The Ghost Tiger Typhoon a little bigger (tackling the 1/48 Revell Eurofighter Typhoon as training for 1/32) - FINISHED

WOW. :analintruder:

This thread just gets better and better. 

So much information and details. 

I think this thread should get "pinned" for futher reference to all who are interested in building a super detailed Eufi. 

/Bosse

Thank you for the praise (turning red already hihihi). I don't know if it really deserves being pinned but there sure are a lot of things one could and can do about Revell's little hidden gem and I hope this thread might serve the one or other modeller as a little assistance. Will it be a 100 percent in the end? Certainly not! But maybe there is the one or other idea that might be of interest for the inclined modeller?!

• Like 1

Well, today's post is a little shorter. I have dedicated myself to the pilot this time. Let's take a look at the original first. Similar to the Italian and Spanish Air Force and contrary to the RAF equipment, Luftwaffe pilots wear an ACS helmet with an MBU-20 mask and what is easily noticeable is the anchoring of the oxygen hose on the side of the helmet and the loops on the anti-G vest along with the connector module for the oxygen supply of the jet. The little things, such as the obligatory pen, won't like be noticed in that medium scale, but are a nice detail find out and ponder about on the model.

37732505kn.jpg

Unfortunately, the market doesn't really offer much in terms of matching figures. The only thing that comes into consideration is the "Modern RAF Pilot" figure by PJ productions. The figure is really very beautiful, but it is what it is, namely a pilot of the Royal Airforce and there are a few differences that can be clearly seen. In addition, the pilot is shown in a relaxed position with the visor open. So I have to carve a lot.

37732623py.jpg

The posture has to be changed, the helmet is roughly transformed into an ACS; I want to show the rotator for the visor a little differently, the protective cover should be readjusted using putty and of course the pilot needs a suitable visor. I try to make the mask look something like an MBU-20 and I must not forget the attachment for the side-mounted oxygen hose. Small details such as the pen are just a gimmick for the eye and for easier installation he gets the stick and throttle in his hand. Unfortunately I have to amputate his legs so that he fits into the cockpit, but you won't see them at all in the end the right direction. I will keep the head turned to the side, because at the end the Ghost Tiger will be tilted to the side and he looks just the right way. .... well, let's see, maybe as a precaution I'll just make a second pilot with a view straight on? let's see.

37732624kk.jpg

37732625ar.jpg

37732626wp.jpg

There's still a tiny wee bit ahead of us but we ae almost there. Before I turn to the engines, a few small details are added to some individual parts and to the fuselage.
The outer missile pylons still needed to get their chaff dispensers and all it too was a few details to the cooling vents and the rear. First a look at the original:

37753077zb.jpg

37753078mx.jpg

and then a qucik fix to the kit parts, i.e. add the cooling vents and drill the rear open and ad some tape and bits to make it roughly look the part:

37753080pa.jpg

37753081nd.jpg

I also tried to readjust the rain vent and some panellines in front of the windshield. I admit that my reference photos are not optimal here. I still hope for a little bit of support to better adapt that later on ...

37753108qi.jpg

37753109yp.jpg

O.k. ... and now it's going to get mighty funny again. I admit I wasn't aware of how many raised rivets the Tiffy has. It was absolute """fun""" to put that (For those that can't sens the sarcasm ... it wasn't!!!) . The rear area is teeming with these darned things, from the fin over the engine covers to the wing edges and the bleedair ducts on the belly, everything is full. What a joy. Let's look at the original again:

37753121vy.jpg

37753122vl.jpg

37753124ww.jpg

37753125aa.jpg

37753126ui.jpg

37753127cr.jpg

37753128zg.jpg

37753129ad.jpg

Last post for today: I'm not sure what that is, but I guess it's some kind of antenna or ECM thing, but the little bumps at the rear end of the wing roots are rendered round in the kit. But they should be flat according to the original. So they were sanded flat acordingly:

37753185qb.jpg

37753186qp.jpg

Edited by bushande
  • Like 1

Thihihi, thanks for the continued interest.

As threatened, it will be a little bit longer this time. We turn our attention to the engines. What does Revell offer us there? ....
Hmmpffff ... well, not a total loss, but let's be honest, there's a LOT of potential to do it better:

37760303yy.jpg

37760304ak.jpg

Two issues become apparent and right away spoil the mood.
1. The darned things are too long; on the original, the nozzles are almost in one line with the rear of the fuselage or more specific the door for the brake chute.
2. the nozzles also bend to the wrong side; on the kit piece it bends towards starboard, while on the original the nozzles bend towards the port side.
Here is for the reference with the original:

37760306xk.jpg

37760307re.jpg

37760308tl.jpg

37760309nl.jpg

37760310ul.jpg

Edited by bushande

I admit, whatever I do, the result will surely only be that of some kind of scratch building. Don't be too harsh on me!
A few years back the manufacturer "Olimp" released some resin parts for the Tiffy. They are rather hard to get nowadays. I was able to grab a set of resin nozzles for a cheap price in a stash sale, but I have to state that as hard as they are to get, so little can they be used.
At least they bend in the right direction, BUT ......

37760378ep.jpg

37760379gv.jpg

.... the Nozzles are even longer than the already too long Revell cans and the diameter is far too big, hence they do not fit on the kit. Unfortunately there is not enough material to sand it down to the necessary diameter.

37760386jy.jpg

At first I had the idea to separate the nozzles from the outer ring, sand the inner ring with all the controls as well as the separated nozzles as flat as possible and then glue the thinned out nozzles onto the smaller inner ring. But the material was so thin that it started to curl and bend under the glue. So that went south then. Let's try something different:

37760389my.jpg

37760390vb.jpg

In terms of shape, the Revell parts are actually really ok. I decided to make two sets of engines now; let's see which one turns out better in the end. What I dwon't use is preparatory work for another Typhoon.
At least I like Olimp's inner collars. The nozzles are junk, but at least I want to keep the parts that are useful. The turbine and the rest are actually very nice, so I'll probably still use them.
First I sanded down the inner collar as far as possible. Then the back was shortened so that it has the correct length, i.e. it is flush with the rear. Another tiny bit, then it should be just about right:

37760392px.jpg

Fortunately, Revell, as so often, offers a lot of thick plastic; enough to sand and grind properly, and above all enough to also reshape parts if necessary. So I roughly hollowed out the Revell nozzles and removed all the plastic between the nozzles. Then I carefully sanded the kink of the nozzles on the correct port side with sandpaper and otherwise carefully sanded away the rest of the material with a dremel. Then they were trimmed to the correct length:

37760518fl.jpg

37760519vb.jpg

37760520nr.jpg

37760521oi.jpg

As one can possibly see on the reference pictures, some control elements can be recognized quite prominently at the end of the feathers. I stretched a plastic rod over a candle into a thin thread and then cut tiny pieces out of it and carefully glued them to the inside of the nozzles before I thinned the rest:

37760522qh.jpg

37760524wo.jpg