Aaaarrgghhh I can’t take it anymore. The Messerschmitt Me 262B-1a/U1 by Airfix 1/72

I am really sorry Johnny for being late on parade, I missed the call.

It looks like you have screamed along at a rate of knots here, as fast as the actual plane herself.

Great idea about using the U/C bays as a jig, I have done that a few times when able to.

Looking forward to the mottling mate.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

On 20/01/2020 at 06:16, The Spadgent said:

POINTLESSLY REPEATED PHOTOS REMOVED

Hi. That looks great. I'd be interested to learn what you're doing  to make that work? I mean in terms of paint thickness, airbrush pressure / distance etc. It's a tricky technique and you've got some good results, albeit on paper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 20/01/2020 at 06:16, The Spadgent said:

POINTLESSLY REPEATED PHOTOS REMOVED

You're making me want to buy a two seater 262! Can you like.... Not? 😂

Great work, I have to get through the 1 seater I have in the stash before I even think about another one

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

Great work, I have to get through the 1 seater I have in the stash before I even think about another one

I intend to build all three of mine together. May even do it here.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, chrislowe said:

You mean on Earth?

34 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

What if there is no Earth

I meant BM but thanks to the far reaching tentacle of the interweb, I can build the models anywhere I like. There is definitely an Earth as I currently seem to be orbiting it.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

On 1/19/2020 at 9:23 PM, Wince said:

Looking good! I tried and failed to find parabellum on Friday but need to drop by after pay day. That shark like line of the 262 has been captured in this kit! 

Thanks. Find it on google maps. It’s just down from the train station. 🙌

On 1/19/2020 at 9:35 PM, billn53 said:

Good job on getting the engine nacelles squared away. Now I’ve seen it done, I’m more likely to take mine off the stash pile and give it a go. 

-Bill

Thanks. It’s a lovely Aeroplane to build for sure. ❤️

On 1/19/2020 at 10:55 PM, CedB said:

Wow, you’re really flying through this one Johnny - looking very good there matey :) 

Thanks Mr B. Coming from you I must be going super sonic. 🤣🙌🤩 (note I slowed down) 🤪

On 1/19/2020 at 11:04 PM, Andwil said:

Good idea using the airframe itself as a jig to line up the landing gear parts, filed away for future use.

AW

Thanks. Don’t know why I haven’t done it before.

On 1/20/2020 at 4:00 AM, AdrianMF said:

Nice work! It looks nicely detailed but the fit seems to be less than stellar...

If Ced's saying that then you must be positively hypersonic!

Regards,

Adrian

She’s a joy to build.  The fit isn’t really that bad and to be fair I’m enjoying fixing it. 😇

On 1/20/2020 at 12:59 PM, giemme said:

Big catch up for me - excellent progress, J! :thumbsup:  I love the idea of using the AC as a jig, too :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks G. 🥳

On 1/20/2020 at 9:45 PM, Spookytooth said:

I am really sorry Johnny for being late on parade, I missed the call.

It looks like you have screamed along at a rate of knots here, as fast as the actual plane herself.

Great idea about using the U/C bays as a jig, I have done that a few times when able to.

Looking forward to the mottling mate.

Simon.

Thanks. I think I need a few more practice runs out the mottles. 🙌

On 1/22/2020 at 1:30 PM, chrislowe said:

Hi. That looks great. I'd be interested to learn what you're doing  to make that work? I mean in terms of paint thickness, airbrush pressure / distance etc. It's a tricky technique and you've got some good results, albeit on paper.

Hey. Nothing special yet. I thinned my Tamiya as I always do 1:1 and took of the smaller end cap of my Iwata. Pressure was med / standard paint set up. I tried lower but got spits. I need to try a more thinned paint s I’m getting dark spots where I start.

11 hours ago, Timmas said:

That's looking really nice. Beautifully clean work, as ever Johnny. I'm looking forward to seeing how you tackle the mottling too. 

Thanks. You’re not the only one.

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Aaaah Mötling time !!

Hold my beer, I'm looking carefully since my first attempt was a complete mess....

Starring CC

Oh god don’t drink beer and watch. You might spit some out when you see how rubbish it goes. 🤣

3 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Your mottling practice looks pretty good - time to commit it to the model! 😎

No pressure then. 🙌🤪🤩🤣

3 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I think it’s pretty much the same as the single seater. Tell the truth I didn’t know this was a two seater when I bought it. I love learning as I build. 😇

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian 👽

Three? Is one a UFO. 👌👽 Seriously though I’d love to see those built. You’ve said it now. Make it so. ❤️

Thank you all for the kind words.

warms me cockles. 😍

Johnny.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Good evening everyone. Excuse the slowdown. I have had a busy working week. No real paint as yet but I did get a little done.

49431846962_99b436e0cc_b.jpg

Primer on. I stupidly dropped it half way through spraying. 😫 but managed to save it. 

49431624506_c7f86e782e_b.jpg

49431624516_4b1b356eec_b.jpg

There are some blobs on the canopy and the underside needs a little describe and some rivets putting back but all in all not bad. I added a brake line to the tricycle wheel using fuse wire. (Excuse the blurred pic)

49431846937_fea6f0e30d_b.jpg

I also filled the UC door pin marks.

49431624521_8352325a3d_b.jpg

I know, but at least you know that I know that I fixed it. 🤪🤣

I did a micro mesh when dry and re instated the lines.

49431146273_dbe4c8bf6b_b.jpg

looking at this pic I need a little more work where I dropped it on the canopy. Not bad though. 😇

I’m happy with the new lines and rivets. 

49431846967_81128caccd_b.jpg

That as they say is it. I really want to get some paint on but as I said I’ve been busy this week. I just need to fix the canopy bumps then we’re good to go. 😇

Thanks for dropping in.

All the best and as always.

Happy Modelling. 

Johnny.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 21

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

I added a brake line to the tricycle wheel using fuse wire.

That got my attention - I've never heard of an aircraft with nose wheel brakes before. Apparently the Boeing 727 also had this feature, but the system was deactivated but to unreliability and general ineffectiveness. Google is great for checking these things! I guess being a first generation jet, the designers were taking no chances given the (presumably faster) approach and landing speeds...?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian 👽

Sooo come on Dear tentacled one !!

I'm waiting now...

CC

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Then he can build it on Trump's planet, wherever that is! 

Ian

That's one place even I'm not stupid enough to visit! In fact, that's one plan that is so pants that even @general melchett wouldn't suggest it!

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Sooo come on Dear tentacled one !!

I'm waiting now...

CC

Evil child! I didn't say I was doing it now.  If I get five minutes between sorting my ailing Father's problems out, there is a Danish Pastry Lynx I want to get started. And, before you suggest it, no, I'm not going to do one of them in target towing stripes.

Martian 👽

• Haha 8
  • Sad 1

Looking good. I picked up the hobbyboss quick kit 262 from tornado in brum as a practice piece after my hurricane disaster. Are you mottling this free hand or with a stencil? I’ve used mine as a paint mule and to practice with the ab and is ok (heck of a lot to learn when it comes to spraying) but I’m sure yours will turn out far better!

BEC75FA0-528F-4A89-9F9D-A1C4FAF1508D

Edited by Wince
  • Like 4

Oh I don’t know Martian....I can be very suggestive when the mood takes me ....in fact, if I wasn’t on hols, away from all the lunacy at the mo, I might well have suggested it, my pants not withstanding.

Nice job Johnny, it’s a nice little kit, in fact I built a test shot of the new A2-A version for this month’s issue of AMW. It’s not a subject  I’d normally go for (the editor asked me to do it as a last minute favour) but turned out to be a very enjoyable experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 1/24/2020 at 1:20 AM, Back in the Saddle said:

That got my attention - I've never heard of an aircraft with nose wheel brakes before. Apparently the Boeing 727 also had this feature, but the system was deactivated but to unreliability and general ineffectiveness. Google is great for checking these things! I guess being a first generation jet, the designers were taking no chances given the (presumably faster) approach and landing speeds...?

You got me worried there for a bit. I’m pretty sure there are break lines on the front. 🤪 I should check. 🧐

On 1/24/2020 at 5:08 PM, Martian Hale said:

And, before you suggest it, no, I'm not going to do one of them in target towing stripes.

Martian 👽

Spoil sport. 🦓

On 1/25/2020 at 11:42 AM, Wince said:

Looking good. I picked up the hobbyboss quick kit 262 from tornado in brum as a practice piece after my hurricane disaster. Are you mottling this free hand or with a stencil? I’ve used mine as a paint mule and to practice with the ab and is ok (heck of a lot to learn when it comes to spraying) but I’m sure yours will turn out far better!

BEC75FA0-528F-4A89-9F9D-A1C4FAF1508D

Looks good! But in a radiator.😫

I’m doing it by hand.....🤞🤞🤞

don’t worry about Airbrushing, you pick up stuff as you go. Like everything else. 🥳

On 1/25/2020 at 3:53 PM, general melchett said:

Nice job Johnny, it’s a nice little kit, in fact I built a test shot of the new A2-A version for this month’s issue of AMW. It’s not a subject  I’d normally go for (the editor asked me to do it as a last minute favour) but turned out to be a very enjoyable experience.

Oh wow!! That was you? I bought that mag because of this build. You did a really great job. The PE looked a bit fiddly mind. 🤩🤩🤩 fingers crossed this one will turn out half as good as your one. 

Thanks for the kind words sir.  😀🙌

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I assure you the radiator had it’s uses (sting the 3 hour to dry gloss cote). Given my melting form I agree! Don’t try at home kids.....I’m trained as a fine art painter but even so I tempted fate and mrs wince was shocked saying “is that thing meant to be there”

• Haha 2

Good evening.

I trust you all had a splendid weekend? Although mine was spent in the cave it wasn’t quite what I had in mind. Let me explain. The spare bedroom is being turned into an office so the bed needs to go... you guessed it. 😩 oh well it could be worse, at least I have a room. 😍

so it’s goodby to this side of the room.

49452484022_31ee71eef2_b.jpg

And hello to mr window seat.

49451773228_51b093eae0_b.jpg

Moving here actually means I get to have one extra cabinet for kits. 🥰🤩🙌

Gem gave me an old and very cool desk from her old office that fits perfectly.

49451772893_0f75ab1160_b.jpg

Nice huh. Just got to move all the stuff over. Good excuse for a tidy. Hmmm 1:1 scale Modelling. 🥳🤪

So bye bye massive wall space.

49452253021_ca3e41aa62_b.jpg

And hello desk with storage!!

49451772918_497dfae856_b.jpg

Lots of storage. ( I’ll need to label that lot ) 🤣 

The clear out mid way.

49451772433_68dc547ab0_b.jpg

I have a great view over to the old church from here. 😀

The stash had to move too. I found some kits I forgot I had.

49452484642_844e09f4ec_b.jpg 49451773223_fe3d72ac9c_b.jpg

Nice!

It’s not that many when they’re out in the open. 😇 right? 😩

49452253761_e9e584411b_b.jpg

I have some big kits too but only another five or so. 🧐

Almost there.

49452253056_1d1c46e99a_b.jpg

Aaaand done for now. 🤩🤩🤩

49452253041_545b264e2f_b.jpg

I need to put some pictures up but at least Tom is still spying on me while I work. ❤️
Hard to believe all my stuff fits in those drawers. 👌 

That was Sunday. Today I gave the new space a test run.

These got fitted.

49451772383_ac641ce125_b.jpg

I nearly pinged one clean out of the window. Fancy a game of spot the bit? 🤣

49452484007_d99e6ff930_b.jpg

I’ll have to watch that. 
I also fitted the little wing tube. 

49452484667_de06c43d4e_b.jpg

I’m not risking pinging it off though so keeping the wing party on I sniped the sticky out bit. I’ll replace with wire later. 
All the little bits got a prime.

49451773213_60aaa42a13_b.jpg

So now a pre shade can commence. 😇

49452484372_45fd19f685_b.jpg

black.

49452253531_96eb82f20d_b.jpg

While that dried I practiced mottles on a mule.

49452484622_497847e0c2_b.jpg

I figured I’ll space them out then fill in the gaps.

49452253486_c7cec3a052_b.jpg

Not great but definitely getting there. Lots of testing going on. This was thinned to about 5:1 thinner. Spidering happened quite a bit. 
The bits and bobs also got a pre shade.

49451772913_f912c2508c_b.jpg

Ooh and look what turned up today from the USA. 🤩

49451772413_2e6bf325f1_b.jpg

really good price. About £20 ❤️👻

just before I cleaned up for the night I added a white pass to the pre shade.

49451772883_f44435c00a_b.jpg 49452253521_5339fbba4e_b.jpg

I’m happy with that. 😀👌

desk test was a success. Hurrah. 
colour next.

Thanks for dropping by and checking out the madness.

hope you all have a great week. 

Johnny. 

39 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Don’t worry, you were right - it did have brakes on the nose gear! 👍

Phew! 😎

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 19

Nice new desk.

Nice view (with natural light, sometimes).

Nice drawers (oooer missus).

(It's on the second slat up - is there a prize?)

Nice mottling practice.

Nice pre-shade.

Nice :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2