Shelf Queen; AKA Sherman lll.

I have several shelf queens sitting around in various stages of build, and I thought it time to get another one finished out of the way. I completed the Centaur last year and this one has been glaring at me ever since. Ironically, given what I’m building at the moment, this one is a Sherman lll with welded hoods, only this one is in 1/35th scale. Again, like my current build, it is in Light Mud/Blue Black based in Italy, but this one is a British vehicle as opposed to the NZ one that I’m building in 1/48th.

I’d got all the way to the decaling stage with this, but made a right royal mess of the wash that I applied. So I obtained a duplicate set of decals for “Clive”, and gave it a light blowing over with thin Light Mud. I then repainted the Blue Black cammo, and that’s how it’s sat for the past five or more years. So last night it was given a thorough wash to remove the oodles of accumulated dust and left to dry, awaiting the new decals.

A (tiny) bit of history of this model. This is a Dragon kit and a lot of the parts on the model were in the box. Things such as the inverted sand shields which were welded to the rear, and the cages for the fuel cans on the front track guards. These were part of an etched set included in the kit. The crew’s kit came from various manufacturers such as Verlinden.

685691b1-e1eb-46a4-bc8f-8b9398eb102e.JPG

OK, so now that it's cleaned up and given a coat of varnish, the new decals will go on and then hopefully I can get on and get this off of the shelf of doom.

John.

• Like 13

Looking forward to watching this one. 🧐

Would have been a shame for it to languish on a shelf gathering dust, looking forward to seeing it finished as it deserves.

(Just wish you'd done it a week ago, if that's Light Mud Vallejos interpretation is well off the mark. The one I've just used has a real green hue to it, not being familiar with it I used it assuming it to be something like....:doh:)

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Hi Darryl. It kept giving the evil eye, so I just had to finish it off. Maybe when it's done and dusted, I'll get on with my French M4A3. That just needs a base.

Reaching back into the distant past, when I sprayed this one, the Light Mud  was a Tamiya mix from (I think) a Mike Starmer recipe. But the Kiwi Sherman that I'm also doing at the moment is the Vallejo Light Mud and the two look very similar to me.

Anyway. Moving on. Not a lot of change except that the decals are on. The new set of decals went on reasonably well. There were just a couple of areas where they didn’t conform to uneven shapes too well, ie; the two number 38’s on each side of the blanket box. Dragon seems to have made a slight cockup with the decals as in the diagram for applying the decals, it shows four separate positions for the red/white/red marking, but only includes three. Whereas they include three “38’s”, but there are only two positions for them, either side of the blanket box.

81786a4c-5214-4774-9eb5-36cabf41f4f9.JPG

decf3d79-ae80-4878-9ebf-74bbd27a0346.JPG

OK, so now it's time for the airbrush and the matt varnish to come out, and then I can get on with the detail painting and the pigments.

John.

• Like 9

15 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

A nice base to work it ...:popcorn:

Cheers John 👍

14 hours ago, Tiger said:

John you have produced a great looking Sherman.

Many thanks to both of you. I've got some detail painting started, but I've been doing some work on my 1/48th Sherman also, plus life is getting in the way of modelling.

John.

'Afternoon Stix. I'm hoping to have this finished in a couple of weeks time, and then I can finish off another shelf queen, which is actually finished, but I've never gotten around to making a base for it. My 1/48th Sherman is 99% finished. I've just got to beat the link and length tracks into submission.

John.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've done some more work to this, mainly some detail painting, plus I've added a couple of figures, an aerial and that all important bucket! I'm not going to add any more photos to this thread, as I will only be duplicating what I'm going to put in RFI. So without further ado, that's where this will be in the next hour or so. Thanks for watching.

John.