Bristol Beaufort references

72modeler

On 10/01/2020 at 05:41, NAVY870 said:

Ah yes, the serial offending Mr Brendan Scott

Told yes he can take photo's of our aeroplanes but they are for personal use only and not to be published.

I believe he may have not been truthful when he agreed to the terms.

Dont you just hate people like that. They ruin it for the next person to ask :angry:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Julien said:

Hi,

can we please not scan in books, and make sure any photos posted to this thread are in the public domain, or you have permision.

Thx

Julien

So, should we all go back through all our posts and check and delete all the images that have been scanned from books and magazines?

Chris

• Like 1

Nice to hear of a new Beaufort kit. Once I have finished my versions of the 240 sqn Catalina and 42 Sqn Shackleton MR2, my Dad flew in. I would like to do Flt Lt Kenneth Terry’s 42 sqn Beaufort. He was awarded his DFC flying from Leuchars in 1941 and his niece was a client of my wife’s gardening business so there is another personal connection.

Next? How about a Lincoln so I can do Q Queenie of 61/144(b) squadron? 😂😂

Edited by Doodeychuck
Typo
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Carl V said:

Thanks to canberra kid for these great pictures.

I am particularly intrigued by the third, which is the first I have seen with the DF aerial deployed.  It has relevance to my work because the British Air Ministry strongly recommended that this be adopted by the RCAF for the Bolingbroke and there was a good deal of pro and con argument.  The Canadians preferred the loop aerial in a football shaped housing which was adopted for all the Bolingbroke IV models except for the IV T where, presumably, DF was deemed redundant.  One of the reasons given was that the Air Ministry pattern would be highly susceptible to icing.

Would I be able to get a copy of this photo for use when/if my book is published?

Does anyone know if this type aerial was used on anything but the Beaufort?

Carl, another DF areal, this time amore traditional type in a transparent housing.

sAsdJq.jpg

John

• Like 5

And I just wonder, Mr Navy870, why would you ask for any restriction on the photos?

Are you planning a publication based on that cut-off cockpit?

And what about 100+ pix, I took in that old, dusty shed in Narellan in the 80's? 😉

Just wonder! Cheers!

Z

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Airborne flamethrower... How was it supposed to work ? 

It doesn't seem to be a flame projector in the way troop & tank mounted units are but rather it appeared to dump a swath of napalm like flaming liquid across the scenery.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

A photo of DAP Beaufort A9-557 when it crashed on 3 jeeps.  This aircraft is now in the Australian War memorial Museum storage awaiting a new building to display it.  spacer.png

Two photos of the repair of the belly (aft torpedo bay) of A9-557 in 2002 by myself & a friend.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by raafif
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

Now the ICM 1:48 beaufort kit is out

I thought time to do some more research

Anyone have info on the colours of the presumably dummy torpedo that would be used by 32OTU during the training they did at Pat Bay canada

cheers

jerry

10 minutes ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi All,

Now the ICM 1:48 beaufort kit is out

I thought time to do some more research

Anyone have info on the colours of the presumably dummy torpedo that would be used by 32OTU during the training they did at Pat Bay canada

cheers

jerry

@dogsbody may have an idea, if not he may know who to reach out too.

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@dogsbody may have an idea, if not he may know who to reach out too.

Other than Royal Navy torpedos, I have never come upon any discription of RAF aerial torpedo colour. I'm going to guess that the main body was a dark steel colour with the warhead maybe painted black. Training warheads were either red or yellow. I've seen some B&W photos that show a light coloured warhead. If you go back to Page 2 of this post and look at the Carl Vincent photos I had posted, you will see one of a Beaufort dropping a torpedo, notice that there isn't a fuse on the nose, just a ring that would be used to tie the torpedo onto the loading trolley.

If this is concerning the new ICM 1/48 Beaufort, ICM is or already has released a 1/48 torpedo and loading trolley. A colour guide is provided.

Chris

• Like 2

On 9/18/2022 at 8:35 AM, dogsbody said:

If this is concerning the new ICM 1/48 Beaufort, ICM is or already has released a 1/48 torpedo and loading trolley. A colour guide is provided.

Chris

Hi

thanks, yep i have an icm 1:48 beaufort in the post coming to me now

checked the icm torpedo/trolley guide as suggested

and it gives red as the nose colour

cheers

jerry 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All 

another general beaufort question

does anyone know the appx date the nose guns were first fitted to aircraft in the UK or Med ? 

cheers

jerry 

• 1 year later...
On 1/11/2020 at 3:20 AM, dogsbody said:

49358761977_2bc7083a27_b.jpg

On 1/14/2020 at 2:30 AM, Graham Boak said:

Post 26 picture 3:  I think this is the rarely shown 2000lb SAP bomb

Would the doors for the narrower front section of the bomb bay have remained open, or were they closed, when carrying this bomb?

I note there's a little bit of clearance between the bomb nose, and the front section of the bay - if the diagram below is accurate.

beaufort-bomb-loads-jpg.286899

Also, does anyone know if there are any other pictures of Beauforts carrying this bomb - and which non-British Beaufort users are likely to have had this bomb?

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1

Hi

not much help but from the photo date, 

i think shows OP-K, L9967 of 32 otu patricia bay canada

maybe as it is an OTU the bomb is a dummy ? but maybe this is what is in the next  1:48 icm kit the beaufort bomber ? 

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 1

While it was a OTU, it was a British RAF OTU, not RCAF. I believe the bombs and torpedoes were supplied by the British and would be used in case on an enemy attack on the west coast.

The bomb wouldn't be visible when in the bomb-bay, as the doors would probably be fully closed.

Chris

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi 

i found a photo of raaf beaufort with 2000 lb bomb

cheers

jerry

spacer.png

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/016218

That looks like a regular USAAF 2000 pounder, not the British armour-piercing bomb that's in the Carl Vincent photo I originally posted.

Chris

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

The bomb wouldn't be visible when in the bomb-bay, as the doors would probably be fully closed.

I note that, in the ‘alternative bomb loads’ diagram above, the bomb seems to use a similar - if not identical - carrier (or rack, if one prefers) and crutch arrangement to that used to carry torpedoes. It also shows the bomb protruding outside the bomb bay interior.

I presume, therefore, that the 2000 lb bomb would have required portions of the central and rear (and possibly front) sections of the bomb bay doors to remain open.

Thoughts?

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1