1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia/IIa/IIb/Vb/Vc released

Homebee

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Goodness me, is that a 453 Squadron subject third from the bottom? Looks like I'll be spending more money. 

Ray 

Yes, Yarra’s Spitfire. There is some speculation around the patch under his art beneath the windscreen; Eduard show it as the camouflage grey. Sadly he was shot down and killed in this plane having flown previously over Malta. Quite a character by all accounts.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

the instructions for the next Spitfire Duel Combo 'The Sweeps' are up on the Eduard website.

The boxing includes three fuselage sprues (two externally armoured windscreen, and one internally armoured). The two wing sprues are one early (sprue L), and one late (sprue L/M).

looking at the marking options, this limits the choice of builds to an early Vb (option A or B), and just one of the other eight choices.

Shame there isn't another late wing included.

On 10/28/2021 at 9:30 PM, Tea Taster said:

the instructions for the next Spitfire Duel Combo 'The Sweeps' are up on the Eduard website.

The boxing includes three fuselage sprues (two externally armoured windscreen, and one internally armoured). The two wing sprues are one early (sprue L), and one late (sprue L/M).

looking at the marking options, this limits the choice of builds to an early Vb (option A or B), and just one of the other eight choices.

Eduard have an annoying habit of doing that, in such circumstances I really don't understand why they don't offer a similar number of marking options for each of the 2 aircraft.

Their 1/72 MiG 21 Royal Class boxing was similar. Two wing/fuselage sprues, each for a slightly different variant, and 12 marking options. 

For aircraft built from the first sprue there are only 2 marking options, aircraft built from second sprue have 9 options. The final option required the fuselage from one sprue and the wings from the other, leaving you with a full aircraft's worth of parts which were only good for the spares box.

Edited by -Ian-

4 hours ago, -Ian- said:

Eduard have an annoying habit of doing that, in such circumstances I really don't understand why they don't offer a similar number of marking options for each of the 2 aircraft.

Their 1/72 MiG 21 Royal Class boxing was similar. Two wing/fuselage sprues, each for a slightly different variant, and 12 marking options.

A conundrum which is probably fixable by purchasing overtrees. Huh. Guess they aren't stupid :P

• Like 1

22 hours ago, alt-92 said:

A conundrum which is probably fixable by purchasing overtrees. Huh. Guess they aren't stupid :P

Very true !

Overkill for just for just the lower wing, then again, I could use the cockpit side wall and EDP undercarriage selector for my late Mk.1 Spits

• 1 month later...

If you take the spare fuselage from Eagles Call  & add it to the spare E wing I have left over from my Royal Class IX then add in a resin Griffon engine (which negates any cowling issues) and a spare 5 bladed prop from the spares box you get an Eduard XIVe high back…

…this could get out of hand.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, At Sea said:

If you take the spare fuselage from Eagles Call  & add it to the spare E wing I have left over from my Royal Class IX then add in a resin Griffon engine (which negates any cowling issues) and a spare 5 bladed prop from the spares box you get an Eduard XIVe high back…

…this could get out of hand.

Didn’t the XIV have deeper radiators?

6 minutes ago, Peter Roberts said:

Didn’t the XIV have deeper radiators?

Yes.  Good point, but given the construction of the Eduard radiators it could be simple to ‘deepen’ them.

No! Stop it!

by the time I have got all the bits sorted out and started to do the conversion an Eduard Griffon kit will be out!

Given a Mk.XII is just a fuselage, prop & exhausts away from a V.

And a lot of the IX could be recycled into the XVI, the fuselage sprue could incorporate the new rad parts, it’s only a matter of time.

Add to that a D wing sprue incorporating deeper oil tank & a new transparency moulding allows a XI or an XIX from the IX or XIV kits it’s too obvious a progression.

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2021 at 7:48 PM, At Sea said:

by the time I have got all the bits sorted out and started to do the conversion an Eduard Griffon kit will be out!

Well volunteered. High-back Mk XIV fans of the world thank you for your sacrifice...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia/IIa/IIb/Vb/Vc released - new boxing
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Thomas V. said:

Expected separate MTO box, separate Malta box, and separate Australian box, and again too close to latest " The Sweeps" release in my view.

They are going a bit crazy with limited edition boxing's and the only difference is the decals, which quiet a few people don't seem that keen on with the new type. Anyway I guess it's working for Eduard otherwise they wouldn't keep doing it. 

5 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

They are going a bit crazy with limited edition boxing's and the only different is the decals, which quiet a few people don't seem that keen on with the new type. Anyway I guess it's working for Eduard otherwise they wouldn't keep doing it. 

Hasegawa did it for a couple of decades.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Hasegawa did it for a couple of decades.

Did they? The amount of boxing's Hasegawa do is quite a lot and I thought the limited editions were quite small in comparison, but maybe that's just memory failing me.

22 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Did they? The amount of boxing's Hasegawa do is quite a lot and I thought the limited editions were quite small in comparison, but maybe that's just memory failing me.

If you have a look at the listings for the P-51 and P-47 you'll see quite a few ltd editions.

http://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48b.htm 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Quite right, Eduard once ( until Czech MiG 15 Dual Combo in 2013) released 1500 kits as Limited Editions, later the numbers went to 3500 per catalogue number for kits of Eduard provenance, which in 2021 is not in any way " Limited Edition", Hasegawa 1/48 in limited edition rarely went over 2500.

Regarding mentioned " Southern Star" boxing, truely odd that after going so much into Spitfire detail and history( Mk.II D.C) three major theatres/battles of war are covered by 1 boxing, truely, truely odd.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 1:30 PM, Tea Taster said:

Maybe they'll offer up the sprues to complete another late wing Spitfire? Can't hurt to ask them.

IIRC The Operation Bodenplatte only allowed one B-109G-14. You either built the G-14 or the G-14/AS. Both types of fuselages are included in the box, but only one wing and cockpit parts.

Eduard then offered up Overtrees Bf-109G-14/AS "small parts", so you could build that extra G-14.

82169x_z1.jpg

4 hours ago, Calum said:

Yeah without a Kiwi option titling the box Southern Star makes no sense to me 

Think the aircraft theatre and not the pilot - south of Europe. I note sellers are typically advertising with the same words for pre-order that being "From the kit you can build Spitfires fighting over North Africa, the Mediterranean and the Pacific". Sounds like a good mix with some interesting marking options. Probably a good one for the modeller who would like to pick up some varied marking options for a Vb and Vc and build from the same box, and the Gleed markings are cool. 

Eduard has moved to controlling most things in-house. I suppose they know their cost and the profitability of swapping out their own decal sheet, changing a couple of marking pages in the instruction booking and creating and printing some box-art. Where the packaging is done I do not know. In-house? Another element they could easily control.

A further point is I am sure they understand how many will be bought and end up in the stash.

Bottom line - Keep up your enthusiasm Eduard. 

Still huge opportunity for Aussie V's and probably been discussed at Eduard. Maybe planned. Mind you I have the nice DK decals sheet that I have used and unlikely to be tempted unless of course anther Peter Malone book was included or a very interesting subject included. Then the cash would instantly jump from my pocket. 

As an aside, and excuse my ignorance, did the Kiwi's fly the Mk V in the Pacific? I know they did the P-40 and F4U. 485 Squadron would provide some ETO options. I do not want to send this off topic. Just a quick reply if you know.

Ray