1/48 - Hawker Tempest Mk.II by Eduard & Special Hobby - released

Homebee

Eduard is to release from late 2020 or early 2021 1/48th Hawker Tempest Mk.II kits

Source: https://www.eduard.com/out/media/InfoEduard/archive/2020/info-eduard-2020-01.pdf

(...) For the moment, we have the Tempest Mk.II in 1:48th in the development stage, as is the case with a new effort surrounding the Sopwith Camel. I won’t rule out releasing one of these this year still, but thinking realistically, I might place these through the first half of next year instead. (...)

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I will be in for a couple of these as well.  I know that they have engaged with the "Typhoon & Tempest Guru" who has assisted them so ably on their early Typhoon and Tempest V releases for this and the future Tempest VI release, so expect good accuracy, detail and a good choice of c&m options, and maybe a special edition boxing with another good reference book included.  The long wait now begins.

• Like 2

When Hasegawa brought out their 1/48 Hurricanes and Typhoons in the late 1990s I hoped they'd continue the line with Tempests and a Sea Fury. It never happened but I don't mind any more. Now we have the lovely Eduard Tempest V soon be be followed by this new II, and a VI is easily achieveable with a bit of creativity.  Plus Airfix has done a good job on a new Sea Fury, 2007 gave us a very decent Trumpeter Sea Hawk, last year brought the AMG Hart and a new Hunter from Airfix too.  So soon my complete line-up showing all the evolutionary steps from Hart and Demon to Harrier in 1/48 will be ready to move into production

• Like 4

They could, but I would not hold your breath as they have plenty of other priorities ahead of it where they won't be head-to-head with a good modern kit from a biggish player, as they will with the Sea Fury.

If they do go for it. it is unlikely to happen in the next couple of years as they seem likely to first produce more urgently-needed things in 1/48, including Wildcats (where the Tamiya  F4F-4 is okay but all the other versions are either obsolete or very wrong), and the P-36 family (which has not been done to modern standards in 1/48 - the last being the 1992 family from Hobbycraft which then went into Academy boxes but is no more up-to-date than the Hobbycraft Sea Fury or Hurricane or 109 family).

38 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

the P-36 family (which has not been done to modern standards in 1/48 - the last being the 1992 family from Hobbycraft which then went into Academy boxes but is no more up-to-date than the Hobbycraft Sea Fury or Hurricane or 109 family).

I would be totally on board with this. So many mainstream and exotic boxing opportunities! But that's wishlist territory so I'll say no more.

• 2 months later...

Sources:

https://www.facebook.com/EduardCompany/posts/3363778916970365

https://www.facebook.com/pg/EduardCompany/photos/?tab=album&album_id=3363778780303712&ref=page_internal

Tempest Mk.II project follows the prrevious Tempest release, Mk.V. There is new fuselage and wing, and some small parts. Most small parts are shared with Mk.V kit.
We are going to release two kit versions, F Mk.2 and FB Mk.2.

Some design details were changes, for example the separation of the wing halves. The connection between top and bottom halves is moved to the trailing edge of the wing and it is expected, that the separation line will be much finer now thanks to advanced molding technology.

Next major significant change is seen on the control surfaces. The ailerons as well as the horrizontal rudder are now splited to two parts, to protect the parts against the sink marks known from the Mk.V kits.

Tempest Mk.2 is prepared in cooperation with Special Hobby. Therefore the kit will be released first in SH boxing, in their Hi Tech line. We will follow them some three months latter with two Profipack boxings, Tempest FB Mk.2 first and then Tempest F Mk.2

91630437-3363779063637017-33557152647033

91654448-3363778926970364-19128503018790

92350858-3363779016970355-23701489174267

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...I HOPE Eduard keeps the Mk II coming!  I've already completed a Mk. V Series 2, have another Mk. V Series 2 kit, and Mk. V Series 1, both in their individual boxes, AND a Mk. V Royal Class kit (both Series 1 and 2 in the same box).  So, I've got 2 each of the Mk. V Series 1 and Series 2, one each in their own box, then one more each in the Royal Class boxing,  PLUS the Mk. V Series 2 that I finished not too long ago.  I LOVED the kit, and the plane!!!  I don't know as much about the Mk. 2 airplane, but I love the look of the radial engine on the front of what looks to be, in essence, a Mk. V airframe. just with the radial engine on the front.  I'm certain that Eduard will make a close to perfect Mk. 2, and I WILL be first in line 😊 for the new kit, if/when they come out!!  The Tempest Mk. V, Series 2 was a fabulous build, no problems at all!  I want to build more variations thereof!

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Hawker Tempest Mk.II by Eduard & Special Hobby - 3D renders - release July 2021 ?

This kit will be also produced in cooperation with Special Hobby

- ref. SH48214 - Hawker Tempest Mk.II "High Tech"

Source: https://www.specialhobby.info/2021/01/news-from-special-hobby-012021.html

(...) Just before being finished is yet another project which originates in our cooperation with Eduard. After the exquisite Bf 109 E-4, the Bf 109 E-3 version is going to hit the market this February, after that we are going to jointly produce the Tempest Mk.II in 1/48 scale. Our boxing will offer the so-called Hi-Tech style with resin detail parts including a partial replica of the engine with some of the cover panels open. The fire which struck Eduard company only made our collaboration deeper. We were more than happy to offer them the free capacity of our injection machines, to help them recover from the loss of their sprues stock. It also means the Tempest Mk.II kit will most likely be produced using our injection machines. And more joint projects will follow, too.  (...)

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

A decent 1/48th Tempest II is my dream kit (apart from a Vought RF-8G Crusader of course) and I would be up for two of these at least. Eduard did release the Tempest V in a 'Royal' boxing complete with a reference book, would this still be the case with the Tempest II? I was intending to wait for the 'Royal' however am now not sure whether the kit being produced by Special Hobby changes that?

Michael

1 hour ago, Ghostbase said:

A decent 1/48th Tempest II is my dream kit (apart from a Vought RF-8G Crusader of course) and I would be up for two of these at least. Eduard did release the Tempest V in a 'Royal' boxing complete with a reference book, would this still be the case with the Tempest II? I was intending to wait for the 'Royal' however am now not sure whether the kit being produced by Special Hobby changes that?

Michael

Eduard in keeping with their other recent major releases have in mind a Limited Edition version loaded up with masks, Brassin, photo etch and a tasty choice of C&M schemes with a reference book.  Timing from the whipsers I am hearing may be around Telford or Christmas 2021 (usual caveat plans and timing may change based on how initial Profi Pack version sales in July 2021 go and the Covid situation between now and then.)  Special Hobby have their own plans for their releases in terms of basic versions through to versions with extras.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ColFord said:

Eduard in keeping with their other recent major releases have in mind a Limited Edition version loaded up with masks, Brassin, photo etch and a tasty choice of C&M schemes with a reference book.  Timing from the whipsers I am hearing may be around Telford or Christmas 2021 (usual caveat plans and timing may change based on how initial Profi Pack version sales in July 2021 go and the Covid situation between now and then.)  Special Hobby have their own plans for their releases in terms of basic versions through to versions with extras.

Thanks, that is helpful 👍 Will be interesting to see how this works out, am not used to this partnership with Special Hobby. I have the Special Hobby 1/32nd Tempest II and can only say that it is a very impressive kit! Have been far too chicken to start it!

Michael