1/72 Airfix Wellington MK 1c

Calum

This will be the beginning of my WW II Bomber Collection. I usually build 48 scale but 48 scale bombers are just to unwieldy for me

It's been a long time since I built 72 scale but this kit is quite detailed for the scale. I chose to use all the bits despite the fact that many won't be seen as a felt like some painting practice.  I will be doing the aircraft flown by Kiwi VC recipient  James Ward. AS an aside I lived in Ward Block, which was named after him,  when I was posted to RNZAF Wigram 

A few hours work and we have some sub assemblies. Most things went together well but the engine nacelles took a bit pressure to get lined up. Thankfully Tamiya Fast setting extra thin and the Airfix Plastic bond fast and well

Wellington-01.jpg

All the details painted using Vallejo Acrylics, the base coat is Tamiya AS 12. I followed the colour call outs in the instructions. Other builds I've looked at have different colours for the airframe inside structure including black, interior green. The wash is AK dark grime and the instrument panel is decal. I used some strips of painted Tamiya tape for seat belts

Wellington-02.jpg

The blue is vinyl cut out on my cutter to cover up some sink marks in the bomb bay from a file I got online. I also tried the vinyl to replace the circle I lost when getting rid of the fuselage seams. This didn't work as well as I'd hoped so I removed the bits from the bomb bay and used a chisel to remove the sink marks. I used the cutter to cut a new circle from 0.005 " thou card to restore the circle detail .

Wellington-03.jpg

The worst bit of this kit are the fuselage inserts for the waist gun positions that are not used on this variant. They don't fit well with large gaps. As the fuselage in this area is fabric you have to restore the fabric detail .

Wellington-04.jpg

Wellington-05.jpg

That's all for now

Edited by Calum
  • Like 19

Awesome start Calum, the Wimpy is an all time legend. Learned about the RNZAF VC winners when I was in uniform (R2.03) which peaked my interest more. Airfix released their 2020 catalogue and are producing a Mk.I Beaufort, though that's more Coastal Command vs Bomber command.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tempestwulf said:

Awesome start Calum, the Wimpy is an all time legend. Learned about the RNZAF VC winners when I was in uniform (R2.03) which peaked my interest more. Airfix released their 2020 catalogue and are producing a Mk.I Beaufort, though that's more Coastal Command vs Bomber command.

I would love to build Trent's Ventura and Trigg's Liberator eventually 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This looks a very interesting kit Sir,but your white background almost had one reaching for one's sunglasses.

So this a new Airfix offering of their venerable old kit that one built a long,long,long time ago?or is it as one suspects,a completely new kit?

21 hours ago, Calum said:

I would love to build Trent's Ventura and Trigg's Liberator eventually 

Eduard's Liberator (link below) had LLoyd Trents Lib markings in a recent release. I'm hoping lord Airfix will make a Ventura some day so we can do Trents plane as don't care for the old Minicraft one

https://modelweb.modelforum.cz/2018/04/06/172-riders-in-the-sky-1944-eduard/

And a contributor made a skin on War Thunder for his Lib too, though the in game modem is just a B-24D

https://live.warthunder.com/post/481943/en/?comment=1939082

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 9:08 PM, Calum said:

I will be doing the aircraft flown by Kiwi VC recipient  James Ward.

Really Cool Callum, my favourite Wellington Mk Ic Aircraft, looking forward to

how your model turns out (on my list to do one day) :thumbsup:

42 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Is this going to be a desert Wellington?

75 Squadron Wellington's Greg, from RAF Feltwell in Norfolk

Jimmy Ward 75 Squadron

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

On 1/9/2020 at 6:21 AM, DaveWilko said:

This looks a very interesting kit Sir,but your white background almost had one reaching for one's sunglasses.

So this a new Airfix offering of their venerable old kit that one built a long,long,long time ago?or is it as one suspects,a completely new kit?

This is the new tool from 2017/18 

3 hours ago, Mick Drover said:

Sweet work Col. Love the Wimpy.

I'm keen to do the coastal command version at some time.

Mitch ;)

I like the Coastal Command Schemes as well Mitch. I think I'll do Trigg's Liberator in 72 Scale one day

• Thanks 1

More Progress on the Wellington.

I first experimented with some dark earth options I ended up going with a Tamiya Mix suggested by Spencer Pollard (and a few others online) , it is considerably lighter than the other options I had. Those being Mr Color, SMS and Tamiya AS22.

FYI - SMS =  Scale Modellers Supply and are an Australian paint manufacturer who do a large range of Lacquers aimed a the modeller, they started of with car colours but have expanded into armour and aircraft. . I quite like their gloss and flat coats. Some of their other colours are interesting as well.

IMG-9984-edit.jpg

I think the lighter shade looks good in this smaller scale, I applied some mottles with various stencils.

Wellington-06.jpg

Next I up-scaled the instructions, printed them on self adhesive label paper, printed them and cut them out then stuck them to the model and painted the Dark green.

I used SMS green ( they mark it as FS34097 although the FS paint standard is post war) from their RAF bomber set. This looked a little to green straight from the bottle so I added about 1 ml of black (they had a camo black bottle in the same set) I liked the look of this so on it went.

Wellington-07.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 11

I'd love to build this one day too as I went to the Whanganui high school Ward taught at before he went to war...albeit a bit later! The hall there is named for him and there is a memorial display featuring replica medals and a diorama of the action featuring old-school Airfix kits.

• Like 1

Paints Finished.  I used Gaianotes German grey for the underside (black). The nacelles were temporarily attached using masking frisket so I could do the painting 

Wellington-08.jpg

Wellington-09.jpg

Wellington-10.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 7

Decals are on. They went down with absolutely no issues. I sprayed a light gloss coat (more semi gloss really) of Mr Color Super clear. Another bonus was that were very few decals to apply.

Wellington-11.jpg

Wellington-12.jpg

• Like 17

• 4 weeks later...