1970s AIM-9 & AIM-7 versions and colours on RAF Phantoms

alhenderson

Afternoon All,

Getting to the nitty gritty of my F-4K.  She's a 1977 camo 43 sqn machine and I have a question about the missiles.  The Fujimi instructions say to paint the very tip of the AIM-9s black and have a yellow band forward of the rear fins (I think - not at home at the moment).  I'm having trouble working out how accurate this is, struggling to find pictures of live AIM-9s on camo RAF Phantoms.  Anyone out there able to put me out of my misery.  That's even assuming that the sidewinders in the Fujimi boxing are the right version (its the one with the FAA centenary bird on the front).  While I'm at it, can anyone provide similar information for the AIM-7s?

Thanks!

Al.

The AIM-9G/H (they're the same for modelling purposes) would have been carried.  The main body was semi-gloss white and the forward section was unpainted, anodized metal.  The fuze section aft of that was semi-gloss black.  Brown band on the rocket motor and yellow band on the warhead.

oF5ThM0.png

For the AIM-7E it was semi-gloss white with a ceramic radome which picked up dirt in storage and use turning from off-white to light gray.  Again, there was a brown band on the rocket motor and a yellow band on the warhead (just aft of the forward fins).  The Alaska picture below has the yellow band obscured by the strap holding it on the jammer.  Early versions of the AIM-7E also had black bands around the forward section of the missile acting as a sealant between the missile sections.  Brit AIM-7Es did not have the "L" shape on the forward fins though, these were the dogfight" verions of the Sparrow with different forward fins, so they carried the L marking to differentiate them from the earlier fins.  The Scott Wilson pictures are from his walkaround at ARC.

rKE5sS3.jpg

Mn04MHW.jpg

0Al0f61.jpg

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Hook said:

The Sidewinders in the Fujimi Spey Phantoms do not represent the AIM-9G, the closest is the AIM-9E.

Cheers,

Andre

I was beginning to wonder that, looking at the front fins.  Oh dear...  Might just have to live with it, I think.

Al.

8 hours ago, Murph said:

The AIM-9G/H (they're the same for modelling purposes) would have been carried.  The main body was semi-gloss white and the forward section was unpainted, anodized metal.  The fuze section aft of that was semi-gloss black.  Brown band on the rocket motor and yellow band on the warhead.

oF5ThM0.png

For the AIM-7E it was semi-gloss white with a ceramic radome which picked up dirt in storage and use turning from off-white to light gray.  Again, there was a brown band on the rocket motor and a yellow band on the warhead (just aft of the forward fins).  The Alaska picture below has the yellow band obscured by the strap holding it on the jammer.  Early versions of the AIM-7E also had black bands around the forward section of the missile acting as a sealant between the missile sections.  Brit AIM-7Es did not have the "L" shape on the forward fins though, these were the dogfight" verions of the Sparrow with different forward fins, so they carried the L marking to differentiate them from the earlier fins.  The Scott Wilson pictures are from his walkaround at ARC.

rKE5sS3.jpg

Mn04MHW.jpg

0Al0f61.jpg

Regards,

Murph

Regarding the " L " shape markings on the forward AIM7 E fins British Phantoms DID have those markings, as I well remember fitting them as a Phantom armourer during my days in RAF Germany.

I also checked in Patrick martin's excellent book on British Phantoms, and there are quite a few photos showing these markings as fitted to our FGR 2's and FG1's . HTH:cheers:

Edited by Starfighter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Regarding the " L " shape markings on the forward AIM7 E fins British Phantoms DID have those markings, as I well remember fitting them as a Phantom armourer during my days in RAF Germany.

I also checked in Patrick martin's excellent book on British Phantoms, and there are quite a few photos showing these markings as fitted to our FGR 2's and FG1's . HTH:cheers:

Thanks for the correction.  From the pictures I had seen I didn't think the Brits used the AIM-7E-2, and assumed they converted to the Skyflash instead.

Regards,

Murph

• Like 1