Airfix 1:72 Spitfire PR.Mk.IG conversion

Hello!

I'm Nathan, I've been scale modelling for about 2 years now, and have had an Instagram account (soyme_scale_models) for just under 2 years showing the progress on my builds. Joined Britmodeller recently after hearing about it from a couple friends. 

I'll start off with some pictures of a model I completed in early December, the first from what I'd like to call my 'new phase of modelling' where I really focus on making things look grubby 😂. This is a conversion of the well known Airfix 1:72 Spitfire Mk.Ia, into a Spitfire PR.Mk.IG. These (along with later PR.Mk.XIX variants) were to fly at dawn and dusk, just below the clouds, over enemy territory on photo reconnaissance missions, therefore were painted a light pink colour which made them virtually invisible to the ground.

This was a rather simple conversion, as it only involved drilling 3 holes, one on the port side of the fuselage, and 2 on the underside just behind the wings (I slipped with the Dremel, completely ruining the starboard fuselage roundel, but attempted to save it by making a hit from shrapnel), and leaving off the antenna mast. It was a relatively easy build, but I found removing the aligner pins on the rear fuselage was necessary, as the halves wouldn't fit properly otherwise. Hardly any filler was needed, and the fit was decent. 

She was painted using Tamiya acrylics, with a mix of XF-12 and XF-7 at around a 70% to 30% ratio. The paint job was pretty simple, being all one colour. I then applied a coat of X-22 clear gloss under the decals, which were all from my spares box, following various illustrations of the aircraft. Another coat of X-22 was applied before using one of my favourite products, one I'd highly recommend, the Flory Models Dark Dirt clay based wash. I bought this at Scale Model world in Telford (the worlds largest model show) and it is FANTASTIC. After that was a coat of Tamiya XF-86 flat clear, then exhaust stains, and she was done!

I hope you like her, I definitely enjoyed building her.

Cheers, Nathanspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 23

6 hours ago, Soyme Scale Models said:

a Spitfire PR.Mk.IG. These (along with later PR.Mk.XIX variants) were to fly at dawn and dusk, just below the clouds, over enemy territory on photo reconnaissance missions, therefore were painted a light pink colour which made them virtually invisible to the ground.

the other 'pink' Spitfires were FR IX's, the PR XIX was a high altitude type. 

the reason I say 'pink' is that is was really an off white,  here's the only known  wartime colour image

3269411347_7010b64e9e_b.jpgSpitfire FR.IX by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

the modern warbirds that have been done like this are far too candy pink!

a few points and suggestions.  

Work on seam lines, it's dull, but you have couple showing, upper and lower nose,  Mr. Surfacer is really good for this type of work.

Grubby is fine, but the great majority of of aircraft are not grubby or worn. 

If you want to do grubby, and make an accurate model, study photos of the real thing, how the weather, and how stains and leaks are shaped by the airflow.

the above image is from here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=spitfire

part of @Etiennedup fantastically useful Flickr of WW2 colour images.

The clay wash maybe great, and would work well on a darker finish, but here, combined with the deep Airfix panel lines,  for this a pale grey wash would work better.

46327356974_8e8f271dfd_b.jpg&key=d15a185

see here

the chap in the link used a pale grey flory wash BTW

The above are some suggestions and some background on the subject.

Lots of positives,  the model is done,  well assembled,  the paint work is good,  you are happy, and that what is important, it's YOUR model. 

:goodjob:

welcome to the forum.  and look forward too more.

HTH

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mark4700 said:

Nicely done, although one small point, the panel lines are a little two prominent for my liking. 

thank you very much, yes the panel lines on this kit are very deep and wide. Inaccurate for the scale.

17 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

the other 'pink' Spitfires were FR IX's, the PR XIX was a high altitude type. 

the reason I say 'pink' is that is was really an off white,  here's the only known  wartime colour image

3269411347_7010b64e9e_b.jpgSpitfire FR.IX by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

the modern warbirds that have been done like this are far too candy pink!

a few points and suggestions.  

Work on seam lines, it's dull, but you have couple showing, upper and lower nose,  Mr. Surfacer is really good for this type of work.

Grubby is fine, but the great majority of of aircraft are not grubby or worn. 

If you want to do grubby, and make an accurate model, study photos of the real thing, how the weather, and how stains and leaks are shaped by the airflow.

the above image is from here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=spitfire

part of @Etiennedup fantastically useful Flickr of WW2 colour images.

The clay wash maybe great, and would work well on a darker finish, but here, combined with the deep Airfix panel lines,  for this a pale grey wash would work better.

46327356974_8e8f271dfd_b.jpg&key=d15a185

see here

the chap in the link used a pale grey flory wash BTW

The above are some suggestions and some background on the subject.

Lots of positives,  the model is done,  well assembled,  the paint work is good,  you are happy, and that what is important, it's YOUR model. 

:goodjob:

welcome to the forum.  and look forward too more.

HTH

Yes, this one was just a quick build to get me back on the workbench (My bench was right in the way of a 1 month renovation on the roof, so no modelling for a while!) I see what you mean about the wash, it is a bit too dark for the colour, but I was desperate to try out my new purchase of the flory wash. I am aware the colour is too dark, and the pictures don't help either, as its much lighter in real life. I mostly followed some pictures of modern aircraft for the colour, as all the WWII photos are B&W! Thanks for the feedback, it'll definitely go to the next one!

Cheers,

Nathan

Nice model but I agree that panel lines are a bit heavy. I’ve spent all day looking at a spitfire mk9 in brum museum and there is barely a recessed panel line but don’t take my comment as a criticism as it’s a cracking build. The airfix kit has some overdone panel lines so it’s inevitable they will pop with a wash! 

I remember reading somewhere about pink being the best colour for high altitude (in book about a night flyer but can’t remember title) and it was described as baby pink.

Edited by Wince
  • Like 1