1/72nd Sword Spitfire FR.Mk.XIV, 11 Sqn, RAF Seletar, Singapore 1946

I am so sick and tired of modelers lying and saying they brush painted this or that.  Clearly you are a master of the airbrush.  No one can brush paint white like that.  😃  All kidding aside, you have done a masterful job with the hairy brush.  Gotta know what brands of paint, what brands of brushes and the secret of your sorcery.  My hat is off to you, but quit lying!!!!  🙂

• Haha 1

A real beauty Sir,a real beauty.

And brush painted too?,one would love to know your secret Sir,a few kits have been acquired(aiming one toward a retirement hobby one suspects),

one such is the recent Airfix 1/48th scale Spitfire XIV(a Father's Day present from my daughter and son-in-law,she knows I like the Spitfire)and will be brush painted.

And doesn't the XIV low fuselage Spit look like it's travelling at top speed even when parked?

Dave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JWM said:

Very nice! 

BTW - only four years between 1942 and 1946 and what a difference in  machines based in Singapore!!!

Regards

J-W

Cheers buddy,.....and yeah,.... wasn`t there ever eh! Buffalo, Hurricane, Blenheim, Vildebeest etc,......to a 400mph+ Griffon Spitfire!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

I am so sick and tired of modelers lying and saying they brush painted this or that.  Clearly you are a master of the airbrush.  No one can brush paint white like that.  😃  All kidding aside, you have done a masterful job with the hairy brush.  Gotta know what brands of paint, what brands of brushes and the secret of your sorcery.  My hat is off to you, but quit lying!!!!  🙂

LOL!!! I get asked about the brush painting a lot,.....and the secret,.....just practice mate,...lots of it and I still make balls ups!!! A few tips,...... don`t load your brush too much,..... build up layers rather than slapping too much on,....spread the paint around evenly and scrub any brush marks flat,..... for large areas use a flat wide brush,........ don`t be scared of using a smaller brush for demarcations and then filling in using a larger, flat brush. I use acrylics and enamels,..... whichever colour is best for the job. I did like Aeromaster and Polly Scale but I`m running out of those now so have tended to fall back onto Humbrol enamels,...... but I`m still experimenting with thinners etc for Tamiya and Xtracrylics. Hope that helps,....cheers, Tony

5 hours ago, DaveWilko said:

A real beauty Sir,a real beauty.

And brush painted too?,one would love to know your secret Sir,a few kits have been acquired(aiming one toward a retirement hobby one suspects),

one such is the recent Airfix 1/48th scale Spitfire XIV(a Father's Day present from my daughter and son-in-law,she knows I like the Spitfire)and will be brush painted.

And doesn't the XIV low fuselage Spit look like it's travelling at top speed even when parked?

Dave

Thanks Dave it just looks sleek doesn`t it,.....agree with you 100% mate! Re painting,.....as above really.  It is just practice mate,..... don`t load your brush too much,..... build up layers rather than slapping too much on,....spread the paint around evenly and scrub any brush marks flat,..... for large areas use a flat wide brush,........ don`t be scared of using a smaller brush for demarcations and then filling in using a larger, flat brush. I use acrylics and enamels,..... whichever colour is best for the job. I did like Aeromaster and Polly Scale but I`m running out of those now so have tended to fall back onto Humbrol enamels,...... but I`m still experimenting with thinners etc for Tamiya and Xtracrylics. Some colours like Yellow, White, Red and large areas of Black,..... I just use rattle cans for those these days,..... life is getting too short to built up 5-6 or more brushed on layers,...... but that is done outside as I model on a table in the living room!! 

Hope that helps,....cheers,

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice build Tony and a lovely finish. I have found Xtracyrlix brush well thinned with flow improver and deionised water. It doesn't need a lot but makes a big difference in reducing brush marks. Tamiya, I have found needs it own thinners as it seems to 'pull' if not diluted. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 7:59 PM, JWM said:

Very nice! 

BTW - only four years between 1942 and 1946 and what a difference in  machines based in Singapore!!!

Regards

J-W

Yeah... But remember that in next 4 years (1950) there were DH Vampires based at Seletar.

@Tonyot - splendid job. Some 40 years ago I have built the very similar MV320 clipped-wing FR XIVE using the then state-of-the-art (and only) FROG kit. These were the years :)

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2

On 1/8/2020 at 2:22 PM, gingerbob said:

I'd never noticed the light-coloured leading edges on the wingtips before that first photo, and I see you apparently didn't notice them either!

Favorite Mark, and a flattering scheme- what's not to like?

bob

Hiya Bob,.... the daylight has been awful so I`ve had to take a pic with a flash in the end ,.....here is the `updated' Spit;

DSCF7174-NEW.jpg

And the other model was tweaked too;

DSCF7171-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

On 1/9/2020 at 7:38 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Nice one, Tony. It seems the Spitfire angels are flying at the moment, with a few RFIs posted :)

Martin

Thanks Martin,..... yeah there are some nice Spit`s being posted lately.

On 1/9/2020 at 7:54 AM, Touvdal said:

Just love your builds.

😃

cheers

Jes

Thanks Jes,... nice of you to say so.

On 1/9/2020 at 8:11 AM, Mr T said:

Very nice build Tony and a lovely finish. I have found Xtracyrlix brush well thinned with flow improver and deionised water. It doesn't need a lot but makes a big difference in reducing brush marks. Tamiya, I have found needs it own thinners as it seems to 'pull' if not diluted. 

Cheers mate and thanks for the advice too. I bought some more Xtracrylics yesterday.

On 1/9/2020 at 9:49 PM, ArmouredSprue said:

Top notch job. Well done mate

Thanks mate,.... nice of you to say so.

19 hours ago, KRK4m said:

Yeah... But remember that in next 4 years (1950) there were DH Vampires based at Seletar.

@Tonyot - splendid job. Some 40 years ago I have built the very similar MV320 clipped-wing FR XIVE using the then state-of-the-art (and only) FROG kit. These were the years :)

Cheers

Michael

Very true about the Vampire,....... glad you liked the Spit,..... like the real thing we`ve moved a long way since the old Frog kit and yet we thought it was brilliant at the time! 

Cheers everybody,

Tony

On 1/8/2020 at 2:22 PM, gingerbob said:

I'd never noticed the light-coloured leading edges on the wingtips before that first photo, and I see you apparently didn't notice them either!

Favorite Mark, and a flattering scheme- what's not to like?

bob

I`ve just added new pics of the model with the paintwork altered accordingly! 

DSCF7200-NEW.jpg

Cheers again Bob,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wulfman said:

Excellent job on the Spitfires, I have several Sword Spitfires / Seafires in stock so thanks for the tip.

Wulfman

Cheers Wulfman,.... the Sword kits are very nice, hope you enjoy them.

Just beautiful Tony, how the hell I managed to miss this earlier is a matter of concern for me, my quick scans of the View New Content pages are lacking the incisiveness I once thought they had. :(

I'll try & take more care in future, this is just too good to miss like that. :) 

Steve.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Just beautiful Tony, how the hell I managed to miss this earlier is a matter of concern for me, my quick scans of the View New Content pages are lacking the incisiveness I once thought they had. :(

I'll try & take more care in future, this is just too good to miss like that. :) 

Steve.

Cheers Steve,...... glad that I changed the pics and bumped it back up then,........ 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Impressive! These are two perfectly built Mk XIV. 👍 The Exito Decals on the clipped wing Spitfire are a good choice and look superb. I also acquired their Mk XIV sheet recently and was pleasantly surprised that they even include printed profile cards for each aircraft.

Edited by 112 Squadron
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 11:25 PM, Bedders said:

Only come to this now having recently picked up my new 3-pack of Sword XIVs and was looking for inspiration. I just found it! Breat build and finish Tony.

Justin

Thanks Justin,..... glad to help,.... I was surprised to see this one rear its head again! Good luck with your 3 box kit,..... the are nice little models.

On 12/14/2020 at 11:55 PM, flyingpiggy said:

Another unusual paint job much appreciated keep em coming

Thanks mate,.... glad you like the off beat stuff pal.

23 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

Impressive! These are two perfectly built Mk XIV. 👍 The Exito Decals on the clipped wing Spitfire are a good choice and look superb. I also acquired their Mk XIV sheet recently and was pleasantly suprised that they even include printed profile cards for each aircraft.

Thanks,.... yes the Exito decals are superb and certainly go the extra mile with the cards including artwork and reference info,..... how decals should be! I`ve wanted to build that particular Canadian (ex Aussie) Spitfire for years!