Bell H-13E MASH, Italeri 1:72

Based on the Italeri kit for the Bell OH-13S, I build the H-13E used in Korea almost exclusively for MedEvac applications.

For this purpose, the engine and tank had to be modified, the entire grid frame shortened, baffles attached to the tail fin, the instrumentation modified and of course the distinctive stretchers with the protective hoods on the outriggers had to be built. Also the engine had to be modified, because early models were not equipped with Lycomings, let alone turbo engines.

After all a wild mix comprising of a detail set from CMK, a small set of etched parts from JADAR-Model, parts from the Pavla kit, a 3D printing as well as self-build parts from thin sheet metal, medical supplies, finest nylon yarn, lead wire, rod and sheet were used for the model.

The whole misery is described here in this build report in the German "Flugzeugforum". (You need to be logged-in to see the pictures, unfortunately.) But it is worth it…

Since the helicopter was in massive use in the Korea-war, there are no well documented individual models, which were flown by a later known pilot, for example. My H-13 is a typical representative of these helicopters, which were memorialized in the film and the TV series M*A*S*H. I have built an average type from all available picture material. Not even a list of assignable serial numbers could be found, and I actually even bothered the manufacturer Bell (now Textron) with it, but they say that they have nothing to do with the old military models anymore.

It was the first time ever that I took part in a competition with this model and actually made second place in 1/72 against very good modellers in 2017…

But you better form your own opinion.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 26

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Just another interesting story about the engine:

The machines were manufactured under the brand name Franklin by Air Cooled Motors, but the Tucker Car Corporation needed a powerful engine for their Tucker 48 (known as the Tucker Torpedo), which was in development, and found the O-335 to be just right. However, the machine was massively modified, among other ridiculous things it was converted from air to water cooling, only few parts of the original engine were taken over. Nevertheless the machine proved to be very robust.

In order to secure the engine source permanently, Tucker took over Air Cooled Motors for $1.8 million and cancelled all existing supply contracts. Since Franklin had a 65% market share, the entire aircraft engine market was deprived of a very important source. I think they opened several bottles of champagne at Lycoming...
By the way, in the end only 51 Tucker 48 were built.

Franklin aka Air Cooled Motors was sold to Poland and is now called PZL-F.

Side note: Tucker first tried to put a Lycoming machine in the back of the Tucker 48. One may now speculate what would have happened if it would have fit...

Now fire at will…

Edited by nexus11
  • Like 22

10 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I've always wanted to build one of the Italeri Souix kits, but I couldn't find a spider and a three-inch whip! Seriously- that's a very nice build!

Thanks, Mike. But the basic kit is easy to build. It was just my crazy idea of converting it to an early model which mad it a kind of difficult…

Very well done, sir, especially for such a tiny beastie!  I hope you don't mind if I use your build as a reference when I build my Bell 47.

I've had idle thoughts of doing a set of four modified to represent the U.S. Army Helicopter Square Dance Team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

I hope you don't mind if I use your build as a reference when I build my Bell 47.

Of course not, I feel honored. But please refer then to my above mentioned build report.

It's a little jewel. I got a 1 cent coin out of my pocket and zoomed the photo with the coin until the size matched. It really is very small. For you non Euro types about 15mm diam.

Such detail. 

• Like 1

Superb rendition of the MASH H-13! Also a good demonstration of the result of thoroughly researching a subject – a lot of fiddly work… 😉

Of course the basic problem with the H-13 in plastic model form is the thickness of the tail boom lattice. Even in 1:35th scale, the tubing comes out as grotesquely overscale. Several years ago I saw (online photos of) a 1:72nd H-13 with a tail boom that actually looked amazing. The modeller (I think he was Italian) had soldered the whole lattice from scratch, piece by piece, using fine nickel silver wire!

It ended in tragedy – he had to send the model by post to an exhibition. You can imagine what happened…

Maybe an in-scale rendendering of the H-13 tail boom is virtuall unattainable with current technology?

Apologies for the rant – the Bell 47 is rather close to my heart, as it was the first helicopter type I flew in as a green television film cameraman. 😉 I'll tell the story another time.

Great little model, Nexus11!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

I have the Pavla kit and hope it's usable. I saw Attack Squadron makes a 3d tail boom but forget for which model or version. I think I saw a yt video of a surviving flyable MASH TV Bell 47. This one looks good, even better when you know how small it is.

6 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

thickness of the tail boom lattice

Yes, indeed. I tried to rebuild it with the smallest Evergreen-rods available. No joy… and it began with a disaster so I disbanded this idea very quick. Building models is also about possibilities and sometimes one has to sacrifice the perfect scale implementation-

7 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Maybe an in-scale rendendering of the H-13 tail boom is virtuall unattainable with current technology?

6 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

I saw a 3-D printed one somewhere online.  Very appropriate use of the technology IMHO.

Yes, of course I know this part, it's nice, expensive and of course wrong. It's the longer one…

http://www.attacksquadron.pl/en/2016/03/07/bell-47-h-13s-model-3d-attack-squadron-tail-boom/

So not at all well suited for my project. And to be honest, it was the right decision.

1 hour ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I have the Pavla kit and hope it's usable

I used parts of this kit. It's a well-intentioned attempt, but to build the frame out of flat etched parts I think is pointless. 

• Like 1