The Pendle Princess

I’m pleased to report that I’ve called “complete” on the Pendle Princess after more than twelve months. And I’m pleased with her, I’m a bit older and hopefully a bit wiser. I’ve learnt quite a bit, and I’ve certainly sworn more than I’ve learnt ....

I’ve mounted the model on a temporary base until I decide what to do with it. All comments happily received, good, bad or indifferent, we only learn by having our errors pointed out. Thanks to those who’ve followed along, encouraged and helped. And especial thanks to my good friend Dale, who donated the kit to me in the first place and started this journey off.

I’ve got another older Bandai kit, the 1/16 scale Mercer Raceabout, that’s craving attention, but I think that I’ll be going over to the dark side for my next build. I’ve got a 1/48 Tamiya Fairey Swordfish Mk I that I picked up at a swap meet a while ago that I’m going to have a go at.

49342768438_fcaa4fd40b_b.jpg

49343442052_22dc60a674_b.jpg

49343220621_efbf22eb01_b.jpg

49343220501_c3bd99c2cd_b.jpg

49343220616_1e731627a9_b.jpg

49343220696_fa833380d7_b.jpg

49343220746_f21e675132_b.jpg

49343441962_85b00338df_b.jpg

49343220596_dd8d7e703a_b.jpg

49343220666_4c85fb9b14_b.jpg

• Like 28

3 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Oh, be still my heart! :wub:

That's truly excellent work. 

Thanks @dnl42, that not the response that I expected .... but I’ll take it 😎

3 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Bravo Ian, all the work you've put into this one definitely paid off! It's beautiful.

Thanks @JeroenS, I appreciate your comment, both now and through the build.

Hi Ian,

That is a thing of beauty! I certainly will be using your build thread as reference when I finally come to build mine.

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

Brilliant and a great satisfaction for you to enjoy.

By all means, make a bespoke case for it, preferably from glass. And until you do, keep it covered with a gentile microfiber cloth. NOT plastic bag of any type.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Codger said:

Brilliant and a great satisfaction for you to enjoy.

By all means, make a bespoke case for it, preferably from glass. And until you do, keep it covered with a gentile microfiber cloth. NOT plastic bag of any type.

Thanks for the advice @Codger, I wouldn’t try to use a plastic bag, the model is quite fragile, but what damage would plastic do?? Sorry to sound dumb, but this is what’s so good about this forum, so much knowledge and help.

Thanks to everybody for your kind words and comments, it is appreciated.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ian T said:

Thanks for the advice @Codger, I wouldn’t try to use a plastic bag, the model is quite fragile, but what damage would plastic do?? Sorry to sound dumb, but this is what’s so good about this forum, so much knowledge and help.

Thanks to everybody for your kind words and comments, it is appreciated.

Traps moisture my friend. Can stick to certain enamels or other paints.

Ask me how I know....:banghead:

• Sad 1

The plastic bag tip is definitely one I'll bear in mind if I ever have to move my models.

As for the Princess, it looks like a fantastic result. Been keeping an eye on this as it's progressed (even if I didn't really comment much on it), and it's great to see it come to fruition and end up looking so good. I bet you're a) relieved, and b) proud now it's done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

The plastic bag tip is definitely one I'll bear in mind if I ever have to move my models.

As for the Princess, it looks like a fantastic result. Been keeping an eye on this as it's progressed (even if I didn't really comment much on it), and it's great to see it come to fruition and end up looking so good. I bet you're a) relieved, and b) proud now it's done.

Thanks @Spiny, a) yes b) yes !!

I’m relieved because the model has become incredibly fragile as it’s gotten bigger. I kept knocking bits and even broke one while I was doing something else. I knocked off several of the light globes while fitting the roof.

Yes I’m very pleased now it’s complete, as usual, I know where the mistakes are, but that doesn’t detract from a sense of achievement.

• Like 1

That's a true beauty, well done :)

I looked at one of these years ago then discounted it as I know I haven't got the patience that you have shown in building it

Ian :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redstaff said:

That's a true beauty, well done :)

I looked at one of these years ago then discounted it as I know I haven't got the patience that you have shown in building it

Ian :) 

Thanks @Redstaff, if you don’t have patience at the start, you will by the time you’ve finished!!

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 12:07 AM, Ian T said:

I’ve learnt quite a bit, and I’ve certainly sworn more than I’ve learnt

SO true!  Reminds me of a plaque I saw in a carpenter's shop, "Measure once, cuss twice!"  Norm Abrams, a master carpenter, always builds a prototype of a piece before a the final.  Because I learn so much about a build I'm wondering if I should buy two kits?  Or would that just be twice as much profanity?   

Beautiful work!

JCH

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JCH said:

SO true!  Reminds me of a plaque I saw in a carpenter's shop, "Measure once, cuss twice!"  Norm Abrams, a master carpenter, always builds a prototype of a piece before a the final.  Because I learn so much about a build I'm wondering if I should buy two kits?  Or would that just be twice as much profanity?   

Beautiful work!

JCH

Just buy the road roller as well. I think the main structure is the same

Of course then you will have the problem of which one to do first!!

• Like 1

The road roller is basically the same kit with a different front wheel and roof (and plastic colour). However, most Garrett Steam Rollers didn't have belly tanks, so you'd most likely need to modify that. I didn't when I built mine a few years back so its not the end of the weold.

1774729_7cdbf794.jpg

• Like 1

Bee-euatiful!

Putting it in a case would be a very good idea. Glass is heavy; I've got a large "Bounty" - 30" long x 24" high x 13" wide in a case using 3mm acrylic sheet, what used to be called Perspex. Much lighter, easier to handle while constructing and after.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MR2Don said:

Bee-euatiful!

Putting it in a case would be a very good idea. Glass is heavy; I've got a large "Bounty" - 30" long x 24" high x 13" wide in a case using 3mm acrylic sheet, what used to be called Perspex. Much lighter, easier to handle while constructing and after.

Thanks @MR2Don, is your “Bounty” plastic or wood? I’ve built a wooden schooner previously and have an “Endeavour” on the go (well it would be if the plastic wouldn’t keep getting in the way).

Here is a link to my schooner if your interested, love to see a picture of the “Bounty”.