Just Passing Through: 466TFS F-105D

Couldn't get to the transient line fast enough when I heard these come in at lunch time. Unfortunately, I only had a few shots left in my camera (Canon A-1) and no additional film rolls in my camera bag!

F-015D Thunderchiefs of the 466th Tac Fighter Squadron, 508th Tac Fighter Group, Air Force Reserve, out of Hill AFB. Nellis AFB, November 1980.

62-4242

62-4242 466tfs HI KLSV 19801100 07cr

62-4372

62-4372 466tfs HI KLSV 19801100 33cr

62-4372 466tfs HI KLSV 19801100 34cr

62-4372 and 62-4361

62-4372 466tfs HI KLSV 19801100 04cr1

63-4242, F-105F 63-4287, and the tail of 61-0084

62-4242 466tfs HI KLSV 19801100 05cr

Thanks for looking,

Sven

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Wonderful shots of a classic aircraft - thanks for sharing Sven

On 1/7/2020 at 8:50 PM, Old Viper Tester said:

Couldn't get to the transient line fast enough when I heard these come in at lunch time. Unfortunately, I only had a few shots left in my camera (Canon A-1) and no additional film rolls in my camera bag!

Those of us who grew up with 35mm film will be nodding knowingly remembering an experience now lost to the DSLR and Smart Phone generation.

Out of interest are you scanning your images from negatives or prints and do you do any additional processing before you upload them: it's just struck me that the quality of your images is indistinguishable from digital images.

Edited by Richard E

8 hours ago, Richard E said:

Out of interest are you scanning your images from negatives or prints and do you do any additional processing before you upload them: it's just struck me that the quality of your images is indistinguishable from digital images.

I'm scanning mostly Kodachrome 64 slides. I've got some Ektachrome that I took in a pinch when I couldn't get K64, but those tend to be grainier. The images I post are generally 360dpi using an Epson V550 scanner. The V550 scanner has a max resolution of 12800, I'm currently re-scanning a lot of my Edwards images at 12800dpi.

I do clean up the images a bit in Photoshop. Usually. I do a "color enhancement", this makes the colors a little bit more vivid (more like I remember when I took the images 30-40 years ago) but it also makes the slide slightly darker, so I follow-up with a "shadow/highlight" brightness increase of between 10 and 25 percent. This does lighten the shadow areas, but also seems to brighten the rest of the slide slightly. I then finish with what Adobe calls an "Auto Smart Fix" which, to my eye seems to smooth every thing out.

After all this, I go around the image with a Spot Healing Tool to eliminate dust shadows that a good shot of air wouldn't remove or any imperfections that may have accumulated over the years and USAF posting movements (when we moved to London, a mover dropped a box of slides that spilled 750 slides all over a wet lawn and walkway - some of those slides couldn't be restored). Some slides need more attention - I've got an aerial shot of an F-16XL where scanners insist on turning the tan desert background purple. I have yet to find a correction sequence that returns the background to what I remember. I've been working on that slide, off and on, for more than 10 years now.

Cheers,

Sven

• Thanks 1