Major Walter Sigel's R-2 mount from I./St.G 3 as a 2 in 1 build

Basilisk

On 2/20/2020 at 12:56 AM, Ray_W said:

What CA are you using for this job? I vary CA and amount of talc depending on the job, thin CA for quick and brushable for more working time and then everything in between. With such a large job do you have any pointers?

I use medium CA and like you, vary the amount of talc depending on the task. In the past I used an old bottle of CA and this gave me up to 15 minutes of working time. But after I used it all, the new bottle of the same stuff dries much faster :( This was the reason I used dissolved sprue instead. But I don't like it as isn't as hard as the plastic, even though I used sprue from the Airfix kit. Lesson learned.

After finding the discrepancies on the horizontal stabilizers, I had a closer look at the wings - and boy, I wish I didn't :banghead:

This is how the Ju 87B underside of the wing looks like. This aircraft is a reconstruction happening in New Zealand based on a wreck and intended to fly!

spacer.png

And this is how it looks on the Airfix kit.

spacer.png

1 = Panel too wide

2 = Panel substantially too narow

3 = Aileron actuators at totally wrong location with over 5 mm too far in

4 = Flaps actuators on the other hand too close to the edge

5 = Panel lines too close to the edge.

Of interest are also the positive rivets within some of the panels.

And here a picture of the pattern wing on which the rebuilt is based on.

spacer.png

And then we have this.

spacer.png

The spot under the fuselage where the ETC 500 is attached to which the bomb is attached.

It looks to me that Airfix based there design on the picture below on the wright from the pilot manual.

spacer.png

But this picture states that the "cover panel" has been removed (ohne Verleidungsblech). The picture on the right shows this panel in place.

And here a picture of the Chicago R-2 which has the panel in place as well.

spacer.png

Most likely the aircraft wasn't flown without this panel in place, but Airfix doesn't offer this part.

I have to say that this Airfix kit is a big disappointment. All reviews praised this kit to be very accurate and full of great detail and a much better option than the older Hasegawa kit.

Sure, the outline of the kit isn't too bad, but most of the detail has little in common with the real aircraft which I find very disappointing. I would go so far to say that it is less work to make an accurate replica from the Hasegawa kit than from this Airfix kit.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Just now, Basilisk said:

I use medium CA and like you, vary the amount of talc depending on the task. In the past I used an old bottle of CA and this gave me up to 15 minutes of working time. But after I used it all, the new bottle of the same stuff dries much faster :( This was the reason I used dissolved sprue instead. But I don't like it as isn't as hard as the plastic, even though I used sprue from the Airfix kit. Lesson learned.

Thanks Peter, it's why I asked. I am always playing with different CA's.  Based on your experience I will probably just use my current normal, that being Stanley brushable CA with talc, in certain grooves and divots that irritate me. We will see. Like you, thick trailing edges are an irritation, so by default some of that surface detail is going to be knocked down. Also, I had to go to the Dentist and they have ordered me some of that Dentsply acrylic filler that Paul Budzik talks about. Very interested in its performance. We will see if I receive it in time. 

10 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

Sure, the outline of the kit isn't too bad, but most of the detail has little in common with the real aircraft which I find very disappointing. I would go so far to say that it is less work to make an accurate replica from the Hasegawa kit than from this Airfix kit.

Again, one of you builds is a great reference source for following builders. Oh no, more proud rivet heads - you must be HGW's favourite customer!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Oh no, more proud rivet heads - you must be HGW's favourite customer!

Yes I do like them and I will use some on this build :winkgrin: Will be interesting to hear your results using Dentsply.

One thing is sure, with all the corrections I like to do on this kit, it will be unlikely I finishing it within the time frame of this GB :shrug:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't forgotten this build, but redoing most of the surface detail is taking much longer than anticipated.

I used templates to re-scribe the various maintenance hatches.

spacer.png

And the finished horizontal stabilizers look now like that.

spacer.png

It is difficult to make the stuff visible as the black panel wash does get partially removed when wiping it clean as it doesn't stick well to the bare plastic - works much better on a painted surface. Unfortunately some of the original rivets are still visible. Fortunately mainly on the bottom side, so I just forget about them.

The wings are also re-scribed and I am now in the process of adding the fastener heads on the removable panels.

spacer.png

Which is another slow process. May take me another week or two to get it all done.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2