Syrian AirForce Su-22M4 Kitty Hawk 1/48 - finished!

3 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

You see...???

Yeah!!!

What did you do to it? Try to eat it? Did it try to eat you?

Poor thing....

:P

Edited by exdraken

58 minutes ago, exdraken said:

What did you do to it? Try to eat it? Did it try to eat you?

Oh...!!?? :huh:

But didn't you read my antepenultimate post, Werner, my mate? Ya kidding "they're"? :lol: I was conducting experiments on the aftermarket landing gear, and how weak those SAC bits are that they get bent by just support"they're" kit weight.

It took 0.050985810648895 dynes to just bend the 1/48 SAC F-105 white metal legs. Things are so fragile that they will break if you try to unbend them.

These brass bits tho; it took 1.0197162129779 dynes to break them like that. The axle is so tough that it didn't bend; it just snapped and almost hit me in the eye, not try to eat me!

So that's why I was asking you whether you knew what the Wind-Up bits were made of. They look white metal to me, yo.

Well, do you?

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Poor thing....

Not quite; actually, they're very expensive, and difficult to come by. :bleh:

Yeh, they are...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Thanks 1

😍😍😍 Such a slender and sexy bey@tch! No...? :lol:

Hola, Werner. I really like how you took care of the recess of the burner ring with respect to the engine shroud. 

Your Fitter is looking superb already. Congratulations on a job very well done, my mate.

Very nice, yeh, it is...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

I like the progress you are making on this relatively unknown type.  I`ve always wished for a modern tooled version of the Fitter in 72nd scale.  Until that becomes reality, I`m going to sit back and enjoy watching this one take shape.  :clap2:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

I like the progress you are making on this relatively unknown type.  I`ve always wished for a modern tooled version of the Fitter in 72nd scale.  Until that becomes reality, I`m going to sit back and enjoy watching this one take shape.  :clap2:

Thanks!

Search for the Modelsvit Fitters!

https://www.scalemates.com/de/kits/modelsvit-72018-su-17--997048

They are supposed to be the best all around in any scale, come in many variations and are correct!!

Edited by exdraken

the wing design in second to non :) :thumbsup:

eBkXzbS.jpg

9GnHw9m.jpg

fit is great!

22tnlE4.jpg

ene8rIM.jpg

pity you can't have moving slats and flaps... would be great to have it o all out and movable ;)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's coming along very well, my mate! :clap2:

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

pity you can't have moving slats and flaps... would be great to have it o all out and movable ;)

I think it's better that it were the way it is, for I'm afraid it'd be way toy-like if you could have it all out and movable, no? :lol:

Question is which road you're going to go. It's been said that parked Fitters all have their wings swept back, but I purchased the Cutting Edge Dirty Wing set for my KoPro kit. The width of the wings on that kit were just humongous; still remember when a fella modeller pointed that out to me, it was so discouraging.

So now that this Kitty Hawk kit brings thinner wings with the option for dirty wings, I care very little how customary it is for parked Fitters to have "they're" wings swept back, as I like my Fitters with dirty wings instead.

Yeh, me does...

Cheers,

Unc2

Edited by Uncle Uncool
Typo for being tipsy. IPA time! Weeeeee...!!!
  • Like 2

clean wing it will be this time, 

15 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

It's been said that parked Fitters all have their wings swept back, but I purchased the Cutting Edge Dirty Wing set for my KoPro kit.

I did as well, 

but was not Cutting Edge but some alternative.... ;) 

looks fantastic, bat also the inner flap design still needed to be modified they move back and then drop, not only drop....

I did a KP/ Kopro/ Eduard kit with said Tigerwings? dirty wings in Polish AF colors years ago :)

RsR7TWF.jpg

the KP kits outer wing s yeas are thick, but nothing you would notice on a model imho..

ok, back to the KH kit (much more detail, better shape around the canopy, all in all much more complete!)

R959GIV.jpg

Z04Nzke.jpg

m6tvCet.jpg

and some crude painting setup ;) 

• Like 5

We likes! :worthy:

Yeh, I recall the width of the wing gloves in the KoPro 1/48 Fitter kit and there was no way to conceal them if you were to display the wings fully extended. But I would still refuse to sell the kit + Cutting Edge bits until I learnt the Kitty Hawk kit was coming out.

I knew this new kit would be better shapewise after I took a good look at the forward fuselage/windshield and the width of the wings. I was so happy about this kit that little did I care about the nose cone, the six-part fuselage assembly and the banana after reviews started popping up on the Intertubes.

Now I'm trying to figure out a way for "they're" landing gear, especially, the main parts. Still have to procure the different Master Models pitot parts for mine.

But the Kitty Hawk kit has indeed caught the look of the Fitter spot on. 

Yeh, it has...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 2

Hola, Werner

Nothing to do with the thread, but I was wondering; which one of the Wingman Models 1/48 Mirage 5 kits you've got?

Any issues with the resin bits in it, like warped, undershot, broken, missing or incorrect parts, etc, etc?

I had 'em all of "they're" issues described above... :weep: Six Mirage 5 kits from Wingman me's got.

Yeh, I do...

Cheers,

Unc2

PS: I'm trying to contact Mr Andreas Klein from my pool. Terribly hot down here!

12 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Hola, Werner

Nothing to do with the thread, but I was wondering; which one of the Wingman Models 1/48 Mirage 5 kits you've got?

Any issues with the resin bits in it, like warped, undershot, broken, missing or incorrect parts, etc, etc?

I had 'em all of "they're" issues described above... :weep: Six Mirage 5 kits from Wingman me's got.

Yeh, I do...

Cheers,

Unc2

PS: I'm trying to contact Mr Andreas Klein from my pool. Terribly hot down here!

:(

sorry to hear that....

yeah, very off-topic.. ;) but important non the less!

I have several (Kfir, Alfajet, Magister)  but only one Belgian Mirage 5 kit. I did not notice anything strange as of yet.

neither on the many resin sets I have (used).

regarding the Fitter, worjing a bit on the wings. Fences look good an THIN!!!

next wil be the not so nice pylons....

Still not sure how to tackle the big, (fatter, higher, longer) upgraded chaff/flare dispensers....

Edited by exdraken

15 hours ago, exdraken said:

Still not sure how to tackle the big, (fatter, higher, longer) upgraded chaff/flare dispensers....

Yeh, mate; yeh...!

I was trying to look into yer issue with the big (fatter, taller, longer) upgraded chaff/flare dispensers - though I've read this same noun written as "dispensors" many times before.

Off the top of my skull; what about those in the GWH 1/48 MiG-29C 9-13 kit? Or those in the Trumpy 1/48 Su-24M kit? Does the Trumpy 1/48 MiG-23ML kit bring any?

What other Ruskie kits that I've got have those devices, methinks? :hmmm:

Well, I'm planning to start mastering the art of resin copying this year, so if any of those will be of use, perhaps I could cast you some.

Short of that, isn't there any aftermarket ones we could rely on?

How far off are the dispensers on the Kitty Hawk Fitter kit anyway?

Can't they be butchered/scratchbuilt/or/whatever? Just darn rectangular boxes full of holes.

Yeh, can't "they're"...?  

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Yeh, mate; yeh...!

I was trying to look into yer issue with the big (fatter, taller, longer) upgraded chaff/flare dispensers - though I've read this same noun written as "dispensors" many times before.

Off the top of my skull; what about those in the GWH 1/48 MiG-29C 9-13 kit? Or those in the Trumpy 1/48 Su-24M kit? Does the Trumpy 1/48 MiG-23ML kit bring any?

What other Ruskie kits that I've got have those devices, methinks? :hmmm:

Well, I'm planning to start mastering the art of resin copying this year, so if any of those will be of use, perhaps I could cast you some.

Short of that, isn't there any aftermarket ones we could rely on?

How far off are the dispensers on the Kitty Hawk Fitter kit anyway?

Can't they be butchered/scratchbuilt/or/whatever? Just darn rectangular boxes full of holes.

Yeh, can't "they're"...?  

Cheers,

Unc2

maybe that  E/ O is the problem ;)

as @0viking0 already posted:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235066109-syrian-air-force-su-22m4-fitter-kittyhawk-148/&do=findComment&comment=3557529

SyrianSu+22M3+January20174.jpg

those are the respective dispensors/ buckets 

1066681101.jpg

they are fatter, longer and wider....

as far as I know, not included anywhere....., but wait a minute before digging again in the stash:

on the right sidehere , this could be it, at least at one end ;) 

BTG_8166_fs.jpg

source: http://www.hyperscale.com/2010/reviews/kits/p7hg_img_92/fullsize/BTG_8166_fs.jpg

the problem with doing them onesself, is the regular pattern of holes... at least I am very bad at this :D 

and maybe those are the same ones... although the pattern looks mighty different... Su-24 of course...

https://the48ers.com/su-34-fullback-chaff-flare-dispensers.html

48838.jpg

better than nothing I guess!

some progress:

MmiILGW.jpg

landing gear looks very detailed, but as Unc already pointed out, flimsy flimsy flimsy!

KRf6Q2r.jpg

wings with fences, etc

CuX2ksR.jpg

moving on.. :) 

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, exdraken said:

as far as I know, not included anywhere....., but wait a minute before digging again in the stash:

on the right sidehere , this could be it, at least at one end ;) 

BTG_8166_fs.jpg

source: http://www.hyperscale.com/2010/reviews/kits/p7hg_img_92/fullsize/BTG_8166_fs.jpg

the problem with doing them onesself, is the regular pattern of holes... at least I am very bad at this :D 

and maybe those are the same ones... although the pattern looks mighty different... Su-24 of course...

:hmmm:Will dig out my Trumpy 1/48 Su-24M kit from the stash tonight, after that bloody spider turns in. (Or does she go active at night? She's of the idea that the stash belongs to her). :lol:

I'm quite certain that I've seen those buckets somewhere on a 1/48 Ruskie fighter that I've purchased in the last years. 

Yeh, me is...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Thanks 1

- Hi Werner,

- Very nice and inspiring building my friend,

- I've began the building of mine a few days ago,  but it is turning bad. I made an incredible beginner mistake. I v'e chosen to install CSW  belly and I removed the upper part of the left fuselage  instead of the lower one.......!!!! After some chat  with  friends modellers and my own experience, I didn't follow the notice and glued the three half fuselage together, a current practise with troncated fuselage on such kits, but it proved to be another mistake.....Now.I have to repair all this mess with cyano, resin powder and putty to get something  closest as possible of a correct looking Su 22 after an extensive boring re scribing session .....  It ill not be a competition winner for sure.........

- About the flare launchers, I've bought the Aires ones, they looks far to thin compared what can be seen on the photos unless those on Russian machine should be different , I will look available photos wjth more care...., and I'm still waiting for  CWS wing pylons to replace those of the kit which show plastic recesses on my exemplary. They are still "in progress" should  be released very soon for 3 year for the less ......

- I've never experienced such difficulties with such a good kit, all of this,, only by my fault.....I will see how this grows but I' m very about to buy a new one........ 

• Sad 2

Hi,

that sounds like lots of trouble.... all the best with your repairs! 👍

Yeah, I will not wait for the CWS pylons for this kit, mine also have some defects.... :(   maybe on the next one, that I will do for sure!

those flare launchers are simply of a different, more modern? design.... not the ones to be seen usually on Fitters....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IPMS19 said:

- Looking at photos of Russian or Polish machines , the flares dispenser were much thinner than the Syrian ones, I think I will use the Aires I have.

yeah, of course, what I am writing or inquiring is only true fro Syrian Fitters! you can use Kitty Hawk ones for everything else!

some more info from 2 years ago here:

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the-su-22-is-syrias-war-weary-warhorse-e8f0f681bfe8

• Like 1

trying to improve the pylons myself, as CWS is still not delivering :devil: 

bgIlXoE.jpg

grey plastic - kit

dark resin: Eduard Brassin fpr the B-8M1 rocket pods (pylon adapters are for the MiG-29 and Su-27 respectively, I use the later ones here)

QHvoRzq.jpg

the kit pylons is way too thick anyways, not only compared to the resin adapter, also compared to the outer ones... so the enormous sink marks are unnecessary in two ways :(

• Like 3

more pylons here:

for whatever reason KittyHawk included 3 pairs of wing pylons and 2 under fuselage pylons but only 4 pylon adapters...  actually 4 underfuselage pylons would be needed, and adapters at least for six pylons in total...

weapons they provide to arm a complete squadron! - but hardly any adequate pylons....

ok, here we go:

l3TQxso.jpg

pfLmwkV.jpg

lBDDyL8.jpg

kAdV8Gh.jpg

and that is how it looks like in real life,here on a Polish AF Su-22M4 in Zeltweg several years ago:

DsdPc4H.jpg

TxfSir5.jpg

same silver pylon adaptor an all 6 relevant stations in this case, the mid wing pylons of course have a R-60 launcher installed

vOZwqYX.jpg

the KH offering....

not bad in detail, the lower ones even comes with PE clamps :) 

bur should be the same one, no??????

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 5