A BIG Rolls-Royce Version II 1-7-2020

Fleshing things out...

Please understand that I don't have ALL the construction pix and I'm trying to make a coherent progression of the work shots I was given. But you'll see plenty to help.

Now here is a possibility for that switch seen just above; either dashboard lighting or the start of an ejection seat !

AA-IMG-0690.jpg

Well the dashboard has lighting so that's probably it. Note veneer dash and veneer will soon pop up around the cabin.

BB-IMG-0697.jpg

I keep referring to Cox trademarks and one is always impeccable upholstery. Here is kid leather and more about those chrome domes later – they are special of course.

CC-IMG-0761.jpg

For expediency, David generally uses MMC resin seats, in this case unaltered. They are beautiful resin and I used them on my Sedanca's fronts but heavily altered and narrowed.

DD-IMG-0766.jpg

EE-IMG-0771.jpg

Door panels and more veneer appears – and of course sawdust...

FF-IMG-0787.jpg

GG-IMG-0790.jpg

Here comes the carpeting. In this case it the seat leather's back side up, a perfect way to get a matching carpet – and easy. More wood work in the form of fine cabinetry. And wait – 'Q' must have had a hand in this – weapons! A shotgun and two target rifles, possibly for sporting purposes - but knowing Bond....

HH-IMG-0836.jpg

II-IMG-0838.jpg

Looking back at coachwork, the custom, lengthened hood was fashioned from .015” brass sheet that David uses a bending brake on to get crisp edges.

JJ-IMG-0700.jpg

Since the side panels are .060” thick plastic, custom hinges made from brass tubing and piano wire allow the mismatched dimensions to close easily, lie flat on each other and be completely removable for painting.

A solution I was not smart enough to figure 4 years ago. Although mine are removable also.

KK-IMG-0704.jpg

LL-IMG-0824.jpg

942-pasted-Graphic.png

A mock -up of the Rollston-style fenders shows that the running boards need a 3/4” splice added to reach the new frame length.

MM-IMG-0814.jpg

An overall look shows that the hood side has been extended to the grille shell by the addition of 6 more louvers – making 41 (!) compared to a Pocher-stock 35. And they are in perfect alignment. The hood top is just placed, not fastened.

NN-IMG-0840.jpg

Out back, the trunk is being fashioned to have two compartments and a spare tire carrier from brass rod and tube – all will be chromed. This because there are no side-mount spare tires on these fenders so David makes a drop-down functional spare with latch.

OO-IMG-0717-1.jpg

PP-IMG-0717-2.jpg

QQ-IMG-0849.jpg

RR-IMG-0855.jpg

Back inside, the Devil's own laboratory has wires strewn everywhere.

SS-IMG-0900.jpg

Now here is a Cox black-art secret worth waiting for – for the brave that is. :devil:

These are MMC outer door handles. They are cast bronze and have a 00-90 thread cut into their extended shaft. But David uses a cut length of the engine camshaft with one cam attached to operate his own (no Pocher parts) door latch. This he taps, threads onto  the 00-90 end of the handle and touches with the iron with door between. Although he taught me to solder a cam to the MMC handle, mine wasn't threaded and easy to adjust: it had to be done with the finished, painted door between the inner and outer with a sizzling iron millimeters from the door. A task which caused me to hyperventilate for hours...

TT-IMG-0925.jpg

After a suitable tranquilizer I'll be back with more chills and spills............:phew:

• Like 6

One thing that always confuses me...there is a serious amount of body etc. to finish and paint...then assemble...with the paintwork altering a lot of the fit...so many chances of ruining previous work...a brave man indeed.

Glorious attention to every aspect of the finished article.

Ron

26 minutes ago, silver911 said:

One thing that always confuses me...there is a serious amount of body etc. to finish and paint...then assemble...with the paintwork altering a lot of the fit...so many chances of ruining previous work...a brave man indeed.

Glorious attention to every aspect of the finished article.

Ron

True mate but the lesson with Pocher classics is to make all your panel gaps .015 to .018" to allow for the inevitable paint build. Cox especially because he uses acrylic enamel - a thicker material (even using less coats) than lacquers.

And thanks for your support Ron - I know you're not a Pocher classic enthusiast...but the principles apply to anything.:worthy:

• Like 1

Whilst not a 'Classic' enthusiast as such...cost aside...his techniques...and indeed your own work...should truly appeal to the minds of all builders...in as much as...it takes dedication and effort to complete any build...however...a build of this nature requires more...'artistry'...and an affinity with the subject and materials in front of you...something I would like to improve in my own work.

Ron

28 minutes ago, Jo NZ said:

I think that I would Loctite the door handles (Studlock will never break) rather than solder them....

Good point Jo. But mine have been good for three years now with silver solder. Of course no kids play at these doors.

Our Little Angel appreciates Grandpa's work from afar.    :nono::

IMG-8151.jpg

• Like 4

The heart of the matter...

But first a look at the Cox shelf of models built just for himself. Several are decades old. Four Rolls chassis; the Double Six, Straight 12 and two Allison powered – all monsters. Finally a Bugatti Suprofile. Not seen on the other side of the shelf are a gaggle of Alfas, FIATs and Bugattis – maybe a Benz 540 if I remember correctly. If he ever moves out, I'd like to buy his house – furnished of course.

AAA-IMG-0582.jpg

OK, some last bits of assembly stuff. The hood sides have their 6 additional louver sections added to achieve the complete length.

BBB-IMG-0704.jpg

Rear and front suspensions assembled in the more or less convention Pocher method. But note bronze front axle, wise for strength, from MMC.

CCC-IMG-0584.jpg

Always one for doo-dads, Cox fashions trim plates for the inside of the wings and they're aluminum plate with a knurled-type pattern – done by hand.

DDD-IMG-0868.jpg

Something special; being a 'lighting maniac' these are currently-rare Duesenberg headlight shells – not the standard Pocher P-100 Lucas or MMC improvements. These were prototypes developed with Marvin of MMC when Dave was his partner. But they were never produced. Dave hints that Marvin may now produce them.

EEE-IMG-0915.jpg

Cat-out-of-bag; The black over red color scheme was chosen and is seen here on a completed hood side. 41 Louvers !

FFF-IMG-0933.jpg

The preferred wheel covers are used as many originals were ordered with them. Here, Bare Metal Foil is applied as trim and carefully cut – for four wheels.

GGG-IMG-0973.jpg

Now you will learn why the analogy between Cox and 'Q' fashioning a Bond car is fitting. Guns – and rifles – and shot guns - lot's of them – replete with ammo. Dave is quite knowledgeable on the subject and loves fine equipment. They are all fabricated by him after much research, not bought from dollhouse or any other supply. This explains the fine cabinets built into the cabin and the artillery hung on the bulkhead.

HHH-IMG-0746.jpg

III-IMG-0783.jpg

But now ask yourself; 'why would the stately Rolls radiator have a hole and tube in its core'?

JJJ-IMG-0967.jpg

Well to accommodate 30-06 rounds leaving a Lewis machine gun of course! What better way in 1932 to clear the traffic lanes ahead or finish off enemy agents? Produced from 1913 to 1953, it fought effectively in several wars including both World Wars and Korean War. David's version uses the 97 round circular magazine and is a shrewd choice for automotive use. OK, spy's automotive use, not soccer moms ! It featured an air-cooled barrel design which did not require water cooling. Cox fabricated every bit of this accurately including the control rods (and the dash switch and lever you saw earlier) and it almost looks like part of the engine design. Sort of like a special air cleaner.

KKK-IMG-0800.jpg

LLL-IMG-0802.jpg

MMM-IMG-0812.jpg

NNN-IMG-0907.jpg

If this is too outrageous for any of you Pocher or Rolls enthusiasts, please don't shoot this humble messenger.

You know of the Duesenberg lights but of course, Bond would require three of them. You'll see them in action later.

OOO-IMG-0911.jpg

Hoods being fitted and chromed belt spears drilled and attached.

PPP-IMG-0938.jpg

Now you can sense why this was one of David's lengthier (no pun intended) builds. Lots going on here not contained in a Pocher box. Soon we'll see the whole shootin' match (literally in this case!) come together and the final portraits -without sawdust no less !!

• Like 6

Ready for its mission...

And now a look at final details on the bench. Being a lover of gadgets (just like 'Q') Mr Cox always loads his RR's with them. A look in the trunk is revealing. The tool kit (not made by him) is crude by design; wealthy Rolls owners never even touch those. But David made a bespoke case for them. And just above that a mystery black box – which now contains batteries for the electrics. Note the simple but wonderfully effective hinges – Cox-made.

AAAAIMG-0898.jpg

Note how the spare tire flips down or locks up for access.

BBBBIMG-0959.jpg

On most all his Phantom torpedos, David makes a wind-blocking rear screen for passengers. This an Auster-style screen but he has made styles which have windwings attached and fold down. All chromed brass and Lexan.

Along with that – another Cox 'trademark' is the swing-out front windscreen - fully functional. Adjustments go on continuously right to the end of a build.

CCCCIMG-0928.jpg

DDDDIMG-0929.jpg

EEEE-IMG-0953.jpg

FFFFIMG-0922.jpg

A beautiful feature is the complex hood panel fit. Note the front and rear shut lines are flush as is the top and side hinged line. The louvers could be factory coachbuilder – made they are in perfect alignment. Still adjustments to trim and cowl continue.

GGGGIMG-0950.jpg

A finished wheel cover with the foiled trim ring in place.

HHHHIMG-0974.jpg

See how the heavy model sits well with the suspension support springs.

IIIIIMG-0923.jpg

One last bit of actual construction is the cover for the folded top stack. Cox, having built many, simulates the shape accurately with balsa wood. Then covers in his chosen fabric. And - saw dust.

JJJJJIMG-0962.jpg

KKKKIMG-0964.jpg

More checking and fiddling before leaving the bench and heading for the outdoors.

LLLLIMG-0976.jpg

MMMMIMG-093.jpg

David's vision and reason for creating a straight eight engine is evident in the stately lines of the finished motorcar. Now a model of a true 150” wheelbase Phantom, it is superior to the compromises Pocher has set out.

NNNNIMG-0988.jpg

Now it all starts to make sense.

OOOOIMG-0988.jpg

Enjoy the eye-catching details in the spacious cabin.

PPPPIMG-0988.jpg

Not looking outrageous, the Lewis looks right at home. But the 8 sparkplugs and long magneto drive shaft tell the experienced eye that this is far more then a gun-prop.

QQQQIMG-0988.jpg

The intake side gives you an intake manifold as Rolls would have cast it and a distributor cap sprouting 8 more wires. But the steering shaft and box location would fool you into believing this is stock Phantom arrangement. To my great envy, note the fold-flat hood panel, just like originals.

RRRRIMG-0988.jpg

The Auster-type screen creates a cozy touring cocoon.

SSSSIMG-0988.jpg

The impressive front dress is powerful yet surgically neat.

TTTTIMG-0988.jpg

Now here's the lighting power used when this elegant brute goes on nighttime missions.

UUUUIMG-0988.jpg

But what better time to enjoy an open touring car than a lovely spring day?

VVVVIMG-0988.jpg

Well we've reached the end of this complex and ambitious build. I hope you have all found something to inspire or improve your model building.

My deep thanks to Dave Cox for a look at all his skills and secrets.

WWWWIMG-098.jpg

• Like 4

I must say...whilst the concept is not to my taste (all the weaponry)...the engineering aspect is breathtaking in it's reality of execution...although...IMHO...yours has that much more 'elegance and style/appeal'.

Personally...I hope you find the time and energy to bring more such work to our attention Mr C :)

Respect

Ron

• Like 1

Been away for some days and during that you come up with this splendid build.

I love what David has done and thank you (and him) for sharing it with us.

I agree with Ron that the arms stuff are not really my thing, but it is great to see how he manage to design and create such a beautiful model of an imaginary automobile (can’t just call it a car, can you).

Hope to see more of his work.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pouln said:

I agree with Ron that the arms stuff are not really my thing, but it is great to see how he manage to design and create such a beautiful model of an imaginary automobile (can’t just call it a car, can you).

Hope to see more of his work.

Welcome back Poul and thank you for the warm comments. I will pass on to Dave.

I agree with both you and Ron that the car (call it a 'motorcar' :)) is a fine achievement in Pocher models without David's passion for firearms. But I am only the messenger here. And he deserves to put anything he wishes in his models.

But the extended nose and accurate wheelbase give the torpedo body great elegance.

The main reason I show David's work is because it is a tour-de-force of Pocher and scratchbuilding techniques which he is completely comfortable sharing with us. He is also a Pocher 'enthusiast' and loves to see the work of others. His hope is that sharing inspires and helps others advance.

It surely has helped me. :worthy:

-Now you owe us your Elegant Coupe please.........:whip:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Codger said:

And he deserves to put anything he wishes in his models.

But of course. It his model and he should do with it as he pleases.

9 hours ago, Codger said:

Now you owe us your Elegant Coupe please.........:whip:

Ha, I like to keep the suspense building..... Honestly, nothing much has happened. Life got in the way. I will come back to it as soon as possible. 

• Haha 1

On 12/16/2020 at 11:17 PM, Codger said:

True mate but the lesson with Pocher classics is to make all your panel gaps .015 to .018" to allow for the inevitable paint build. Cox especially because he uses acrylic enamel - a thicker material (even using less coats) than lacquers.

And thanks for your support Ron - I know you're not a Pocher classic enthusiast...but the principles apply to anything.:worthy:

That’s a handt guideline also for my own 1/8 build, thanks.

• Haha 1

More information...

In the on-going effort to make this pinned thread a helpful reference on Pochers and especially Rolls-Royces, here's a small gem, again from the work of Dave Cox. I've realized the audience is minuscule for these by the muted response but I know there were some builds started here only to fade away. Either by losing interest or simply not publishing the work any further.

Having received an advance copy of the book Cox wrote on the build, I came across this improvement previously unknown to me. Having built about 3 dozen of these, he would uncover this kind of data.

I did not receive a bench photo of this for this feature or I'd have included it.

On page 18, he shows a photo of two Rolls transmissions standing upright on the bellhousing opening (engine side). David found that many of the transmissions have poor angles cast into their surfaces and edges and one is clearly shown pointing upward at an awkward angle. He shows a corrected one standing with it and the tailshaft (the part the driveshaft exits) is now 90 degrees to the engine mount surface. Correction simply involves surface-sanding parts and constantly checking progress.

Why important? Well if the driveshaft exits at a poor angle, it could effect the connection at the differential, which could effect wheelbase and ride height. That can be adjusted by the shock absorber linkage. But the key is to check first.

Now in my own build, I did not detect a transmission problem. But discoveries that  fenders are not symmetrical and the shock linkage is sensitive to the car's final posture were explored and corrected. And shown above in my build. Also the concept that the frame itself required careful setup and construction to get square and plumb was detailed. And that even MMC's bronze front axle required careful adjustment to get accurate camber and toe-in up front.

I maintain that even a box-stock build of the model can benefit visually just by checking things and building everything square and plum. Nothing makes a model more toy-like than crooked bits, ill fitting panels, or wheels that go every which way.

I haven't finished the book yet but if any more tidbits like this are revealed, I will present them here.

I know this may be just so much technical mumbo-jumbo to many, but there are a few modellers here who value and apply this kind of scrutiny to anything they build.

I'm pleased the admins have given me this platform to make this a reference-trove for Rolls and all Pocher builders. I hope to inform and entertain. The scratch builders do very well on their own and are at the top of our 'build chain' in my view. And I learn a ton from them. / C

Questions and comments encouraged to add to the data here.

1-A1600-2.jpg

• Like 6

I certainly enjoy these Pocher build threads, but tend to keep quiet because there is little to nothing constructive I can contribute to the discussion.  There isn't space in my home to display, let alone work on, one of these giant models, but maybe one day...  I'd love a Mercedes-Benz 500 or 540K.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, johnlambert said:

There isn't space in my home to display, let alone work on, one of these giant models, but maybe one day...  I'd love a Mercedes-Benz 500 or 540K.

Thank you all for the support Pocher Friends. If like John, you wish to see Benz or other Pocher classics here, please say so. I will see what I can do.

John you will find that if you throw out your television (for instance) a Pocher classic will fit quite well. And give you much more satisfaction than watching the TV. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Benz interest?

Going through my Cox archives, I found two older completed models to gauge interest here for any non-Rolls models.

The first is an early customer build, built to a 'budget' per the customer's wishes. It's a fairly straight-forward Pocher build but with Dave's incredible and lovely folding canvas top. It is the 'non-540'version. It lacks the opulent chrome side and running board trim. Those take many hours.

IMG-1350.jpg

Here is as good as it gets, a 540 with all the trimmings. Every bit of trim is chromed brass made by Cox. And it carries many MMC optional parts. This customer had no financial constraints. Note the thin and fine shapes of all the trim. Mercedes was positively opulent, bordering on gaudy, with this top-of-line offering.

98.jpg

protraits-2-036-2.jpg

David has told me in past that these Pocher kits were superior to the Rolls and Alfas, having a metal chassis and better parts fit. I think the Bugattis were equally well-thought of.

I know he's building a customer 540  now. If there's interest here I'll try to bring that to you.

• Like 6