Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Recommended Posts

I hope this is the correct section for this question.  My friends mum has always loved Concorde, it is a model that she always wanted.  At some point she owned a diecast version which was lost during a house move.  We were talking over Xmas and my better half mentioned that I had made a few models.  So she joked asking me to build her a Concorde, specifically BA.  Then after a few drinks, I asked wheels up or down, response was "both please".

 

With this in mind, I would like to build both options and somehow display this, thinking of one of the tarmac, and another above in flight.  I am not sure how practical this will be yet.  But first I need to find to examples, scale wise, not sure either.  Can anyone recommend a kit that would make a good build please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'd clarify what was meant by "both please." It might just mean she imagines the gear can be movable (after all, it is in many static display models like the one the lady used to own). Or it might mean she wants you to make two models... Which is it?

 

If she definitely wants _two_ models (and not one) -- and if you are up for that -- you can go to town: apart from gear up and down, you can also show the nose up or down, not to mention different liveries, making the duo more meaningful.

 

Scale-wise, Concorde is as long as a 747 even in 1/144, so two 1/144 examples together would be as big as a single 1/72 example. Only you know how that would play out in your friend's mum's house...

 

On kits, Airfix makes a perfectly decent inflight model, but Revell wins if you want wheels and noses down. (I seem to recall the Revell kit was tooled by Otaki, of TriStar fame, back in the early 1970s, though I personally find Airfix more faithful in shape, though cruder.)

Edited by skippiebg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, skippiebg said:

I'd clarify what was meant by "both please." It might just mean she imagines the gear can be movable (after all, it is in many static display models like the one the lady used to own). Or it might mean she wants you to make two models... Which is it?

 

If she definitely wants _two_ models (and not one) -- and if you are up for that -- you can go to town: apart from gear up and down, you can also show the nose up or down, not to mention different liveries, making the duo more meaningful.

 

Scale-wise, Concorde is as long as a 747 even in 1/144, so two 1/144 examples together would be as big as a single 1/72 example. Only you know how that would play out in your friend's mum's house...

 

On kits, Airfix makes a perfectly decent inflight model, but Revell wins if you want wheels and noses down. (I seem to recall the Revell kit was tooled by Otaki, of TriStar fame, back in the early 1970s, though I personally find Airfix more faithful in shape, though cruder.)

I should have said, two model, one with wheels down and one in flight.  I had a look at some of the reviews for the Revell kit, mainly in the fact that the pieces needed to be cleaned off, but that's the same for all kits isn't it?  Nose down option would be good for the one on the ground.  So could I do both in BA liverie, but one from Revell and the other Airfix?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up to you which kits you choose. Airfix ought to be available more cheaply at swapmeets as it is less "singing-and-dancing," but I mustn't speak out of turn...

 

Just to repeat, for what it's worth, and in my personal view, Airfix is the better shape. Revell is clearly the more advanced option, with recessed skin lines, crisper edges, fussier detail, and the rest of it... Under paint and decals, the two would sit very comfortably (indeed indistinguishably so) next to one another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1:72 Airfix/Heller/Revell version (it's all the same tooling though decals differ) is great if (a) you want a model with presence, (b) you're not too worried about faithful representation of the real thing and (c) you have supplies of filler that you need using up.

Of the 1:144 offerings, my vote would be with the Revell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Kirk said:

The 1:72 Airfix/Heller/Revell version (it's all the same tooling though decals differ) is great if (a) you want a model with presence, (b) you're not too worried about faithful representation of the real thing and (c) you have supplies of filler that you need using up.

Of the 1:144 offerings, my vote would be with the Revell.

Thanks Kirk, I think the 1:72 will be to be, I haven't calculated the length, but won't be small.  Revell sounds like the best option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a very good free paper model download of Concorde in various liveries available here

It can be built wheels up or down and with the visor up orin takeoff or landing positions.

I've built 3 so far, one build is here on Britmodeller

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

There's a very good free paper model download of Concorde in various liveries available here

It can be built wheels up or down and with the visor up orin takeoff or landing positions.

I've built 3 so far, one build is here on Britmodeller

 

Thanks for the link, your build was very impressive, I'm not sure I have the skills to produce something as realistic.  Looks like lots of PE parts 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andy350 said:

I'm not sure I have the skills to produce something as realistic.  Looks like lots of PE parts

It's not that difficult, you won't know unless you try, and if it does go pear shaped, you just print another sheet out and try again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have any difficulty getting hold of a 1/144 Airfix kit their "new releases" include the Concorde prototype which I assume will be the old plastic with new decals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

If you have any difficulty getting hold of a 1/144 Airfix kit their "new releases" include the Concorde prototype which I assume will be the old plastic with new decals.

It is the initial Airfix kit with the short nose and tail that the two prototypes had.

Before you decide to build the 1/72 kit read the in the works here first. I have dropped the thought of build one after doing this. There seems to be to much pain just to getting it together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If she’s not worried about “constant scale” with the rest of her collection 😜 the Heller 1/125 model is rather nice, and available again. A bit more “presence” than a 1/144, but not as whopping (or as badly fitting) as the 1/72 versions...

beat,

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new tool 1/144 that fits well and is accurate would be on my shopping list for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Andy

The 1/72 Concode is about 3 feet long, you have to ask your friend mum if she has space for 2 of these. I have built the 1/72 Airfix kit as well as the 1/144 Revell version. I would recommend you build 2 versions of the small 1/144 Revell. The 1/72 kit takes a lot of time and work, times that by 2 you need to ask yourself is it worth building for someone else.

 

Hope that helps

Regards Toby

 

PS You can see the 1/72 Concorde I built in my Saturn V post last year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Dear Andy

The 1/72 Concode is about 3 feet long, you have to ask your friend mum if she has space for 2 of these. I have built the 1/72 Airfix kit as well as the 1/144 Revell version. I would recommend you build 2 versions of the small 1/144 Revell. The 1/72 kit takes a lot of time and work, times that by 2 you need to ask yourself is it worth building for someone else.

 

Hope that helps

Regards Toby

 

PS You can see the 1/72 Concorde I built in my Saturn V post last year

Hi Tony,

 

I new it was an impressive build, no, that's far too long.  And no, she would not have the space.  Thanks for the advice, I will look at getting the 1:72, but even in a display case it will be big!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Airfix 1/144 kit,  this one the original BA scheme.  This kit has a fixed nose.

Airfix_Concorde.jpg

 

Revell 1/144 kit, in the next BA scheme.

Revell-Concorde.jpg

 

Another Revell build, this one shows you the droopable nose.

Revell-Concorde-Flag.jpg

Revell-Concorde-Nose.jpg

 

Another Revell, built in flight - these are aftermarket BOAC markings, but similar to the forthcoming Airfix kit. 

Revell-Concorde-BOAC.jpg

 

Building a first model for someone unfamilar with models, I'd make it as simle and robust as possible.

In-flight, undercarriage retracted, nose raised, and on a stand.   I'd say Airfix is the most robust of the two kits I've shown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d say 1/144 the way to go - that’s probably far bigger than the diecast version she had anyway. The 1/72 kit is a huge challenge to even the most dedicated modeller - but giving it away to someone else???!

 

Tuppence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

Where does she stand on nose positions?

She won't be bothered, not that I've asked.  I think it might be best to build the 1/44 wheels and nose up, she would be happy with that I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1/44 revell ordered, my compromise will be, after rotation and a few meters from the tarmac. Any recommendations for a possible display case that can house runway please? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...