The Last F4 Phantom Show at Hyakuri

Latinbear

It has taken me a while to get around to sorting these out but here are a few from the final F4 Phantom show that took place on November 30th/December 1st at the J.A.S.D.F. base at Hyakuri.

The RF4Es and RF4EJs of 501 Squadron will be retired in March while the F4EJs of 301 Squadron will go at some point in the next year or so. The exact date seems a little unclear. I spent seven days at Hyakuri before the show with the aim of capturing as much flying as possible but unfortunately the weather was awful and of the four rehearsal days planned I don't recall a single one being completed. There was also very little operational flying taking place. 

However, like last year the locals' show on the 30th was blessed with glorious weather while the show day itself saw reasonable conditions which made up somewhat for the disappointment of the previous week. The fact that this was the last Phantom show and the presence of the Blue Impulse made for a bumper crowd.

For anybody planning to go Hyakuri it is worth noting that the spotters' area on the west side of the base just south of the control tower and which offered great lift off shots was fenced off in mid-November. This is a huge shame as it could accommodate 150 people on ladders without a problem. The result is a tiny sliver of land a little distance away that is full once you have 5-6 people in place. Apparently the locals had complained about traffic and mess. Secondly, the gravel track that runs parallel to the runways at the southern end of the base opposite the Q sheds was badly rutted (to the extent that vehicles were grounding) and became more so during the week preceding the show owing to the wet weather and volume of traffic. The towers remain fully operational. 

The base itself had a real sense of winding down. There were no T4s in evidence, fewer airframes on the ramp - the most I counted was 14 from both squadrons combined - and the Q sheds were empty while I was there. Subsequent to the show somebody who was there on an organised trip saw six airframes being broken up 😢

More positively, there was evidence of construction work taking place and it seems that the F2s will be moving in from Misawa so it is far from over for Hyakuri.

AAA_4202 (2)

AAA_3792 (3)

AAA_7893 (2)

AAA_6904

AAA_4042 (2)

AAA_6866

AAA_6712

AAA_6773

File0469

AAA_5167 (3)

AAA_5660 (3)

AAA_6377

AAA_3442 (2)

AAA_4399 (2)

AAA_7218

AAA_4075 (2)

AAA_8170

AAA_4581 (2)

AAA_7485 (2)

File1236

21. Taken from the naughty field by the QRA. It took security three minutes to arrive but they let me stay to take a few shots. 

AAA_4029 (2)

File0313

AAA_9742

AAA_5973 (3)

AAA_9827

AAA_8223

File3632

File0524 (2)

File3970

AAA_9841

File3126

File2902

AAA_4323 (2)

AAA_4602 (2)

File2862

36. These two have been retained but are without engines. 

AAA_4799

AAA_4939

File1897

That's it! Thanks for looking. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

A terrific set of photos and some marvelous colour schemes to mark the pending stand down of the mighty Rhino.  It's hard to believe that an aircraft that has been in front line service throughout my lifetime (57 yrs)  is finally nearing the end. Sad days indeed :(

• Like 1

Thank you for all the generous comments, much appreciated and glad you like the images.

My fascination with the Phantom stems from being buzzed by one at low level on a family holiday on the Norfolk Broads in 1975 and ever since then it has been my favourite aircraft. It does seem incredible that the first one flew in 1958 and yet it is still in service with five air forces albeit of course in dwindling numbers. 

I did think this was my last trip to Hyakuri to see the Phantoms but as I was compiling these images I found myself longing to go back for "one more last visit" as my wife keeps reminding me I tell her. 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2020 at 9:27 AM, busnproplinerfan said:

I'm guessing most or all will be scrapped? Love to see some in the air again.

Unfortunately I think the scrapman will be busy. A huge shame not least for the fact that of the five remaining users Japan is the most tolerant of spotters. 

• Like 1

Superb photos, as ever. The dark days actually add to the atmosphere of some of the shots too.

There are tours running next year in March, to catch the end of operations. Let me know of you are going and I will give you a good list of local model shops 😉

Andy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Superb photos, as ever. The dark days actually add to the atmosphere of some of the shots too.

There are tours running next year in March, to catch the end of operations. Let me know of you are going and I will give you a good list of local model shops 😉

Andy

Thanks Andy, very kind and much appreciated!

I did rather get a tingle as I was looking at the images and after the disappointment of such poor weather in Tokyo and my failure to locate the model shops I think another attempt is called for! Dates to be determined but now I have the green light from SWMBO then the planning hat can go on. 

12 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

Marvellous images... thanks for posting. OK so who’s doing decals for that 301 scheme ?

Hasegawa naturally! And you get a free Phantom kit with the decals. 🤣

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-f-4ej-kai-super-phantom-301sq-f-4-final-year-2020-hsg02319

Mine is already on order. Hasegawa have also produced the RF4s in the special retirement schemes too.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Latinbear said:

Thanks Andy, very kind and much appreciated!

I did rather get a tingle as I was looking at the images and after the disappointment of such poor weather in Tokyo and my failure to locate the model shops I think another attempt is called for! Dates to be determined but now I have the green light from SWMBO then the planning hat can go on. 

Let me know when you need some help for those shops!

Andy

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Latinbear said:

Hasegawa naturally! And you get a free Phantom kit with the decals. 🤣

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-f-4ej-kai-super-phantom-301sq-f-4-final-year-2020-hsg02319

Mine is already on order. Hasegawa have also produced the RF4s in the special retirement schemes too.

DXM are doing the digital JASDF Phantom in 1/48 and 1/32, then comes the 'Fuji Film Phantoms' 

Can't wait

Andy

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

Let me know when you need some help for those shops!

Andy

Cheers Andy, will do. I'm wondering whether I've come across DXM before? There were some chaps from Japan selling books and decals at the last IPMS which included last year's specials. Had I not already bought the Hasegawa kits then I would have bought the decals. From memory, they looked very high quality.  

20 hours ago, Red Dot said:

DXM are some if the very best decals. They cover a lot of JASDF stuff and are printed by Cartograf.

Good to know - many thanks. I had a look at their website and I was impressed by what I saw.