Mr Hobby Mr Color over Mr Paint MPR and vice versa

ToonarmY

Hi all,

I am a little confused with paints. I have the following paints:

Mr hobby Mr color paints which are described as a solvent based acrylic.

Mr paint pre mixed airbrush paints described as a lacquer based acrylic.

Would I be able to spray one of these over the other without any issues?

Does anyone have any experience using these?

Note i will be using Mr Hobby Levelling Thinner with the Mr Color paint. 

Screenshot-20200107-213634.jpg
Screenshot-20200107-213455.jpg

Edited by ToonarmY

25 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

Yeah, you can spray them, mix them, they'll be fine.

Maybe, maybe not. In these days, paint chemistry can be complicated. I have no experience with either Mr. Color or MRP, but I would NEVER apply a lacquer or lacquer-based paint over any other kind. Lacquer is a solvent, but of a different kind from the typical solvent used in hobby enamels. To be safe, I'd suggest experimenting; spray a patch of the Mr. Color and let it cure for 24 to 48 hours. Then spray MRP on it and watch for a reaction, if any.

I do have experience with both types. As described above.

Also I've successfully used lacquers over waterbased and even over enamels (with sufficient drying time).

Edit: the only thing that you need to adjust with MRP is the painting technique. It's very aggressive with styrene, you need to do mist coats and slowly build it up. But that's been discussed over and over in other topics.

Edited by bmwh548

10 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

I do have experience with both types. As described above.

Also I've successfully used lacquers over waterbased and even over enamels (with sufficient drying time).

Edit: the only thing that you need to adjust with MRP is the painting technique. It's very aggressive with styrene, you need to do mist coats and slowly build it up. But that's been discussed over and over in other topics.

Well, you're a better painter than I am. I've always gone by the rule "water-based paint over enamel over lacquer" but never the other way 'round. But I started modeling back in the Dark Ages before hobby acrylics were introduced and about all we had in the US were enamels from Testors, Pactra, and even Aurora and Comet. Humbrol came to the US later. The only hobby lacquer on the market was Floquil (xylene-based), and you dared not try to apply it over enamel or even bare styrene plastic lest the enamel or model craze badly.

These days there are so many new hobby paints with differing formulations that I always experiment before applying two different brands of paint to a model (unless both are enamels) and suggest to others that they do the same. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of un-melted styrene — probably more, when you consider the cost of both paint and model kits these days.

Edited by Space Ranger

I am anything but a good painter. I still get issues due to carelessness or insufficient testing, but Gunze are my go to paints (whenever I'm not using automotive paint), and I've tested MRP in combination with them on a few occasions. I consider Gunze a superior paint to MRP, but that's personal preference.

Didn't mean any disrespect with the previous post, just stating that I know from personal experience those paints are compatible for airbrushing.

1 hour ago, bmwh548 said:

I am anything but a good painter. I still get issues due to carelessness or insufficient testing, but Gunze are my go to paints (whenever I'm not using automotive paint), and I've tested MRP in combination with them on a few occasions. I consider Gunze a superior paint to MRP, but that's personal preference.

Didn't mean any disrespect with the previous post, just stating that I know from personal experience those paints are compatible for airbrushing.

No disrespect felt by me.  Learning from the personal experience of other modelers is why we all come to this forum, and I appreciate your comments about two lines of paint which I have considered trying but have not yet had the opportunity to do so.

I have used both Mr Color (Lacquers) and Mr Paint (Lacquers) with each other to no ill effect. I would be careful using either over the Mr Color Hobby Aqueous Acrylics though. If unsure testing is always a good idea as stated above.

Duncan B

52 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

I have used both Mr Color (Lacquers) and Mr Paint (Lacquers) with each other to no ill effect. I would be careful using either over the Mr Color Hobby Aqueous Acrylics though. If unsure testing is always a good idea as stated above.

Duncan B

Thanks. 

Fortunately I wont he using the aqueous

• Like 1

Also depends on the thinners used.  I use Mr Color Leveling Thinner on both Mr Color and Aqueous (and a lot of others).  If the thinners are the same, the risk of problems is much reduced.  But if you use something like cellulose thinners over Mr Color, then stand by for problems!

Regards

Tim

I've used cellulose thinner to dilute all off Gunze 's products with no issues. Also I've cleared Mr. Color and Aqueous with clear that was diluted with cellulose thinner. Strictly airbrushed. If you're talking about paintbrushing then you're always going to be in trouble when using cellulose thinner to overcoat.

On 1/9/2020 at 6:56 PM, TimB said:

Also depends on the thinners used.  I use Mr Color Leveling Thinner on both Mr Color and Aqueous (and a lot of others).  If the thinners are the same, the risk of problems is much reduced.  But if you use something like cellulose thinners over Mr Color, then stand by for problems!

Regards

Tim

Mr Levelling thinner is cellulose, just a lot weaker and with some added retarder etc than commercial cellulose thinners