A BIG Rolls-Royce Version II 1-7-2020

• 1 month later...

As Chas requested shortly before his sad passing...I am honouring his wish for me to complete the 540 build.

Having conversed with Dave Cox...and assured him of the forum's wish for pictures of the completed build...he kindly sent me pictures of the completed car.

I have to say that, from a personal stand point...it really is a superb result...much better in it's livery than I was expecting...and a tribute to Dave and our friend 'Mr C'.......

thumbnail-IMG-1579.jpgthumbnail-IMG-1596.jpgthumbnail-IMG-1592.jpgthumbnail-IMG-1613.jpgthumbnail-IMG-1603.jpgthumbnail-IMG-1607.jpgthumbnail-IMG-1617.jpg

If you would like more info or pics...let me know...and I will request them from Dave.

I like to think Mr C will have a big smile on his face :)

Enjoy

Ron

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ron, thanks for showing these pics. I think Chas will be most happy with them. 

Now, what a fantastic model this has become. 

The attention to detail is enormous. It simply works and one might think that these are pictures of a multi-million car that you show us here. 

Do thank David for sharing them with us. 

31 minutes ago, Pouln said:

Hi Ron, thanks for showing these pics. I think Chas will be most happy with them. 

Now, what a fantastic model this has become. 

The attention to detail is enormous. It simply works and one might think that these are pictures of a multi-million car that you show us here. 

Do thank David for sharing them with us. 

Hi Poul,

it's easy to see why Mr C was so enamoured with David's work...as you rightly say...it truly does look like a real classic car.

Rest assured that I will be sure to pass on your thanks for the pictures :)

Yet more excellent work from Mr Cox... a very talented bloke indeed. Both cars are superb in every way. I'm sure Chas would be over-the-moon with these pics. Please thank David for sharing them with us.

My personal favourite is the Rat Rod....  that's right up my street.:thumbsup:

Cheers, H

• Like 2

1 hour ago, harveyb258 said:

Yet more excellent work from Mr Cox... a very talented bloke indeed. Both cars are superb in every way. I'm sure Chas would be over-the-moon with these pics. Please thank David for sharing them with us.

My personal favourite is the Rat Rod....  that's right up my street.:thumbsup:

Cheers, H

According to Dave...it was sacriledge to do that to a Pocher in the eyes of our friend Chas 😱

None the less...I am sure he is enjoying it from on high now :)

Will pass all comments on to Dave.

• Like 1

I asked Dave for some more pics of the 'Rat Rod'...and he sent me these with a short notation.....

Charlie (Mr C to us) would be deeply annoyed that my steam punk rat rod was not universally condemned..  I may be repeating myself, but the Mercedes has a scratch-built cross-flow cylinder head. ( I couldn’t find the sides of the cylinder head so I built new ones from styrene).  The silencer is removable.  The half-circle luggage saved me the trouble of building a fifth wire wheel.  I hope the model does not offend anyone, but it is among my personal favorites.

thumbnail-IMG-1826.jpgthumbnail-IMG-1828.jpgthumbnail-IMG-1835.jpgthumbnail-IMG-1837.jpgthumbnail-IMG-1838.jpgthumbnail-IMG-1839.jpg

Hope you enjoy them as much as I did :)

Ron

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, s.e.charles said:

completely missed this thread from its onset; i've got some weekend catch-up reading to do!

A treasure trove of information from a master builder and genuine all round nice guy...enjoy :)

Ron

• Like 1

Offended? Of course  not. Wonderful work and glad that he shared some more pictures.
But, what is that thing that is sitting in the front, between the 2 head lights?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pouln said:

Offended? Of course  not. Wonderful work and glad that he shared some more pictures.
But, what is that thing that is sitting in the front, between the 2 head lights?

In answer to your question Poul I contacted David...and this is his reply.....

"It is a projector beam light, made from a Pocher headlight reflector installed backwards in a MML headlight housing.  It has a Maglite ( the flashlight manufacturer) bulb so it really is quite bright.  It steers with the front wheels. I am delighted to hear that there is room for humor among model builders.   Did I mention that while the projector light steers with the front wheels, in order to avoid blinding on-coming drivers, the light turns in the opposite direction as the steering…"

Ron

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• 5 weeks later...

Lovely to see the finished Mercedes. A nice tribute model to Codger.

As for the Steam Punk Rat Rod.........It may not be to every one's taste.

But there is no harm in letting one's imagination run wild every now and again, and a good opportunity to try out new techniques.

Personally I quite like it and it must have been a good fun project to do. Dave Cox I think has built and converted quite a number of Pochers in his time, and I guess that the Rat Rod was a 'bitsa' model made from surplus bits from around his workshop.

• Like 3

On 11/28/2021 at 9:17 AM, Noel Smith said:

Lovely to see the finished Mercedes. A nice tribute model to Codger.

As for the Steam Punk Rat Rod.........It may not be to every one's taste.

But there is no harm in letting one's imagination run wild every now and again, and a good opportunity to try out new techniques.

Personally I quite like it and it must have been a good fun project to do. Dave Cox I think has built and converted quite a number of Pochers in his time, and I guess that the Rat Rod was a 'bitsa' model made from surplus bits from around his workshop.

Totally agree Noel...and thanks for comments :)

Ron

More fun and mayhem from Mr Cox...I will let his words do the talking.....

The point here is that my straight-twelve engine has two ignitions, well, three really.
The distributors on top of the engine are conventional battery powered , one for the front six cylinders, one for the rear six.  The magneto (black wires to the same spark plugs) is for high speed road work and operates without a battery.  Use the battery ignition to start the car, the mag to go fast, and both if the plugs are fouling up.  I have no idea if this would work, but I don’t know why it wouldn’t!

The idea comes from the RR that had dual ignitions, but used two plugs per cylinder.  Royce liked redundancy which is a good thing in aeroplanes.  My Maserati had twin spark plugs run on one 12-lead distributor just to get a hotter spark.  Electronic ignitions made all these shenanigans unnecessary.

Also note left-hand steering conversion.

Clearly, I do this stuff for my own entertainment.

thumbnail-IMG-0032.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-0033.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-0035.jpg 

thumbnail-IMG-0022.jpg

Daves words again.....

Had some wheels done locally.  Spent two days getting them installed.  To be fair, they are meant for the RR spindles but can be converted to use on the Alfa.

wheels.png

Let me know if you want me to continue this thread?

Ron

• Like 5

On 11/28/2021 at 4:17 AM, Noel Smith said:

...  the Steam Punk Rat Rod... no harm in letting one's imagination run .... and a good opportunity to try out new techniques. ...... 

for consideration:

everyone may not understand the workings of an automobile from a certain era. a thoroughbred of the genre make appease the knowledgeable aficionado, but to some, the details can be strange in location or configuration.

by seeing less pure version, the bridge can be formed so that in time the original version, in its true context, more readily appreciated.

• Like 1

What do you think, Ron? Of course do continue, please. 

Nice to see how David “dreams up” another motor. 

I see he also converted the Alfa to a LHD version. 

• Like 1

As you wish...another set of pics of this beast...along with Davids words.....

"Note Mercedes three-piston fuel pump at front of engine.  The Junker Jumo pump had three precision fitted pistons and cost a fortune to rebuild.  Nothing too good for one of my monsters."...

thumbnail-IMG-0026.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-0024.jpg

"The aluminum wheels mount Pocher RR tires which give the lengthened Alfa frame a some drama.  The wheels were done by a local shop.  They were done for a RR project, but were  easily drilled to fit the Alfa hubs."

thumbnail-IMG-0028.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-0029.jpg

"The body will be a spider; the fenders from the Sedanca RR.  These wheels are resin and done years ago in Texas by Brian Yingling for one of his models."

thumbnail-IMG-1682.jpg

More as I get them............

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

From Dave...

"Too complicated to explain quickly, but the pedals control the brake light switch, and have to carry the throttle motion to the other side of the car.   Big crazy fun."

thumbnail-IMG-0061.jpgthumbnail-IMG-0063.jpgthumbnail-IMG-0066.jpgthumbnail-IMG-0067.jpg

And a few more.....

thumbnail-IMG-0077.jpgthumbnail-IMG-0078.jpgthumbnail-IMG-0079.jpgthumbnail-IMG-0080.jpgthumbnail-IMG-0082.jpgthumbnail-IMG-0085.jpg

My personal thoughts.....wow! :)

Ron

more when I get them............

• Like 4