Airfix 1/48 JU87-B

Ted

I only have two WW2 airplane kits and one of them is a JU87, so I'd love to join if I may.

IMG_7649

IMG_7646

IMG_7647

IMG_7648

Edited by Ted
replaced photos
  • Like 5

I moved my pictures to Flickr and replaced them in this thread so hopefully all is visible.

Made a start on the cockpit. The kit figures are really good but don't fit the seats at all. I trimmed their butts and made a cushion with green stuff. I have to figure out the alignment of the pilot's left arm before gluing it on and painting the figures. The rear gunner needs to have his arms glued on after the fuselage is glued together so his arms can be fitted to his gun.

IMG_7654

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Great start. Very realistic crew.

Thanks, I like painting figures.

17 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Good to see that you could sort out your pictures. And your crew looks smashing :thumbsup:

Cheers, Peter

Me too, thanks!

I got the fuselage glued together. It aligned really well, after some sanding and a bit of quick rescribing I only need putty in a couple spots. Primer may prove me wrong.

IMG_7659

A friend gifted the kit to me years ago, he's a proper airplane modeller so there were some Ultracast exhausts and vacuformed canopy. I think I would botch up the canopy so I will use the kit clear parts, but the resin exhausts look much better that the molded bits. It was hard to cut off the plastic exhausts without butchering the fuselage.

IMG_7658

IMG_7657

• Like 7

On 1/12/2020 at 4:18 AM, Ted said:

Got the crew done.

IMG_7655

IMG_7656

I will always allow credit to Airfix for bothering to include crew figures.  They don't have to be included on a model but you can't have a model in "flight mode" without a pilot.  (Ok, if he has bailed out, but generally - a pilot!)  A bit like radio control planes with empty cockpits, just wrong.  

Great crew figures, I hope they get home safe 🙂

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jeepboy said:

I will always allow credit to Airfix for bothering to include crew figures.  They don't have to be included on a model but you can't have a model in "flight mode" without a pilot.  (Ok, if he has bailed out, but generally - a pilot!)  A bit like radio control planes with empty cockpits, just wrong.  

Just for fun. Bring British,  you should say, I hope they become Pow's safely. 😎

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 7:23 AM, Jeepboy said:

Thanks, me too, I get attached to them when I paint them.

I found a new favourite tool for applying tamiya putty. I got a pack of these silicone sculpting tools and they work well for pushing the putty around - it doesn't stick to the silicone.

IMG_7661

IMG_7660

IMG_7662

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nice progress Ted. The resin exhaust are definitely a great improvement.

Interesting way to apply putty. I stopped using tube putty and use now Mr Surfacer 500 applied with a brush for small fills and a CA/talcum powder mix for larger fills. It is interesting how we all develop a way to come to the same result using different stuff.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter, I'll have to get some Mr. Surfacer. I do need something better for small gaps.

I painted it! The dark green is too olive (XF-62) but it's the closest I have. The light green may be closer to the proper colour, it's XF-62 with lots of yellow. So much masking. Now I'll mask and paint the underside. Then the yellow and white bands. Then 50 decals.

IMG_7663 IMG_7664

• Like 6

On 1/21/2020 at 7:13 AM, stevej60 said:

She's turning into a superb Stuka Ted,

Great progress.

Thanks! For me, lots can go wrong with so much masking and so many decals. But so far so good.

I painted the bands and put on coats of Pledge, again, no drama.

IMG_7665

Then all those decals, and more Pledge, then flat clear.

IMG_7667

Again, all was good except a thumbprint on the bottom. I sprayed a few coats of thin buff as a filter and put away the airbrush...which meant I could finally pull off the canopy masks! The front looks ok except for a scratch from my knife when I was trimming the masks.

IMG_7668

But then the first blunders of the build reared their ugly heads. I forgot to trim the masks around two bits of canopy framing. And worse, some glue on the rear bubble window!!!

I'll fix what I can.

IMG_7669

• Like 10

Wow , what a superb painting job on the crew  and looking at hofar you have got on the splinter that looks superb too .

It is good to see an aircraft with the crew in at it gives it so much more life and history.

Cheers

Alistair

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much folks. I was just happy that there were no big blunders. Now I'm tidying up a bunch of little things.

I'm tempted to do some weathering because it looks a bit clean and plastic. Dot filters? Pin washes? Pigments? I just don't know.