Heinz Bär's Messerschmitt Me 262 (Tamiya 1:48)

Hello all, after my completion of the massive 1:32 Ju 87G from Hasegawa, I decided to go back to my usual scale of 1:48 and build the famous Me 262 done by Tamiya.

Here's the boxart, pretty nice.

fdJghRt.jpg

The obligatory shot of the sprues. They're six in total, five in dark grey and one clear.

vNNvKH7.jpg

8fg7bza.jpg

The instructions and the decal sheet:

L5X3kD7.jpg

And finally, the nose wheel well/counterweight.

VqyQDkw.jpg

The kit will be built as Heinz Bär's famous Me 262A-1a Red 13 in the RLM 81/82/76 scheme, with its red nose.

If you'd like to see my progress, click on the "follow" button below.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Greg Law said:

This will be good to watch. I will be interested in how it compares to my Hobbyboss builds. 

I think this kit has less pieces than the Hobby Boss one. Better for me.

Hello guys, I had some free time today and plunged it in building the Me 262.

The gunbay:

ped0afE.jpg

Nicely detailed, which won't be seen anyways so it'll be left unpainted.

DhpuPWK.jpg

The gunbay glued to the counterweight supplied by Tamiya. Notice the piece that accepts the nose landing gear strut at the very front of the weight.

JSym1Th.jpg

Wings done, not a difficult affair.

rniLca1.jpg

Not knowing of the supplied weight would be enough, I decided to add another lead weight (not in the photo) in the space between the gunbay and the cockpit.

5wScW3S.jpg

Fuselage glued together.

P9lPmVg.jpg

Fuselage and wings glued together.

v1nypGy.jpg

And the airframe virtually completed. Painting will follow soon, but not tomorrow, I'll be taking a trip to my local airport for some plane spotting.

• Like 8

You’ve made a great amount of progress in such a short time! I’d take weeks or months to get that far 😒.

I’ve got the bomber version in my stash, but I’m always looking out for a deal on one of these. I’m looking forward to seeing you finish this one out with the 81 and 82 camo!

Enjoy plane-spotting!

• Thanks 1

Looking splendid! :) Tamiya 1/48 F-84's also have a nose weight included (a metal ball and a cradle for it) which is pretty awesome. Even more interesting solution in this Me-262 - must be really nose light to require such a big chunk of nose weight! 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

You’ve made a great amount of progress in such a short time! I’d take weeks or months to get that far 😒.

I’ve got the bomber version in my stash, but I’m always looking out for a deal on one of these. I’m looking forward to seeing you finish this one out with the 81 and 82 camo!

Enjoy plane-spotting!

Thanks! That's the main advantage of brush painting and using acrylic paints, they dry really fast. I also don't fill and sand anything (because I don't find it entertaining), I progress fast because of that.

15 hours ago, RODH2 said:

If Tamiya supply the nose-weight, it's enough!!   😁

If you say so, but I wasn't too sure if it was enough. On my next Me 262 from Tamiya (it's sitting on the stash), I won't add extra weight.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1

Every step forward, no matter how small, gets one closer to the goal. 

Looking good! I wish I had room for more 1/48 models, there are some really nice ones available. That’s one reason why I stick mostly with the gentlemens’ scale. 

- Bill

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billn53 said:

That’s one reason why I stick mostly with the gentlemens’ scale

Yeah, I would have kept modelling in 72nd too, but my hands were too big for such small pieces.

Thanks!

I don't really like how the mottling came out, and the real aircraft (from a photo), doesn't have any, so I'll repaint the mottles with thinned RLM 76.

4dF2DMM.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik

Back to square one:

GlpysNi.jpg

The mottles were too thick to be covered properly by other RLM 76 coats, so the only solution I could muster was to strip the paint entirely and begin anew.

I spent 2hs today repainting the entire fuselage. It was worth it since the model resembles the real aircraft a bit more. I omitted mottling the tail, since there seems to be no such thing on the real aircraft.

EH8b79p.jpg

h1vgCCN.jpg

4dF2DMM.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

This is where an airbrush has a huge advantage

Yep, it's easy to make Luftwaffe camo with an airbrush. I like the challenge of making it with a brush however, and I've liked the results so far, except on this one.

17 hours ago, billn53 said:

Looking mighty fine!

Thanks billn53.

With the paint ridges sanded, the 262 was given two coats of glosd varnish to prepare the surface for the decals.

irnt14M.jpg