Syrian AirForce Su-22M4 Kitty Hawk 1/48 - finished!

On 2/22/2020 at 8:24 PM, harvy5 said:

Hi Werner and Uncle!

Racks.For helicopters are better. But you must cutting rack from pylon. Su-24 and newer types Soviet aircafts have shorter bomb pylons.

Bombs are typ ODAB-500PMV.If I remember correctly , explosion's setting is at 50m for used in cities.

Thanks a lot Harvy! Very much appreciated!

Great photos as well.... that is a hell of a load... even including tanks!

Is that 4 of 6 bombs in total? Can't fully see the rear racks...

What does PMV stand for?

The second photo is in Slovakia I assume? So a quite standard type of bombs?

:thanks:

On 2/22/2020 at 1:56 AM, Uncle Uncool said:

where's our luv... (sunk in silent contemplation of those eyes) :tmi:

Been procrastinating on yer Fitter build, have you?

UNC!!!

Frightening those eyes... similar to does 500kg bombs above... 😱

The need to look up procrastinating even further delays the build... :P

no, actually waiting for resin chaff /flare dispensers to be shipped ... and building a Safir and a Harrier in the group builds in between ;) and life ... :cheers:

... now  needa source the bomb load as well :)

hope to proceed soon!

12 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- Some news of my Su17 marred by the problem I've had with banana  belly. It is in final approach thanks to my deputy technical adviser Miss VERA;.

- Eventually I have some questionnement about the Hungarian scheme  choosen on the HAD 48172  sporting the old national  arrow insigna. I not sure  Su 17/22 had ever carried these marking.

OCK4Ab.jpg

Wow!! Great paint work!!!!!

not really old , but high viz currrent national markings. the Su-22M3s started out with the Hungarian star roundels... 

BUT please remove them alltogether!! Add some Soviet stars, I am sure there was a Soviet Su-17M3 in exachly this scheme... 

But surely not a Hungarian... those were all R-29 fat engine powered.. it is the only scheme not buildable from this kit... and HAD is to blame as well of course :(

Poor fertökaradas.

Desolé for the bad news... really!

Edited by exdraken
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Thanks a lot Harvy! Very much appreciated!

Great photos as well.... that is a hell of a load... even including tanks!

Is that 4 of 6 bombs in total? Can't fully see the rear racks...

What does PMV stand for?

The second photo is in Slovakia I assume? So a quite standard type of bombs?

:thanks:

It's just one picture from the Russian site about the war in Syria
Armament is standard, 6xODAB-500 and 2xPTB-800
This PMV will probably be the type of bomb activation. It is a new species developed in the 90's

These letters after the weight designation are essentially specifications. In this case, I think it's a barometric switch type designation.

ODAB is very much, explosive , aviatio , bomb ,

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, exdraken said:

Wow!! Great paint work!!!!!

not really old , but high viz currrent national markings. the Su-22M3s started out with the Hungarian star roundels... 

BUT please remove them alltogether!! Add some Soviet stars, I am sure there was a Soviet Su-17M3 in exachly this scheme... 

But surely not a Hungarian... those were all R-29 fat engine powered.. it is the only scheme not buildable from this kit... and HAD is to blame as well of course :(

Poor fertökaradas.

Desolé for the bad news... really!

- Vielen Danke Werner, I will follow your advice,first I was not really attired by the Hungarian scheme but what make my decision is that the engine doesn't fit for hungarian Fitters and third I wanted to build Su 17M3r  with KKR reco pod and I'm not sure this version was in squadron duty with the Hungarn so .......Let it be..

Jean Michael . On the photo what insert Sebastian is nice to see pylon for KKR.
Su-22M-3r designation is only "western". All Su-22M-3 or M-4 can carry KKR. Before use, only the technician will replace the control panel on the upper left of the instrument panel.

Similarly it is with newer series Su-22 that can carry Kh-29T and Kh-58. Only exchange TV screens for control panel anti-radar missiles.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, harvy5 said:

Jean Michael . On the photo what insert Sebastian is nice to see pylon for KKR.
Su-22M-3r designation is only "western". All Su-22M-3 or M-4 can carry KKR. Before use, only the technician will replace the control panel on the upper left of the instrument panel.

Similarly it is with newer series Su-22 that can carry Kh-29T and Kh-58. Only exchange TV screens for control panel anti-radar missiles.

-Ahoj Harvy

Vd'aka za presnost, I've found this designation in some magazine, I think it's another fake generated during cold war about warpac material. I'm interested in the photo of KKR pylon but I don't find it, the ones I have show the pod under the plane without much details so installing the device of the kit is much like a guess work;.

- After this one complete I will built an Su 22-M4 I may install some missile under the feathers, it will be interesting to have control panel photo

- Oh YES after a closer look I noticed the pylon. So I assume Hungarian FITTER could carry KKR..but I don't know more about it..

1 hour ago, IPMS19 said:

-Ahoj Harvy

Vd'aka za presnost, I've found this designation in some magazine, I think it's another fake generated during cold war about warpac material. I'm interested in the photo of KKR pylon but I don't find it, the ones I have show the pod under the plane without much details so installing the device of the kit is much like a guess work;.

- After this one complete I will built an Su 22-M4 I may install some missile under the feathers, it will be interesting to have control panel photo

- Oh YES after a closer look I noticed the pylon. So I assume Hungarian FITTER could carry KKR..but I don't know more about it..

It's only aerodynamically pylon that allows mounting KKR .All installations are below the fuselage covers. 

But for big missiles you need special pylons. I put them on that KH poo-poo. A for Anti-Radar M. and guidance container.

I used BA-58 VJUGA container for targeting Kh-58 and Kh-25MP.The container and pylons at least visually corrected the evil shape belly.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 8:24 PM, harvy5 said:

Bombs are typ ODAB-500PMV.

spacer.png

https://the48ers.com/odab-500pmv-500-kg-air-fuel-explosive-bomb.html

photo_10_1538224243.jpg

those are the correct guys,  no!

thanks for the help Harvy!, very much appreciated :) 

no I need to source 3 pairs of them......

Edit:

directly ordered at Amigo Models... site is in Russian but manageable ;)

nobody else had 3 pairs in stock... :banghead: 

those dreaded fuel-air-explosive bombs you here in the media from time to time... nasty things...

http://roe.ru/eng/catalog/aerospace-systems/air-bombs/odab-500pmv/

looking forward to them already!

at least a realistic- real load out!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 7:00 PM, exdraken said:

The need to look up procrastinating even further delays the build... :P

:rofl2: Oh, my mate. You've just cracked me up with that. Nice to see this thread on first page again. Didn't want to push ye round.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 7:00 PM, exdraken said:

no, actually waiting for resin chaff /flare dispensers to be shipped ... and building a Safir and a Harrier in the group builds in between ;) and life ... :cheers:

Awesome, which ones did you purchase finally?

Those ODAB-500 look menacing. Very beautiful bomb for Eastern manufacture, by the way! Ruskie bombs seldom look so elegant.

Hi Jean-Michel, Serkan and Harvy! Great to have the three of ye tagging along.

Yeh, it is...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

my Su-24 chaff / flare dispensers arrived today :)

by the way, a great inspirational Su-22 pic!

head-on Polish air-force

190908061732653293.jpg

https://nsa40.casimages.com/img/2019/09/08/190908061732653293.jpg

so, moving on to some new work done :)

the wing mounted landing light actually is not there acording to Harvy, thanks ... removed and filled... (WIP),

HeMhDYu.jpg

that is what came today, 

LvzLVpO.jpg

the plan was to use all four to make just 2...

nApNa7z.jpg

then I reconsidered and will use the rear part form the KH plastic dispensers, as they look more like the small diameter ones on the Syrian planes :) 

THlmM5M.jpg

some more cutting and glueing involved though ;)

x2zJSRh.jpg

a bit like the real thing, made up of individual modules ;)

that is how iw looks on the read fuselage,

still need to fabricate rear wedges 

7iHkhY9.jpg

cheers!

Werner

• Like 4

:analintruder: At last! Yehses...

spacer.png

Foremost cartridges (on the Quickboost piece) would be flares, no? :lol: Chaff cartridges are aft (on the Kitty Hawk double pieces, yeh? Or the other way round? :hmmm: 

I infer that you don't want to sacrifice the remaining pair of Quickboost resin pieces in the sake of the missing rear wedges, do you? What did you buy four pieces for then? :bleh:

Nice to see you back on "they're" bench with this build, Werner, my mate.

Yeh, it is...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Foremost cartridges (on the Quickboost piece) would be flares, no? :lol: Chaff cartridges are aft (on the Kitty Hawk double pieces, yeh? Or the other way round? :hmmm: 

I have no idea... but I'd also like to know!

When I saw a Polish Su-22 perform at an airshow last year with flares, they were kind of exercise flares and really small but many, especially compared to the F-16 or Gripen ones....

40 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

I infer that you don't want to sacrifice the remaining pair of Quickboost resin pieces in the sake of the missing rear wedges, do you? What did you buy four pieces for then? :bleh:

No, not any longer... the wedges are already WIP....  cut from resin  pouring blocks from a MiG-23MLD dispenser.... :wall:

Originally I planned to make one Su-22 dispenser out of a Su-24 pair.... silly me ;)

• 2 weeks later...

babysteps,

I do hope in the right direction!

aux doors on the intake mounted, the lower ones closed as the M4 as them only go inward (limited to M1.6 in that course) the upper one obviously drop inwards anyways!

1exU8Ov.jpg

HUD and windscreen glued as well finally!

vHQtDVP.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

babysteps,

I do hope in the right direction!

Short steps, but certainly in quite the right direction, Werner, my mate! :worthy:

I really like what you've done with the chaff/flare dispensers. They look awesome. I now really fancy building my Fitter with only two of these broad type of dispensers instead of the four narrow ones which come in the kit. ODAB-500s look awful sweet! :inlove:

Incidentally; did you see the Russian crossing your territory on "they're" way to Italy?

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Short steps, but certainly in quite the right direction, Werner, my mate! :worthy:

I really like what you've done with the chaff/flare dispensers. They look awesome. I now really fancy building my Fitter with only two of these broad type of dispensers instead of the four narrow ones which come in the kit. ODAB-500s look awful sweet! :inlove:

Incidentally; did you see the Russian crossing your territory on "they're" way to Italy?

Cheers,

Unc2

thanks Unc!

no unfortunately I did not see the aid/ hospital flight! surely would have been a great sight!  six  Il-76 heavys

https://theaviationist.com/2020/03/22/russian-military-launches-humanitarian-air-bridge-sending-il-76-airlifters-to-help-italy-fight-covid-19/

but they went way south..... ;)  all the best and speed improvement to Italy (and Spain, and and and ) but we her are also only working from home....not that easy with 2 youngsters needing attention all the time!

managed to finally glue the wings on,  a design that really works well!

and some aux intakes...

ZLN9zQn.jpg

DB8o6kI.jpgdO42aRi.jpg

HRSdTY4.jpg

the slight droop of the front section, including the windscreen is apparent here!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 6

thx Col! ;)

so I will keep posting ...

in sunny skys...

RYBWcwX.jpg

zFZHnsx.jpgzvPOy2g.jpg

and the opposite,but with everything but the stab mounted

qPrZnRb.jpg

I used blutac equivalent to closed the gun access panels termporariliy

wixoaoC.jpg 

ready for ....

mottle camo!

6oUBYuk.jpg

CRRNhLk.jpg

• Like 4

underside painted in a rel. dark blue-grey

hC8uq3c.jpg

wing overlap is in some Alclad mix, probably need some more masking ;)

ncKDvO0.jpg

generally, what is the verdict if you absolutley can't find a landing gear incl. doors you are sure to have build a month ago already:::: :wall:

• Like 5