Aaaarrgghhh I can’t take it anymore. The Messerschmitt Me 262B-1a/U1 by Airfix 1/72

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

It’s a much smaller shop than Ian Allen but at least it’s there. There are a few isles of kits, paint, brushes, fillers etc. some of the old IA scenic items and books. It’s a bit like the lower half of IA but a different shape.  We have to keep these places alive so please do visit. 🙌 it’s a bit out of the way but it’s close to my work so I’m happy for the supply link. 🤩 

and yes it’s a lovely kit. 🥳

You're right on both counts. Visits to Birmingham are planned!

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 4:24 AM, billn53 said:

Looking forward to this one. If I recall correctly, these new Airfix 262’s have a fit issue between the engines and wing. Somewhere in the BM forums there is info on how to fix that. You may want to do a forum search, or maybe someone else can point to it. 

- Bill

Editing my own post: There is a discussion about how to address the engine/wing fit issues here:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/airfix-1-72-messerschmitt-me262-a1a-a03088-build-r-t51436.html

and I found this on the Airfix forums:

”The cockpit and main gear well are very well detailed and fit of the fuselage components and wings are good. However, the fit of the engine nacelles to the wings is abysmal. It can be improved by judicious scraping and sanding but liberal use of filler in these areas appears to be unavoidable. I glued the lower wing to the fuselage before adding the wing tops and then adding the nacelles. I think this was a mistake and that the wing pieces should be glued together first before gluing the assembly to the fuselage. I think some trimming at the wing root will then be necessary to ensure the correct dihedral of the wings, but the nacelles will fit better than they do otherwise.”

Hope this helps 

And that is totally correct, i have been experiencing the same problems..... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Parabellum!!!! Now THAT is a model shop. 🤩🙌

It’s near to one of my work sites and have yet to venture in. I’m all for the LMS and support my local rail model shop who stock perfect plastic putty. That alone was enough for me to keep returning! One question on the me262 have you checked out the example at cosford? I was surprised at the size of it as well as how darn cool the aircraft was. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 9:55 AM, rob85 said:

I love having a good look round there, tiny but jam packed with little gems at a great price!

Rob

You’re not wrong. 🤩

On 1/10/2020 at 10:19 AM, janneman36 said:

And that is totally correct, i have been experiencing the same problems..... 

right I need to look at this. 🤔

12 hours ago, Wince said:

It’s near to one of my work sites and have yet to venture in. I’m all for the LMS and support my local rail model shop who stock perfect plastic putty. That alone was enough for me to keep returning! One question on the me262 have you checked out the example at cosford? I was surprised at the size of it as well as how darn cool the aircraft was. 

I must have seen it. We went to the air show two years running but missed it last year. I must go back. 🤩

• Like 2

Morning guys. A little more on this lovely kit. Thankyou by the way for all the comments. It’s almost like a different forum over here I swear, 🙌❤️
right any way the fit issues. I’m going to do a dry fit before I clean out the hens.

Fuselage together and wings on.

49366622366_9dbf15a98a_b.jpg

Not bad as all at the root.

And the dihedral looks good too.

49366622126_aeb77aff9a_b.jpg

The underside also looks like nothing a dab of ppp wouldn’t put right.

49366160703_0a5d5b0c21_b.jpg

There are seams but I need to check references to see which ones to get rid of. Nothing too crazy at the rear. (Trust me i’ve had worse) the front isn’t miles off either.

49366622371_1ef47be1f4_b.jpg

Sure there’s a step but after the suit thing I’m looking forward to fixing it. 🤣🤪

both on and dry fitted it’s not quite the horror show I thought.

49366836432_234033da7b_b.jpg

And close up.

49366160568_2eecc9192c_b.jpg

Mearly a flesh wound. 🤺

I’ll put my mind to work while I sport the hens. We’re out tonight but I have this afternoon free so you know what that means. 😀

On a more somber note I was devastated to learn of the passing of Neil peart.

In my opinion one of the finest drummers and lyricists the world had known. A tear was shed and much Rush shall be listened to. I will dedicate this build to him and the rest of his family. May they all Rest In Peace. 😔

Take care ya’ll.

see you later and as always.

happy modelling.
Johnny. 🤩 

• Like 21

Having  a cunning plan to build all three of the Airfix 262 kits, I am up for this build big time and I promise not to mention Macbeth, well not much anyway.

Saintly of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Having  a cunning plan to build all three of the Airfix 262 kits, I am up for this build big time and I promise not to mention Macbeth, well not much anyway.

Saintly of Mars 👽

Oh please not Macbeth, I don't need GCSE flashbacks! 

I can still recite act 1 scene 1......

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Oh please not Macbeth, I don't need GCSE flashbacks! 

I can still recite act 1 scene 1......

I was referring more to Blackadder. It seems that our Johnny has a similar superstition to the actors and has to cleanse it in the same way. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h--HR7PWfp0

There, I got away with not mentioning Macbeth. :oops:

Flashbacks? You will be having dreams about your exams for the rest of your life. Please don't recite act one, scene one here, we want Johnny to finish the build, not have his nose drop off as a result of cleansing the evil spirits. I mean, imagine the mess when he caught a cold!*

Martian 👽

*Elizabeth 1st circa 1570

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Spadgent said:

@Martian Hale ooooh you swine I’m trying to glue bits together here. 🤪🤩🤣😂👃👃👃 ooch. 🤪 

Johnny tweak. 

See what I mean Adam?

Martian 👽

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Flashbacks? You will be having dreams about your exams for the rest of your life. Please don't recite act one, scene one here, we want Johnny to finish the build, not have his nose drop off as a result of cleansing the evil spirits. I mean, imagine the mess when he caught a cold!*

Martian 👽

*Elizabeth 1st circa 1570

When shall we three meet again in thunder lightning or in rain?

I still have A Levels to get through.... Thankfully no more English lit though, all sciences and maths from now so nice and easy. Need to get A* A A though to do what I want

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

When shall we three meet again in thunder lightning or in rain?

I still have A Levels to get through.... Thankfully no more English lit though, all sciences and maths from now so nice and easy. Need to get A* A A though to do what I want

Then you have still worse to come. Mrs Martian is a Master of Arts from Oxford and she too still has exam nightmares.

Encouraging of Mars 👽

• Like 1

Ahem. And from the heath back to an airfield somewhere in Germany. Johnny, and other builders, check photographs. 

The real 262 had putty used on the panel joints. Certain parts of it should be smooth.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nothing too crazy at the rear. (Trust me i’ve had worse) 

On a more somber note I was devastated to learn of the passing of Neil Peart.

Ooh err missus! I do hope you're walking normally again dear chap! I'm sure it wasn't any fault of Macbeth anyway. Ooops!

Totally agree re Neil. A master of his art in every sense.

Ian

• Like 1

How does the airfix one compare to the old Revell kit? Used to confuse me why the bottom of the tub was detailed until I discovered the wheel wells were open (and thus the bottom of the cockpit would be visible). I built a fair few of the original airfix 262s but always felt fond of the Revell one. And yes, the 262 should be smooth in places. After looking at the spit and hurri in brum science museum for a good long while even panels on those were often not as noticeable as they are on kits. I will tag along for the ride on this one if you don’t mind

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wince said:

How does the airfix one compare to the old Revell kit? Used to confuse me why the bottom of the tub was detailed until I discovered the wheel wells were open (and thus the bottom of the cockpit would be visible). I built a fair few of the original airfix 262s but always felt fond of the Revell one. And yes, the 262 should be smooth in places. After looking at the spit and hurri in brum science museum for a good long while even panels on those were often not as noticeable as they are on kits. I will tag along for the ride on this one if you don’t mind

Well i have both and they both have their pro’s and con’s but the Airfix does have my preference because of the ease of build and detail in some area’s like the underside were you can see the tub which is quite detailed...

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

You had to say it, didn't you?    :devil:

Cheers,

Bill

I did try hard not to. Alright I didn't try that hard and am indeed the swine that Johnny describes me as. 🐖

Martian the Space Pig (oink, oink) 👽

• Haha 5

On 1/11/2020 at 5:00 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Ahem. And from the heath back to an airfield somewhere in Germany. Johnny, and other builders, check photographs. 

The real 262 had putty used on the panel joints. Certain parts of it should be smooth.

I’ll try and Sus it out. This is a good ref shot.

49371416963_b34d37e45c_b.jpg

On 1/11/2020 at 5:52 PM, Wince said:

yes I thought the same about the tub. 🤪

I only have this kit so someone will be along in a moment to tell you. 😇

On 1/11/2020 at 7:42 PM, janneman36 said:

Well i have both and they both have their pro’s and con’s but the Airfix does have my preference because of the ease of build and detail in some area’s like the underside were you can see the tub which is quite detailed...

cheers, Jan

There you go. I love BM. 😍

On 1/11/2020 at 7:50 PM, Navy Bird said:

You had to say it, didn't you?    :devil:

Cheers,

Bill

👃🤫🤣

On 1/11/2020 at 7:58 PM, Martian Hale said:

I did try hard not to. Alright I didn't try that hard and am indeed the swine that Johnny describes me as. 🐖

Martian the Space Pig (oink, oink) 👽

Still loves ya baby. 🙌

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Morning! 🤩

back at the little wonder. A few questions too but we will get there in a bit.

first up I primed the office.

49371353408_6158645169_b.jpg

And assembled the fins.

49371431898_5f907c39f6_b.jpg

As requested by. @janneman36 I did a dry fit with the office in place.

49371812491_cb9f048114_b.jpg

Bottom looks Nice.

49372018827_eff4f22b76_b.jpg

and the top.🤗 I’m not sure what I’ve done but I’m staying quiet. 🤫😂

I’m glad I did the dry fit though as I noticed this pesky pin mark.

49371427493_c7d81cd097_b.jpg

Ouch. 😩 so out with the filler.

49371357243_22a0a7d879_b.jpg

Here too.

49371810916_309a21bce1_b.jpg

Drying, sanding, Mr S and a last prime aaand Ping. 😇👍

49371357963_f84a0dcb39_b.jpg

I got some of this in stock so decided to give it a go.

49371892091_a9573c757e_b.jpg

It it always gloss? Also upon cleaning with vallejo AN cleaner and water the paint congealed. Is this normal? 
many way it went on ok.

Office pre shade.

49371887066_1d14798fba_b.jpg 49371886451_48042828b1_b.jpg

I’m doing it mid/ dark grey. Is that right?

Also this bit.

49371887736_03e3e2e47e_b.jpg

Says “exterior colour” is that in this case.

49371358918_62524a1154_b.jpg

Silver or black? 🤔

back to it. Thanks for popping in oh here’s my very first attempt at mottle worms.

49371888686_6ff8a9f45d_b.jpg

A bit blobby and heavy at one end but I’ll get there.

all the best y’all.

HappyModelling.

Johnny worm blob. 🌵

• Like 14