Syrian AirForce Su-22M4 Kitty Hawk 1/48 - finished!

Syrian Air Force as used by government troops for many controversial attacks during the still ongoing war in Syria

ingredients:

• Kitty Hawk Su-17M4
  • CWS intake and belly correction
  • Yahu cockpit PE
  • Amigo Models Al-21F nozzle
  • Master pitots and cannon barrels

some decals, most likely Begemot for the MiG-25... did not think about the Su-22M3/M4 kit which would have had them directly...

tMpMwJO.jpg

mkoqDo0.jpg

pSOZQqN.jpg

some references:

https://falkeeinsgreatplanes.blogspot.com/2017/03/syrian-su-22-fitters-using-s-8-rockets.html

https://en.muraselon.com/2019/08/syrian-air-force-su-22-goes-down-over-idlib-what-we-know-dont-know-so-far/

sfb-750x430.jpg

https://tass.com/world/1014686

1199261.jpg

https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201807251066679156-daesh-syria-israel-plane-pilot/

1066681101.jpg

look at those flare dispensers... any idea where to source those from? first I though MiG-23MLD... but seem different in having 2 rows of cartridges...

from the not so nice recieving end..

https://syria.liveuamap.com/de/2018/26-april-photos-of-the-syrian-su22-during-raid---

21649677_0.jpg

a small start:

soUFfKZ.jpg,

nose section, to get a feeling for KH kits.... my first one... lets see!

nice detail, complicated assembly.. that is for sure!

fK7LLRn.jpg

PE maybe not that grey in natural light. 

4CFfz9X.jpg

highly detailed, very nice AL-21 nozzle! :) :)

z0qz2CF.jpg

and a start on the cockpit, the K-36 seat (quite nice, with PE harness will be passable I guess!)

more soon!

cheers, 

Werner

• Like 14

:analintruder: Noooiiiceee...!!!

Following this one, Werner. Interesting the way you've started putting together the forward fuselage. :hmmm:

Quite an assortment of aftermarket bits, some mandatory, some whimsical, shall I say? :lol:

Yeh, I shall...

Cheers,

Unc2

Another cool project and what a gucci selection of aftermarket bling. Those photos of the real thing are spectacular as well.

On 1/10/2020 at 12:05 AM, Uncle Uncool said:

¿Dónde estás, Werner, mi hermano? :spider: No progress on yer build today?

Well, here I wait, standing.

Cheers,

Unc2

si insistes.... ;) 

some progress to report

cockpit work:

lyumn3a.jpg

orpId42.jpg

and thoughts on the replacement intake shock cone from CWS:

Son8PAR.jpgsGN6xrg.jpg

1eovmPO.jpg

On 1/9/2020 at 1:07 AM, Uncle Uncool said:

Interesting the way you've started putting together the forward fuselage. :hmmm:

no, just dry fitting....

• Like 7

Brilliant! Fitter is such a mean (was: bad-bottom) looking aircraft!

Nice amount of aftermarket and that scheme is looking great. Will be following with interest :) 

Edited by reini
Forum doesn't like a synonym for 'bottom' that starts with an 'a'...
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, exdraken said:

si insistes.... ;) 

Sí, sí claro que insisto, ¡y mucho! :lol:

Impressive work on that cockpit. I should try those Yahu bits.

15 hours ago, exdraken said:

and thoughts on the replacement intake shock cone from CWS:

Son8PAR.jpgsGN6xrg.jpg

Me thinks that the CWS intake shock cones are better than HAD's in that they mask the nose landing gear wheel bay inside the intake. You could see the edges of the plastic wheel bay with the HAD bit. Also, you've got the auxiliary intake door arms with the CWS bit. Or do you fear that the aft upper part in the CWS might interfere with the IP coaming part in the kit?

Nice work, Werner.

Cheers,

Unc2

Edited by Uncle Uncool
Wheel bay is not the same as well bay...
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Impressive work on that cockpit. I should try those Yahu bits.

Me thinks that the CWS intake shock cones are better than HAD's in that they mask the nose landing gear wheel bay inside the intake. You could see the edges of the plastic wheel bay with the HAD bit. Also, you've got the auxiliary intake door arms with the CWS bit. Or do you fear that the aft upper part in the CWS might interfere with the IP coaming part in the kit?

Gracias Unc!

The Yaho IP looks really great, about the side consoles I am not that sure... the basic plastic cockpit parts, although ledd detail, have more depth.....

The CWS intake looks great I think, I never had a HAD one.... was always ou of stock until the CWS one reached me also already some time ago.... 

regarding fit, I think CWS used available space quite well. Still fits just just..... ;) some alignment locator pins hav to be removed.... will definitely be a challenge to close nicely...

a4hqNxD.jpg

no problem with the coaming and cockpit, the gear bay moved in the photo, sorry ;)

b7ZhUFZ.jpg

that is how all looks when pressed together with my mighty fingers....

l1SXewG.jpg

60A69Uy.jpg

vzTsHBi.jpg

that is all for today folks!

thanks everybody for your interest :) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

The CWS intake looks great I think, I never had a HAD one.... was always ou of stock until the CWS one reached me also already some time ago.... 

Indeed! The CWS bit looks weekend.

Well, HAD's one ain't bad, but the lenght goes back only halfways compared to yers; here:

spacer.png

Got mine as soon as it came out, but then when I learnt about Stenka's I couldn't but think that I HAD been HAD! :rofl2:

I'm quite sure you've already seen how the HAD piece looks inside the kit fuselage once installed, yeh:

spacer.png

The sides of both the cockpit tub and nose landing gear well can be easily seen behind the HAD bit, but I think I could extend the length of my HAD bit a little further back, or perhaps I'll just order one CWS bit along when Stenka finally releases his wing pylons for this kit. Any idea when this is going to happen? Taking a bit longer now.

Incidentally; was thinking about the day before yesterday, when I was tipsy; what sort of music rocks Werner boat?

Yeh, whut is it...?

Cheers,

Unc2 

On 1/13/2020 at 1:48 AM, Uncle Uncool said:

Indeed! The CWS bit looks weekend.

Well, HAD's one ain't bad, but the lenght goes back only halfways compared to yers; here:

ok, I see:

MqnSD2K.jpg

CWS vs KH .... ... .. . 

EZpugDJ.jpgGVLTpum.jpg

7BO33mL.jpg

SkmuzJ9.jpg

starting to look ok :)

uJDGMwr.jpg

rear fuselage. speedbrakes only fit regularly well...  :(

hardly ever they can be seen open on real planes....

that's it for tonight!

cheers, Werner

• Like 3

Very good work on "they're" CWS nose shock cone, Werner. One look to that awful piece on the kit-provided part, and it always reminds me of Matt's comment on his build review on D00g's Models: "Really...?" :rofl2: Shut up, compressor... :lol:

I'm going to give Stenka a nudge to see what's with "they're" pylons for this kit and the new MiG-23ML nose cone correction bit for the Trumpy kit.   

Just received "they're" XMM 1/48 resin intake trunks for the ICM Foxbat kit, which are a close fit for the Kitty Hawk one! Might as well buy Stenka's ventral strakes + parachute release mechanism for it.

Oh, "they're", "they're", "they're"... sometimes I wonder whether it's too much for you blokes to read me like that all the time, y'know. It's sort of an OCD now.

Will have to drop it, somehow.

Yeh, me will...

Cheers,

Unc2

PS: Building the lower speed brakes partially dropped on mine, as if a minor hydraulic power loss had occurred after engine shutdown.  

Edited by Uncle Uncool
Can't we say D-O-O-G's on this joint now?
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

PS: Building the lower speed brakes partially dropped on mine, as if a minor hydraulic power loss had occurred after engine shutdown.  

for good reason... the fit of they're speedbrakes leaves to B desired...

I'm going to give Stenka a nudge to see what's with "they're" pylons for this kit    

yeah... I guess I will have to cope without them.... on the last Fitter I did (KP) I modified the Eduard one they offerd for the MiG-29/Su-27 B-8m1 rocket pod installation

... not perfect, but well detailed ;) 

on the other hand:

ANAqGe0.jpg

time to say good bye to the open front fuselage and its ingredients!

BJtjJR0.jpg

wyW65Li.jpg

v10G9oy.jpg

fb1tPoZ.jpg

the fuselage halfs need some force and patience to stay closed.

the CWS shock-cone was not really glued in, did not bother, as it stays by itself..... and centered as well!

I am not fully following the instructions here, not KH not CWS in respect to the belly insert... we will see how this turns out!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 6

Quite a job of luv there, my mate!

26 minutes ago, exdraken said:

the CWS shock-cone was not really glued in, did not bother, as it stays by itself..... and centered as well!

If both fuselage halves happened not to be glued together yet, you might try to secure the CWS intake shock cone bit to at least one side of the fuselage halves, by using a slow-curing bonder such as two-part epoxy so as to adjust the centered location of it before gluing both fuselage halves rather permanently.

To leave the intake shock cone correction bit alone, free inside the tube, that is, would be like leaving an anxious hamster inside his/her wheel taking for granted they won't make it spin, all of the sudden. :worry:

27 minutes ago, exdraken said:

I am not fully following the instructions here, not KH not CWS in respect to the belly insert... we will see how this turns out!

Gambler... :lol:

Take care with the fitting of the nose landing gear strut after having completed the NLG wheel bay, as it's a nightmare to try and fit it afterwards, I heard.

Yeh, me did...

Cheers,

Unc2 

On 1/15/2020 at 11:18 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

Gambler... :lol:

Take care with the fitting of the nose landing gear strut after having completed the NLG wheel bay, as it's a nightmare to try and fit it afterwards

I added the small retractor? strut already.. hope the main one will be easy to fix later...

today some cutting and dryfitting of the belly insert..

eBeQlDV.jpg

VDdcyX8.jpg

looks quite ok, some more filing and it should work... :)

X11x1Xz.jpg

feels and looks a bit like a jig-saw :D

• Like 6

:blink2: Wow... just wow...

Went to the Bottle-O to get me some pints of India Pale Ales for the evening, and when the vendor asked what I wanted, I went like: "Wow... just wow...", thinking about your build, so the vendor answered the request of the bloke who was queuing behind me. :lol:

• Haha 1

Went to the Bottle-O to get me some pints of India Pale Ales for the evening,

only Austrian beer here, cheers!

:cheers:

and superglue... :drunk:

not much will be seen unfortunatly:

roGZRRM.jpg

PlstJOG.jpg

CSdZrh7.jpg

my plan is to close everything at once... not exactly Stenka's recommendation, but it looks like it will work.... 

• Like 3

only Austrian beer here, cheers!

:cheers:

And it should be awesome! Only one that I get down here is Ottakringer's (spelling, yeh?). Any others you'd suggest?

Cheers, Werner. About to be tipsy on IPAs here. Just finished off my second pint - two more pints to go (hic!).

not much will be seen unfortunatly:

roGZRRM.jpg

PlstJOG.jpg

I'll save the front compressor face and most of what follows behind it, as it's really useless once the fuselages are glued together. Will just use the kit parts up to the flame holder. Those Amigo Models bits look darn good.  Remember that there should be a couple milimetres recess between the engine shrowd and the exhaust ring. The exhaust ring protrudes from the engine shrowd in the kit - dunno how it is with "they're" Amigo Models bits 

Wish there was a stronger option for the main landing gear tho. :hmmm:

Build's looking weekend, Werner, my mate!

Yeh, it is...

:cheers:(hold my beer)

Unc2

21 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

And it should be awesome! Only one that I get down here is Ottakringer's (spelling, yeh?). Any others you'd suggest?

I'll save the front compressor face and most of what follows behind it, as it's really useless once the fuselages are glued together. Will just use the kit parts up to the flame holder. Those Amigo Models bits look darn good.  Remember that there should be a couple milimetres recess between the engine shrowd and the exhaust ring. The exhaust ring protrudes from the engine shrowd in the kit - dunno how it is with "they're" Amigo Models bits 

Wish there was a stronger option for the main landing gear tho. :hmmm:

Ottakringer, vale... Gösser Export maybe you could get, from my home country Styria :) 

255px-G%C3%B6sser_logo.svg.png

yeah, the nozzles needs to be mounted a bit deeper (6, 7 mm) , but that of course makes it less visible :(

there is nothing to mount the Amigo parts to, so I improvised and cut up the kit's engine, used it as  mount... gives at least some surface to glue the resin to .....

landing gear? there is always (I assume) the great SAC option...

for the MiG-23 a new manufacturer produces quite expensive, but hopefully better  and stand corrected stuff.... hope to use it soon as well .... but no luck for the Fitter...

https://the48ers.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?description=&manufacturer[0]=1246&manufacturer_code=&name=&p=2&price[from]=&price[to]=&sku=

e1yBeyr.jpg

closed it is, and not too bad! 

rwbiB8s.jpg

I did not forget the nozzle. but need to position it a bit more centrally.... (but how ....)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 4

On 1/8/2020 at 11:36 PM, exdraken said:

look at those flare dispensers... any idea where to source those from? first I though MiG-23MLD... but seem different in having 2 rows of cartridges...

These flare dispensers are in fact modules. They come in different calibre of cartriges. They are the same for MiG-23 versions, and Su-22. But 23's can carry 2 of these modules, while Su-22 carries 3.
Here you can see that some modules were painted in MiG-23 colors - obviously taken from another planes.

SyrianSu+22M3+January20174.jpg

Edited by 0viking0
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

Gösser Export maybe you could get, from my home country Styria :) 

255px-G%C3%B6sser_logo.svg.png

:hmmm:I've seen this brand down here somewhere, methinks... Will try to find out. Ostyria, huh? Like in The Lord Of The Rings? Rohiri...!! :lol:

landing gear? there is always (I assume) the great SAC option...

for the MiG-23 a new manufacturer produces quite expensive, but hopefully better  and stand corrected stuff.... hope to use it soon as well .... but no luck for the Fitter...

https://the48ers.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?description=&manufacturer[0]=1246&manufacturer_code=&name=&p=2&price[from]=&price[to]=&sku=

I didn't have good results with SAC - my Monogram 1/48 Thud is still complaining she's got no proper legs. What's with these Wind-Up ones? Are they white metal as well? No love for the Fitter, but I recently bought G-Factor's ones, which are real tough by comparison. They're made of brass, and I made a stress test with ones for the Trumpy 1/48 F-106. It took a helluva lot of force for the axle to break. I know I've got the piccy somewhere.

e1yBeyr.jpg

I'm happy that the correction bit by Stenka fixes the issue with the banana pretty well. It's looking awesome already.

rwbiB8s.jpg

I did not forget the nozzle. but need to position it a bit more centrally.... (but how ....)

Judging by the slot on the lower right part of that piccy, the nozzle needs to be adjusted to the starboard, right? How about trying to move towards the right with a tiny screwdriver or a piece of wire to see how much the nozzle can be moved? Don't exert force on the exhaust ring but more deep. If you're not going to drop the lower speedbrakes, I'd make a hole inside the airbrake well and see if I can push the nozzle to the desired position. Maybe you could fix it in that position permanently by sticking a piece of plastic rod or stretched sprue with cyano so as to hold the nozzle in that direction.

Cheers,

Unc2