

Even though I only use acrylic paint I do use Tamiya to coat but that sprayed fine in the booth, ready for mottles.

49527139018_ac48bf8e0c_b.jpg

Now not 100% sure what I was doing I spent a good hour or so mucking around with the idea of brush painting them with oils. Just a word of warning....don’t. It looks rubbish. I then set about practicing with the sour brush. So I thinned AK with Tamiya thinners so get the right consistency. Aaaaaaand clog. 😳😬😔

looks like those two should never cross paths. So after much cursing and a or brush cleaning I made my own mix using Tamiya paints and thinners. This was better but I still had spluttering. So I cleaned again. 😴😴🤣😔

eventually I got so peeved with it I grew a pair and just started spraying on the 262 and to hell with it.  💪💪💪

I had about 10 drops of paint and topped up the cup with thinner and went at it.

(word to the wise) spray wild in the booth for a few seconds first to get the true soggy mix through. I learned the hard way. 😬.

Interlude

I went to Parabellum and bought some kits.

49527851482_cbd8bf73f1_b.jpg

Always wanted to do one of these.

49527851272_98d2128ec8_b.jpg

I couldn’t pass this by. 

And could you believe it @CedB

49527875027_0f97d8768b_b.jpg

Ooooh yessss. Fun times ahead. 🤗🤗

Alas they didn’t find my gloves. 🤣

Right any way where were we? Ah yes mottles.

49527114038_560febf0eb_b.jpg

I started really light. ( You have to what with the paint being so thin ) with a low PSI probably around 10PSI.

then gradually worked up the kit.

49527850097_01350dd8b6_b.jpg

Not sure what I was looking at after a while but I eventually became happy instead of panicked.

49527114393_35aee2f2f9_b.jpg

Here’s another shot not in the booth.

49527851172_c78a517ee7_b.jpg

Not 100% what I was after and given the chance I’d give it another go but overall I’m happy.

So I glossed.

49527139013_76a0858b5b_b.jpg

Being eager and having a free night after the gloss went off, around 30 mins I decided to Decal. 😬

49527114708_d30209a2e7_b.jpg

Phew. No trouble tet mill.😇

49527851027_648d53031c_b.jpg

I decided to stop after the main ones as my eyes were going bandy. I did manage to get the extra decal tail ones on though. 
also the under side. 

49527650826_c6c5b4a184_b.jpg

I’m looking forward to the bits I know how to do now. Weathering etc. as I said not 100% happy but she’ll do. 😎

Thanks for popping in and checking in on my madness,  Take care and as always. Happy modelling.

Johnny Mottle. 🦒

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, billn53 said:

Nice!!!!

Thank you sir. 👍

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Excellent job done there Johnny.

Big pat on the back sir.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. 🤝

3 hours ago, SaminCam said:

Happy modelling and Happy Mottling too, from here looks like you nailed it!

Thank you.

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I'd be damn happy with that, but then I have no intention of ever building one either!

Ian

Thank you. You should they’re great fun. 🤗

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Great paintwork, looks spot on from here!

Nice addition to the stash as well.

Roger

Thank you. Very kind. 🤩

1 hour ago, giemme said:

What they all said, J - impressive job! :worthy: :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks G. 😎

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

As all above. Looks good to me also.

Cheers

Thank you kidda. 🥳

22 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Really beautifully done. I still have to attempt mottling with my airbrush. Haven’t had a subject yet. Although I think I said I’d do a ta 154 next for my stash clearance build.

Thanks. When you do get to it remember lots of thinner, low pressure and pump it through for a bit first. 🤩

4 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Outstanding!  Love it.  Great paint work.

Thanks. 🤩

1 hour ago, Gondor44 said:

Of course you do realise that the leading edge slats would be open when on the ground as springs kept them open unless the force of the airflow held them closed.

Gondor

Well now I do, 😔 I’ll look into it. 

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Very nice mottling Johnny - great job!

Nice to see another Sioux AND a Corsair - I like those! :) 

Thanks Ced. There’s a flying piano GB? 🤩🤪🧐

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

Of course you do realise that the leading edge slats would be open when on the ground as springs kept them open unless the force of the airflow held them closed.

Gondor

I’ve looked for pics as I’m sure I’ve seen 262s on the ground with slats closed.

here are some.

49532320367_7168aeb6e9_c.jpg 49531593108_0e0c663b20_z.jpg 49531593113_137a0e7836_z.jpg

I took another look at @general melchett’s build in Airfix world this month and the accompanying article and they too had birds on the ground with closed slats so. I might just leave this as is. 🤞🙂🙃 bir thanks for the info. I’ll look into it more as I love to learn about these things as I build. 😇

ps. Just had a search as it was doing my noodle. Apparently the slats were open on the ground but were usually pushed in to protect against debris. They could slice either way when grounded so for this build I’ll say they’re in. I’m deffo going to build another one. I’ll poke those ones out just for you Mr Gondor. 😇

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 3

3 great paint schemes right there, ideally suited for the creative airbrusher! 

Just take another look at the 3rd...... Yellow 7.....between the nacelle and the fuselage on the leading edge. 

Is that the slat? Or am I seeing something else? 

Anyway, yours is looking good in all it's mottled glory 

• Like 1