Anything but injection - Vickers Type 582

qn30jEkPz7

Honestly, did someone spike the water supply at Vickers? Every aspect of the design is unconventional so it is overdue being turned into a model. Thinking 1/72 but haven't decided on the RAF or RN version (possibly both)

bv2dvetn0kn21.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

Nice to see another 3D modeller on the forum, you've also picked a really interesting subject to build too. I look forward to seeing future updates :)

There are a few of us on here. Have you seen what @TheBaron is doing on a Sea Vixen build and @Serkan Sen on the Blackbird and A-12 Oxcart? Really lovely modelling

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Thanks 2

Dug out the Tony Buttler tome last night, scanned the 3-view drawing and spent some time getting the scan square, datums in place and printed off at 1/72 so I can start planning how to make it.

As I was musing on the build I also came to the conclusion that the reason I like this era of aircraft design so much is that it is the equivalent of the Cambrian explosion in biodiversity - there were so many new niches and possible avenues in aviation that all sorts of weird and wacky shapes had a chance to be explored. It is that diversity of design that I love

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

This is beyond bonkers, I'm tempted to say that it'll never fly! Can I suggest that inventing the universe and making the apple pie might be easier🤣

Put 8 jet engines in anything and fling it off the end of a carrier with a steam catapult and the chances are it’ll fly. Not necessarily well, for long or that the aircrew will relish/survive but it’ll certainly be propelled through the air however briefly

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

17 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Put 8 jet engines in anything and fling it off the end of a carrier with a steam catapult and the chances are it’ll fly. Not necessarily well, for long or that the aircrew will relish/survive but it’ll certainly be propelled through the air however briefly

8 engines and a stressed out crew at the end of the flight = B-52.

Hmmm.... now....a B-52 on a steam catapult.... what could possibly go wrong?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great idea, is it an off the shelf What If or an Off The Wall What if or both ?

Probably the same sentence was uttered in the MoD when this project first came up

Some progress (not that it looks like much)

I have covered several sheets of paper with weird shapes, arcane symbols and scrawled notes. Think of it as the Britmodeller equivalent of the Voynich manuscript

49375170242_a134632042_b.jpg

• Like 9

Having consulted the Britmodeller hivemind I've gotten a few ideas of how to finish but it doesn't look like the RN version is sensible/sane so I'm thinking that I'll still do two but maybe RAF strike and West German Navy schemes taking on the roles that the Tornado filled

Fuel tanks on the wingtips and a couple of AS34s under the wing of the German machine and rocket pods and bombs under the RAF one. Maybe even an interceptor variant... 

Edited by LostCosmonauts

5 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Wow, well that is an interesting design. I like it. Think this would good with a TSR2

Kind of similar in concept to some of the V-bomber replacement designs that were mooted around the same period. Hopefully I’ll get around to one of those in time for your V-force GB 

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin W said:

Im not sure of the location of the engine so hard to propose where an arrestor hook would be! 

Colin 

8 (yes, eight) shrunken RR Spey type engines of 2000lb thrust each buried in the central wing with a blown flap/slight thrust vectoring 

• Like 1

A little more progress to report:

- honestly there is a cockpit void and rudimentary ejector seats tucked away to no point or purpose as this will be printed in opaque PLA. Simply there in case I ever decide to redo and put a vac formed canopy on

- added the splitter plates for the engines

- added wheel bays and wheels (RAF 8 wheeled version is going to be first)

- had another go at the canopy and front of the port fuselage front but I'm still not 100% happy with it. From the rear quarter you can see a hump that is bugging me. I'd like to get rid of that before I call it ready to print

Pics of current state:

Screenshot (23)

Screenshot (24)

Screenshot (26)

• Like 5

A bit more progress. Am happier with the fuselage shape around the cockpit and have added options for gears down or up with some doors. Next stop a test print. I've broken it down into 4 main sections with separate wheel and door sub assemblies

Screenshot (28)

Screenshot (29)

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

C’est voila! Test print went well, those distinctive centre sections came put really sharp and good looking so I’ll run off the rest as is

49611008231_91c8080c3a_b.jpg

Not sure what to do on load out and paint scheme yet (pipe up with any ideas) but that’s always a fun quandary to have. 

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 4

Printer has just finished the rear half. Done in 4 sections.

49615318836_b10ab2878b_b.jpg

Just gluing together. Different colour on the front is just where I’f made a start on smoothing and priming. More to follow

Am torn between an RAF wrap around camo or a German Navy scheme a la Tornado with underwing Sea Eagles

• Like 3