Corsair Mk II FAA "P54" Revell 1:72

That's end of my struggling with Corsair. My goal was to make model based on the workshop more experienced modeller and based on original photo. I realized that as good as I could. There are difficult to make signs of exploatation, scratch, dirt, stains of fluids. It is not perfect but I think much better than in my previous model. Model represents Corsair MkII JT260 on board HMS "Unicorn". There is some error in my side, because I used revell's model which represents Corsair manufactured by Goodyer FG-1D - in british markings MkIV. Differences beetwen versions are another propeller,  with slimmer blades, no air inlets on fuselage.

Also, model is not perfect too. There are different shape lower surface of wing flaps, they are too short, too long engine cooling flaps. In engine section engine cowling are too short and mismatched shape of that, cooling flaps and upper part of fuselage.

To make model I used eduard's photoetched parts and techmod's decals. Numbers on fuselage are painted by template masks.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Truly awesome.  Some of the best weathering I have ever seen.  The Corsair at the FAA Museum looks a bit like this at the moment.  They have stripped it down to its origianal paint.

• Like 3

It certainly looks very convincingly used or should I say, abused!

Maybe the ground crew felt sorry for it and gave it a new pair of wheels? They look factory fresh compared to the rest of airframe.

Impressive weathering job!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

Thank You for all good words.

I didn't imagine that my model will be so compliment. It was only training in weathering, because my previous model looked like dirty toy, not miniature of weathered plane.

3 hours ago, Doc72 said:

What is your technique?

Making this model I used first time chipping effect technique with  MIG chipping fluid. I used it between paint layers. First layer was Vallejo aluminium silver, next gloss varnish (X-22). Next I cover all surface with chipping fluid. There was some wrong, becuse this layer was too thick. Next layer was primer color - Tamiya XF-4 and I made first scratching. Next layer were camouflage colours and again chipping fluid. On chipping fluid layer I repeated camouflage colors but little lighter and I scratched these layers. It made effect of different thickness of paint layer and made additional effect on surface. After taht I cover everything again with gloss. On this layer I used oil paints - mixing black, white and brown to make different fluid leaks on fuselage and wings. I made it several times, and tapped it with brush and ear stick and rub it with paper towel. When I decided that effect is good enough, I cover everything again with gloss. At this moment I made classic wash with dark gray oil paint.

• Thanks 2

Very nice indeed Sebastian,..... the scheme is very well weathered and it is the best Revell Corsair II that I have seen to date,.... congratulations. Having built two of these,....I know it isn`t exactly a shake and bake kit!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Maybe the ground crew felt sorry for it and gave it a new pair of wheels? They look factory fresh compared to the rest of airframe.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Good observation. I have to weather it too. :) thak You

• Like 1

The weathering looks very well executed. One thing that put me off though were the main wheels. They look awkwardly clean compared to the rest of the aircraft. Maybe it's missing some weathering.

Cheers 

• Like 1