Aaaarrgghhh I can’t take it anymore. The Messerschmitt Me 262B-1a/U1 by Airfix 1/72

I'm trying to ignore the obvious fnaars but yes, the bottom looks good :D 

43 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

It it always gloss? Also upon cleaning with vallejo AN cleaner and water the paint congealed. Is this normal?

Vallejo primer? I've had nothing but angst with it. Not only the cleaning but it peeled off! Not a fan :( 

Great mottle worms Jont. After my useless attempts could you please let me know details of paint / thinning / nozzle / pressure etc? 

I might give it another go… maybe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Johnny, I use Vallejo Grey Primer (not gloss, anyway). The trick is to thin it with Future; you're gonna have to experiment with that, a small amount should be enough to have it flow properly, a thinning ratio of about 50-50 gives you the ability to work with multiple thin coats. HTH

Nice progress BTW, the fit still looks very good :thumbsup:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm trying to ignore the obvious fnaars but yes, the bottom looks good :D 

Vallejo primer? I've had nothing but angst with it. Not only the cleaning but it peeled off! Not a fan :( 

Great mottle worms Jont. After my useless attempts could you please let me know details of paint / thinning / nozzle / pressure etc? 

I might give it another go… maybe.

Sorry, I am lining them up with you in mind. 😇 I bought the primer for use with the Gundam but didn’t use it. (Much)  it’s not too much of a stress but the thinner says one or two drops per ten drops of paint. ? I was just trusting to save time priming then black / black under shade, as I do a lot of that. I’ll see how it goes.

as for the mottles. It was the primer. 10 : 2 nothing special with my standard pressure. Just over 20. It did feel a bit high so I might knock it down. More tests. 🙌

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Johnny, I use Vallejo Grey Primer (not gloss, anyway). The trick is to thin it with Future; you're gonna have to experiment with that, a small amount should be enough to have it flow properly, a thinning ratio of about 50-50 gives you the ability to work with multiple thin coats. HTH

Nice progress BTW, the fit still looks very good :thumbsup:

Ciao

Ok I have some of that. I’ll give it a go.❤️
and thanks. 🙌

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2

I think the vallejo gloss black ‘primer’ is to go under their metal color range. 
Couldn’t get on with it myself. More of a base coat than a primer. Found it hard to see and correct imperfections in a shiny coat. 

Stynylrez all the way. Not used anything else past 3 years or so. 
Also rebottled as mig ammo one shot and UMP primer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

I think the vallejo gloss black ‘primer’ is to go under their metal color range. 
Couldn’t get on with it myself. More of a base coat than a primer. Found it hard to see and correct imperfections in a shiny coat. 

Ahhhhh that makes sense. I never thought about that. I though all black primers would be the same. 🤨

Thanks. 

• Like 1

I’m new to airbrushes for mottling but remember my Shepard Paine book (long given away in spirit how a modeller friend gave it to me) who made modelling templates from card you spray through. He used a hole punch but I’m considering using acetate and various drills for blobby mottling. Back in the day I used a cotton bud and very thin paint! Or I stippled it on. Always loved challenge of German machines. 

Edited by Wince
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely neat work Johnny, as usual. :hypnotised:

I'm sure many folk here already know how influential the ME 262 was on our own post war aircraft industry, but for anyone who doesn't, it's fascinating to learn how we, along the Americans and Soviets, studied the Germans' jet and swept wing technologies and developed them.

Anyway, she's coming together really nicely. I'm interested to see how you tackle the mottling. :crosseyed:

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Wince said:

I’m new to airbrushes for mottling but remember my Shepard Paine book (long given away in spirit how a modeller friend gave it to me) who made modelling templates from card you spray through. He used a hole punch but I’m considering using acetate and various drills for blobby mottling. Back in the day I used a cotton bud and very thin paint! Or I stippled it on. Always loved challenge of German machines. 

Ooh templates? 🤩 I saw some of those in my AK book last night. Might give that a try. 🙌 Thanks for the hint.

8 hours ago, Timmas said:

Lovely neat work Johnny, as usual. :hypnotised:

I'm sure many folk here already know how influential the ME 262 was on our own post war aircraft industry, but for anyone who doesn't, it's fascinating to learn how we, along the Americans and Soviets, studied the Germans' jet and swept wing technologies and developed them.

Anyway, she's coming together really nicely. I'm interested to see how you tackle the mottling. :crosseyed:

Thanks. Yes I do love learning about stuff as I build. The latest Airfix mag has an article. I might pick it up. ( Or use the internet. )  I’m interested to see how I attack the mottling too. 🤔🤨🤣

Hey guys.

a little more tonight.

Yesterday I painted the office it’s base colour.

49380413783_fe2be651a2_b.jpg 49381071527_148eb60f6b_b.jpg

I forgot about these that I picked up in the 75% off sale.

49380875926_5e0a9dff6d_b.jpg

Must give em a go. ❤️
everything got a gloss coat and then we went out for an afternoon by the Severn valley with the in-laws and the dogs. Zero looked amazing! 

49380874881_c03f43066d_b.jpg

🤣🤣🤣

any Hoo last night the decals got softened into place, I added some spare ones today. They’ll settle.

49380413928_9e88fced4d_b.jpg

A weather wash will bring all that in line along with everything else.

the wells got a aluminium pass. I’ll do a post shade too.

49380875541_a40df61c9a_b.jpg 49380414323_66b0691ebb_b.jpg

Then I painted the seats and some bits and bobs.

49380451523_9e03f87191_b.jpg

I’ll need to scratch some belts fo those. 🤩

There we are for now. Time for the third instalment of Dracula.

Thanks for popping in. All the best and Happy Modelling.

Johnny. 🦇

• Like 15

Ahhh I now know the culprit who bought the Luftwaffe paint set!!!!! I went in but ‘‘twas gone! At last I know it went to a great home.

Edited by Mike
Removing big photo quote from the post above.
  • Thanks 1

Hello Spad !!

Find another pull over but with blue stripes !!

And you will have the only Spetnaz Schnauzer !! :evil_laugh:

Optionally, you can teach to bark in plain russian !!

Grrrreeeeaaat job on your Me !! Brilliant !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Wince said:

Ahhh I now know the culprit who bought the Luftwaffe paint set!!!!! I went in but ‘‘twas gone! At last I know it went to a great home.

Sorry. I have a lot of German aeroplanes planned. It’ll be used here for sure. 😇

14 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

That's all I have to add.  Enjoying your build, Johnny.

Brilliant. 🤩🤩🙌

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad !!

Grrrreeeeaaat job on your Me !! Brilliant !!

Sincerely.

CC

Ha. You’re not wrong, although he doesn’t really like wearing any clothes.  As it should be. 😍

Thanks for your kind words dear heart. 🙌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2020 at 1:59 AM, Wince said:

(long given away in spirit how a modeller friend gave it to me) who made modelling templates from card you spray through. He used a hole punch but I’m considering using acetate and various drills for blobby mottling. Back in the day I used a cotton bud and very thin paint! Or I stippled it on.

When I  have a  not accurate Soviet airbrush single action, I made a copy of the instructions modell  on  Xerox and then burned holes in the paper with a wood burner, another way was to transfer the spots from the instruction onto a sheet of chocolate foil and then break through the foil in the form of a spot.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:48 PM, Timmas said:

The influence of the Me-262 on Soviet developments is somewhat exaggerated unlike engines, but I will listen with interest to Your version of the "influence of the Me-262 on Soviet developments"

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

It is already Spetnaz Schnauzer! Because many Soviet / post-Soviet police spetnaz  OMON / SOBR (analogue S.W.A.T) carry pull over  with red stripes:

telnyashki.jpg

post-64527-0-13024100-1374418287.jpg

Therefore, if your 

Schnauzer once barks: "Open the refrigerator! Get the food! Everyone lie face down! Hands behind your head! OMON work!"  do not be surprised, and do not resist!

😉😁😁

15 hours ago, Wince said:

49380874881_c03f43066d_b.jpg

🤣🤣🤣

Ahhh, Kirk Douglas was in spetsnaz!!!

😁😁

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Pretend to be awarded Medal "For strengthening international police cooperation

"???

For_strengthening_international_police_c

😉😁😁

• Haha 6

Spassiba Sergueï !! 

Pretty good one and thanks for the info !!

I used to wear a Chapka from a guard regiment... When it snow... That's not the case here this year...

It has some effect on the peoples on the street !!

Sincerely.

CC

Edited by Mike
Removing photo quote
  • Like 1

On 14/01/2020 at 13:25, The Spadgent said:

Sorry. I have a lot of German aeroplanes planned. It’ll be used here for sure. 😇

I bought enough from that sale anyway! I mainly do early to mid era Luftwaffe but my focus is the RAF so glad it will be used.

• Like 1

Evening guys.

a little more progress tonight.

I did a flory wash on all parts.

wheel well and side walls.

wells.

49391158718_bec51892eb_b.jpg 49391632986_55ef16f69f_b.jpg

Aaaaand

walls.

49391159698_24188b33a3_b.jpg

The main office washed and dry fitted before a highlight pass and scratched belts.

49391159603_a86dcac2de_b.jpg

I did a highlight dry brush with Tamiya sail white ? I think that’s what it’s called.🤫

49391159518_a2f11efc4c_b.jpg

And belts added. I used Tamiya tape and some spare PE bits and bobs I had lying around. 

49391160583_f928dfc32f_b.jpg

And the assembly together.

49391159568_c27da679e1_b.jpg 49391158948_c67630e78f_b.jpg

Happy with that. Mat coat on and I closed her up.

49391159928_25db785729_b.jpg

I’ll leave that now until next time. Not tomorrow s as I’m Fencing. Probs Friday.

Thanks for popping in.  Hope you’re all having a great week. Happy Modelling.

Johnny. 🤺

• Like 14

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Not tomorrow s as I’m Fencing.

Great looking office. Nice finish and the belts really top it off nicely. 

Fencing with pointy sticks, disposal of dodgy goods, or putting up barriers?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Nice work Johnny.

I do admire your weathering - it always adds that little extra realism.

I must try harder… :) 

Agreed 100%, on all accounts :clap:  (and I mean all, Ced... :wink:  :rofl: :rofl: )

Ciao

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, DonH said:

Great looking office. Nice finish and the belts really top it off nicely. 

Fencing with pointy sticks, disposal of dodgy goods, or putting up barriers?

Thankyou aaand the pointy stick variety.

hence the “🤺” after sign off. 😀 

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Johnny.

I do admire your weathering - it always adds that little extra realism.

I must try harder… :) 

Thanks MrB don’t be daft your stuff is the bees knees. 🐝

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Agreed 100%, on all accounts :clap:  (and I mean all, Ced... :wink:  :rofl: :rofl: )

Ciao

Thanks G you’re a star.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2020 at 9:59 AM, The Spadgent said:

Also this bit.

49371887736_03e3e2e47e_b.jpg

Says “exterior colour” is that in this case.

49371358918_62524a1154_b.jpg

Silver or black? 🤔

Hi Johnny

The 'bullet' in the intake (top pic) should be natural aluminium. It covered the petrol starter engine that got the turbine up to starting revs.

The front part of the engine nacelle was actually part of the engine (i.e. it came with replacement engines = regular maintenance). The lighter coloured ones like this could be natural metal (I have seen a bit of a sheen on it in some photos) or in RLM 02 grey primer. I'd go with aluminium as well. Same for inside the intake.

Matt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Mattlow said:

The 'bullet' in the intake (top pic) should be natural aluminium. It covered the petrol starter engine that got the turbine up to starting revs.

Great opportunity for a cutaway:

IMG_4824

Now you just need to find a 1:72 snowmobile engine.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4
  • Haha 2