Anything but injection - Vickers Type 582

qn30jEkPz7

23 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:
On 3/3/2020 at 10:06 PM, LostCosmonauts said:

RAF wrap around camo

Thats my vote if you're interested ? 

Dennis

Seconded.

This partition between into front and aft half is quite special. No doubt this was the most suitable split for printing.

The Type 582 is a design I would call "distinctive", quite british. I have the Bookazine RAF: Secret Jets of Cold War Britain which shows some more intersting paper designs and gives insight into british jetfighter design of the eartly cold war era.

Markus

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

This partition between into front and aft half is quite special. No doubt this was the most suitable split for printing.

Yes, I tried breaking them up like injection moulded kits but @Kushan_Farsight pointed out that a different orientation and breaks between parts would better minimise the effect of the printing layers. It’s counterintuitive but makes sense once you get used to running them like that

7 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

I have the Bookazine RAF: Secret Jets of Cold War Britain which shows some more intersting paper designs and gives insight into british jetfighter design of the eartly cold war era.

I have exactly the same one (great read) - it is what nudged me down the road of printing prototypes and never-were planes. The DH Swallow and RAE proposals from the first chapter or so are in progress over on this thread 

• 2 weeks later...

Inching along. Still some sanding and filling to be done but I decided to put a basecoat of colour on to see how it might look 

49654808838_7170fde280_b.jpg

I printed off some wheels and the bay doors but still undecided on wheels up on a stand or down

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

A bit hacked off today so plunging ahead with this

49842487696_31c5c6d0f9_b.jpg

You can see where I dropped and split it in two then hastily glued back together. I just want to get something, anything, done today so it is getting decals cracks or no cracks and going into the gallery. 

Thanks @CliffB - It’s an odd one. Loads didn’t go well but in the end it is nice to get something out of the process at all and despite the flaws it makes a pleasingly daft  model anyway.

Things in hindsight I’d change:

- I’ve redone the digital file so the area around the cockpit works better now. I’d replace that with the new version

- Wheels didn’t work, my printer isn’t really up to it. Same with getting the definition on the joins at controlling surfaces. 

- I shouldn’t have snapped it at the last moment 

• Like 1