BF109 G6 colour experten, assistance needed

Walter

I need help working out the actual colour used on the underside of this plane PP+NO. From the only 2 pictures I have ever seen, both on the net an in books, it looks to me that the underside has been painted over quite dark. I however could be entirely wrong and its still RLM 76. What is evident is the overpainting done to this plane all the way down vertically on the fueselage to the point where there is no clear demarkation with the underside.
You can see with each photo that the plane was in different states of service. My understanding is that the plane was a test platform for the FuG 217 radar, were they perhaps testing paint schemes as well?

2020-01-08_01-56-31

2020-01-08_02-02-10

Hi Walter

That's a bit of a toughie.

Both pictures may have been colourised which makes things tricky.

The lighting (light and shade) is infuriatingly unhelpful as well! Notice how the photographer has cleverly managed to avoid including wheel doors or wing undersides.

However, if you look here

Bf 109 PP+NG

think that the circled area shows the outside surface of the undercarriage door in 76. Other caveats above notwithstanding.

As always, its your model, so paint it how you wish and then invite any dissenter to support their case constructively.

I've always had a soft spot for those radar equipped single seater Luftwaffe fighters. Go for it!

SD 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SafetyDad said:

Hi Walter

That's a bit of a toughie.

Both pictures may have been colourised which makes things tricky.

The lighting (light and shade) is infuriatingly unhelpful as well! Notice how the photographer has cleverly managed to avoid including wheel doors or wing undersides.

However, if you look here

Bf 109 PP+NG

think that the circled area shows the outside surface of the undercarriage door in 76. Other caveats above notwithstanding.

As always, its your model, so paint it how you wish and then invite any dissenter to support their case constructively.

I've always had a soft spot for those radar equipped single seater Luftwaffe fighters. Go for it!

SD 

Oh yeah that's a good observation. What is perpeplexing though is the dark colour from the wing root to the Baulkenkruez. If it wasn't oversprayed this should be much lighter, especially given this side isn't in shadow. You can also see the left bottom corner of the baulkenkruez is light and would be rlm 76. That dark line at the bottom of the fuselage is what makes me think it's not rlm 76 anymore. 

If you think differently I'd be happy to hear your thoughts and observations. Perhaps I this post should be called the study of light and shadow.

Edited by Walter

3 hours ago, Walter said:

Oh yeah that's a good observation. What is perpeplexing though is the dark colour from the wing root to the Baulkenkruez. If it wasn't oversprayed this should be much lighter, especially given this side isn't in shadow. You can also see the left bottom corner of the baulkenkruez is light and would be rlm 76. That dark line at the bottom of the fuselage is what makes me think it's not rlm 76 anymore. 

If you think differently I'd be happy to hear your thoughts and observations. Perhaps I this post should be called the study of light and shadow.

Good point - I had missed that.

SD

Those photos are horrible in terms of exposure, reproduction, etc.  I don't think I would necessarily infer much in the way of odd colours.  There is nothing about them that suggests to me anything other than standard Bf 109G camouflage colours.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with what's been said and would add one observation: In the port side photo, the highlight on the man's right temple and the shadow on his left face would suggest that the sunlight is coming pretty much straight down on the port side, in which case the shadow on the rear lower surface would be quite logical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

I agree with what's been said and would add one observation: In the port side photo, the highlight on the man's right temple and the shadow on his left face would suggest that the sunlight is coming pretty much straight down on the port side, in which case the shadow on the rear lower surface would be quite logical.

And i even think it was a cloudy day in which you can get lighting like this....

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

Is it possible that it is just a well used test A/C? Lots of exhaust streaking on the fuselage flanks, perhaps the belly is just dirty or just in shadow? That wheel door cover does look like a light blue...

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6