A BIG Rolls-Royce Version II 1-7-2020

• 2 weeks later...

Moving right along...

More metal work continues. Not the proper time for upholstery or paint work . Here a new front apron is fashioned from copper to close the gap in the front fender join. Copper is chosen for its malleability for this difficult shape.

27.jpg

As the shape is finalized, 00-90 screws are used to hold in place. Then brass is again used to make what will be the chromed trim strips MB festooned the car with. When all is ready, the heads will be snipped off and the shafts soldered in place making them invisible on the top and a retaining nut used underneath.

28.jpg

David then recreated the MB grille guard used on Spezials. I'm not fan of this addition but he says his client demands authenticity. And this is the third Cox Benz model the client has ordered. That tells you something about the work I think. Again, everything will be chromed.

29.jpg

The overall effect. Still to come up front here is the wider headlight bar, most likely with functioning lights.

30.jpg

More metal tedium; flanges for the exhaust pipes in the fender tops. These are made from thin aluminum sheet.

31.jpg

There is much major work still to be done but David likes to get the metal details worked out before the different finish details come about.

More as progress continues.

• Like 5

That radiator guard makes it look like a Citroen. Ah, if it is what the client asks for, what can you do?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Pouln said:

That radiator guard makes it look like a Citroen. Ah, if it is what the client asks for, what can you do?

LOL- worse yet, it's what Benz put on the car !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A nice milestone...

I see today we have reached 14,000 views here and I'm most appreciative of the attention. :phew:

My hope was to raise awareness of what can be done with Pocher classics. And encourage owners/collectors/builders to post here and share. Or just plain interested parties.

I know this is a very limited-appeal segment of modeling but it can yield very rewarding results.

So thanks to all who come to visit but I gladly welcome comment, questions and an occasional brick or two. Support is greatly appreciated.

Now I will try to pry an update from Mr Cox's dusty workbench....:whip:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, silver911 said:

A deserved 14k of views...a totally inspirational thread...not just for 'Pocherholics'...but for all builders of 4 wheeled boxes...great ideas on so many things :)

Looking forward to next chapter.

Ron

Well thanks for your comment my friend. I would hope the next chapter will be YOU building your first Pocher classic...the Ducati was a good Pocher start...........:devil:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy............

I do not wish to over-promise and under-deliver. And to that end, I have been rattling the Cox in-box, beseeching for progress updates. All I can say is WOW. He has not gone on Spring Break with the college kids (he doesn't own a speedo) but rather working continuously on this Benz.

I have no more photos beyond what's here which means he has not taken time to shoot them. But yesterday I was informed that he just shipped to the chrome plating house 44 (FORTY FOUR) bits of  brass trim with possibly two more and some aluminum to go. Yes, those impossibly narrow and curvy bits snaking all over the fenders and flanks. And grille bars and handles and latches.

This means that every bit of the lavish trim the originals had, this one will have. No wonder many builders (the few that try) either paint the trim or sand off most of it. Not for the squeamish.

Further he states that the customer requested silver paint and red leather. David is now turning his attention to body prep. Remember this kit has already had the Frankenstein alterations  to make it a Spezial. A time consuming process but we will see a good bit of that. As well as the treat of another fabulous Cox leather presentation.

Progress soon as I get it - check in for more.....:devil:

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Catching up...

Because this model has so much advanced work, none of what I present is in the order an instruction sheet would provide. David tackles things as he chooses and plans. So that's why these are in no particular order but all of it has been 'heavy work' with finer details or appearance items coming later.

This particular version requires the Pocher stock doors to be shortened and here's how he does it. A slight bias cut due to curvature and you will note the splice removed from the door sill on the body above it.

32.jpg

The back side of door showing reinforcing splice as a butt join is not acceptable. The Cox trademark partially opened window is shown in raw brass form for fit:

33.jpg

Here they are after polishing with plastic template for their glass shape:

34.jpg

35.jpg

An example of where the time goes; the seat bottom and backrest brackets in polished brass. Note the stiffener soldered to each. That's a Model Motorcars resin seat awaiting shaping and leather:

36.jpg

More difficult work. Fine mesh is cut and fit to the hood vent openings. Remember these panels are nothing like the kit parts due to engine set back. That changes the locations for the exhaust exits and proportions of the vents. Seen here the side panels are being fitted to the top brass hood panels, which are lying flat on edge on the bench. The central hinge is at top. A LOT of bits to get aligned correctly :

37.jpg

Now another tricky bit; the side flex exhaust pipes. I questioned David and learned that he scratch built these because of issues with the kit stock parts and the MMC items. The first is that the engine set back required longer pipes than either of the two. He rejected the Pochers as being less attractive than alternatives. He found the MMC pipes attractive but the last set he used were very stiff to shape. He concluded it was due to the chrome plating. So he searched his parts inventory and found these stainless steel wiring covers from a long-forgotten lamp. I'll let David's own words describe these for you:

1.  No stock components were used except for the modified Pocher exhaust pipe that connects the flex pipe to the front silencer.

2.  The flex pipe looks terrific, but was chosen for its flexibility.  Was salvaged off a light fixture with a mini bulb at the end of this flex tube.  Source:  long forgotten.

3. Besides flexibility, these conduits had dandy black plastic tubes on their ends which perfectly fitted over the exhaust ports.

3. The Pocher exhaust pipe was shortened, re-shaped and the angles at both ends were changed to fit.

4. The bracket that supports the exhaust pipe is an exhaust hanger from the scrap box re-shaped to fit the exhaust pipe.

5.  The holes in the fender (wing) were done before making these pipes.

38.jpg

A trial fit shows what's in store:

39.jpg

A more complete trail fit shows all the measuring and hacking paid big dividends. This will be even more dazzling with all the reflections of glossy paint to come. Very hard to see in this photo are the tiny holes around each rectangular vent into which the chromed brass (very thin) trim strips will be pinned. Cox never uses glue when mechanical fastenings like pins  or bolts can be used.

40.jpg

Some of you may cry 'FOUL' when a rare find like the stainless flex tube is not a common kit or aftermarket part. But motivated extreme builders will search for or make what they need to get to higher levels of accuracy. I am told that this customer has two other Cox-built Benz replicas and is very demanding in his appreciation of the marque.

I'm informed that the chrome bits promised 3 weeks ago are in transit to David now and I will show those as soon as he lets me...:penguin:

• Like 7

A 'What the heck??' update...

As you have learned here, to build an advanced Pocher Classic, one must be part engineer, part Swami and part - blacksmith. Cox is certainly all of these.

I received these cryptic images and only after hounding the absent-minded professor (he really was one) I solved the riddle.

It started here:

IMG-1350.jpg

See? Blacksmith stuff.

The clues begin:

IMG-1351.jpg

Test fitting:

IMG-1352.jpg

Some crimping and fiddling:

IMG-1353.jpg

And finally a dressing of the surface with files, and hangar brackets installed. Will it be polished?:

IMG-1355.jpg

But 'hold on' I cried;' why would MB put an exhaust (heat?) shield on a full-fendered, top line sports car??'

And I actually got a detailed answer. And this is where Cox shows he is not just an expert modeler but also a student of the classics he reproduces. He has encyclopedic knowledge of them (I learned) by years of studying the most expensive and prestigious books about each subject.

It seems the shield was hidden on most of the 500/540’s by deeply skirted fenders.  The cut-away fenders of the Spezial roadsters showed it off.

To quote David; 'Lots of period photos show exposed pipes, but it was probably like the ignition shields on old Corvettes which tend to go missing.  I am not sure if it was a heat shield to protect the fender, a vanity shield to hide the rusty down pipe, or a shield to keep water and snow off the hot exhaust pipe.

Maybe all three.  Never seen a show car without it.'

Also part of his understanding comes from attending in person many concours and prestigious auctions over the decades. Indeed, the Amelia Island auction in Florida USA is in his backyard.

All this may be a reason David's work comes from repeat customers or word-of-mouth from one to other.

You get a lot when you ask for a Cox model it seems...  :phew:

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I have learned that Mr Cox has received his leather order and that process will begin soon.

Possibly because my whining has become unbearable. :whip:

More soon as I get it...:wall:

• Like 1

Codger,

Hello; I am new to the forum, though I have been reading over various WIPs (both ongoing and past) for the past several months as I have been getting back into scale modelling; your unbelievable work, and that of so many of the other skilled artists on this site, was a large part of the impetus for me to create a profile and officially join up. I realize I'm coming in to a very specific point in an ongoing conversation about your Rolls here, but I just wanted to express my admiration for your work and insight (both in this WIP and elsewhere on the forum), and my thanks for many valuable lessons learned. The work you are doing is simply exceptional.

Respectfully,

Andrew

3 hours ago, Octavian said:

Codger,

Hello; I am new to the forum, though I have been reading over various WIPs (both ongoing and past) for the past several months as I have been getting back into scale modelling; your unbelievable work, and that of so many of the other skilled artists on this site, was a large part of the impetus for me to create a profile and officially join up. I realize I'm coming in to a very specific point in an ongoing conversation about your Rolls here, but I just wanted to express my admiration for your work and insight (both in this WIP and elsewhere on the forum), and my thanks for many valuable lessons learned. The work you are doing is simply exceptional.

Respectfully,

Andrew

Andrew, I am quite flattered by your kind comments. But especially glad you signed-up and joined us. I see you have started a thread on a MFH no less, quite the deep end of the pool. I will soon stick my nose in there to be delighted by your work.

Further, I am glad my Rolls and the cars of Dave Cox can inspire and spread knowledge to be of use. Entertainment is a good 'lubricant' for exchange of ideas. I welcome yours as well as your questions  and criticisms.

Thanks and don't be a stranger; we can use a philosopher on here.....:smartass::book:

C

• Like 1

On 15/05/2021 at 12:23, Codger said:

There is NO leather upholstery in F-1 racecars...:nono:

(Cough) Ferrari used suede on their seats as late as the 80s....

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Jo NZ said:

(Cough) Ferrari used suede on their seats as late as the 80s....

:mental: Jeeze Jo - that's FERRARI ! No sensible builders would do that !

I oughta know - I'm from Sicily!!!

I'm sure Nikki didn't approve of that........:nono:

• Haha 1

Gulp...

I know I'm making some of you cranky (:wall: I'm looking at you Mr Clark...), by posting scraps and hints of things to come.

But I just got word that Cox has overjoyed himself by putting a map pocket DOOR into the outer door of this Benz. A functioning door, with a hinge, not just a flap of upholstery. I have a few of his customary cryptic bench pix of this accomplishment but am petitioning for explanation of what the @!%! I am looking at. And you wonder why it takes so long for him to produce results.

More when the connection to outer space resumes..................:mental:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Codger said:

Gulp...

I know I'm making some of you cranky (:wall: I'm looking at you Mr Clark...), by posting scraps and hints of things to come.

But I just got word that Cox has overjoyed himself by putting a map pocket DOOR into the outer door of this Benz. A functioning door, with a hinge, not just a flap of upholstery. I have a few of his customary cryptic bench pix of this accomplishment but am petitioning for explanation of what the @!%! I am looking at. And you wonder why it takes so long for him to produce results.

More when the connection to outer space resumes..................:mental:

So...you know your making people 'cranky'...but still you continue to do so 🤬

Mysteries revealed...

First a reminder of where we are in this project. Here is an easy look at the major modifications done to turn a Pocher into a 540 Spezial Roadster. Large engine set-back and very shortened body:

46.jpg

Wishing at this point to create the cockpit because the leather arrived, a necessary first step was to add what Cox tells me was a very significant feature of these cars; a map/glove holder incorporated into the doors. No Pocher iteration comes with this. This is the first cryptic photo I got which caused me to write back 'what the heck is this??'

47.jpg

The answer was more cryptic photos with no description. However I realized this was an interior door panel which was drilled through for a hinge pin, not a piano or Pocher door-type hinge. This is more 'Cox gineering' for a drop-down map door. See pin extending right to left below. Still don't know what curved shape at top is....:wall:

48.jpg

The fog begins to lift with this shot. An inner door panel, trim shape with base of shaped arm rest on top and small door pinned in place. This actual pin eliminates the need for a folding fabric hinge which would be very low-rent on a build of this quality. I asked but still don't know what the two carefully drilled holes are for.

49.jpg

The deep red kidskin makes an appearance:

50.jpg

The butterfly is emerging:

51.jpg

Now we see the arm rest:

52.jpg

Two completed panels. Somehow, I can't call them 'door cards':

53.jpg

Let this soak in. A hallmark of Cox work is his impeccable way with upholstery. I always envy this and it is a major contributor to the brilliance of his engineering, mechanical work and modification. I turned out an 'OK' first-timer Rolls cabin but only after deep study of the methods he shared with me.

Another brilliance of his, is using ModelMotorcars accessories (many of which he designed  as a partner there) in unexpected ways. Like the Benz rumble seat handle for an upper door pull. The window winder and latch handle - superb realism. The stock Pocher bits are nowhere near this sophistication and really cause an otherwise nice build suffer..

54.jpg

So I hope you sense why this is taking so long. In my view results like this warrant all the patience in the world. My own journey took 40 months but Cox will surely beat that handily. That's why he does it professionally. I expect continuation of the cockpit work while selection and trial of the body finish is what we'll see next. Pocher lovers, there's plenty more to learn.

• Like 3

Amazing stuff. I apprenticed to a master upholsterer for a year and a half or so when I was 18; it was a very enjoyable job, though I was doing fairly basic stuff most of the time. He was kind enough to help me upholster my car in leather as a parting gift when I left the job; it was inordinately tough to do (he was well-established enough at that point in his career that he refused to do cars because they were so much more work than furniture). All this to say that doing leather upholstery on such a small scale, where the slightest error would spoil the appearance must be very delicate and at times frustrating work. But the results will clearly be worth the effort.

• Like 1