1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia/IIa/IIb/Vb/Vc released

Homebee

On 8/26/2021 at 4:54 PM, Tbolt said:

Well at least the PR.XI is still a might. After it was mentioned in 2015 that they my yet do a PR.XI and nothing since, I thought maybe they had abandoned it.

I think that's just their way of politely saying 'what have you been smoking' . Happy to be proven wrong this decennium though. 

9 hours ago, alt-92 said:

I think that's just their way of politely saying 'what have you been smoking' . Happy to be proven wrong this decennium though. 

Only they know what they actually think, but they did say the Mk.XI is high on a lot of peoples wish lists, so they realise there is a market, but Eduard obviously love to bring out lots of boxings with different markings and with the XI not have much of a selection may not suit them. However a dual limited edition PR boxing with a Mk.IV and Mk.XI would be fantastic, assuming the wing fit is the same on the Mk.I and IX.

A PR.IV would largely be a reworked Mk.V (that is what they were based on anyway) with D wing, fuel pump and camera bits, observation blisters on the hood and a slightly more bulged cowling part under the nose.

As far as XI's go, there's plenty of marking options albeit mostly PRU Blue :D Reverse Lend-Lease US units like 7PRG, for instance. And of course they'd miss a trick by not including the NHS markings (licensing permitting).

• Like 2

Some interesting Mk IV’s (seven in total I believe) in PRU blue with Russian stars and over painted RAF markings, used on two missions based in Vaenga to photograph Tirpitz, then left behind for Russian use.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, alt-92 said:

A PR.IV would largely be a reworked Mk.V (that is what they were based on anyway) with D wing, fuel pump and camera bits, observation blisters on the hood and a slightly more bulged cowling part under the nose.

As far as XI's go, there's plenty of marking options albeit mostly PRU Blue :D Reverse Lend-Lease US units like 7PRG, for instance. And of course they'd miss a trick by not including the NHS markings (licensing permitting).

That's what I meant when I said markings is the lack of variation in colour. Where quite a number of modellers would buy multiples of Eduard other kits that probably won't happen much with a Mk.XI, but I still think it would sell fairly well as it's still a Spitfire.

Has anyone tried a Eduard Mk IX wing on the Mk.I, is it a perfect fit?

On 8/28/2021 at 8:17 PM, Ray_W said:

This is from my Eagle's Call boxing.

Eduard Eagles Call Boxing Wing RW

Ray

Odd, I just checked my box and I only have one of each. One of the reasons I bought this boxing was the three fuselages and flexibility it gave me. I’m going to send Eduard an email in regards to this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scooby said:

I just checked my box and I only have one of each.

That's a shame. It does appear as two in the packaging. 

Eduard Eagles Call Boxing Fuselage

On 30/08/2021 at 06:12, Tbolt said:

Has anyone tried a Eduard Mk IX wing on the Mk.I, is it a perfect fit?

From the comments, are you enquiring about PR varaitions?    The bowser or 'D' wing is a very different thing to a IX [C or E] wing.    Bear in mind that the Vc, has C wing,  and the IX was based on the Vc,  the only real difference is the radiator change.  (apologies if stating the blinkin' obvious) 

The only mainstream 1/48th kit with the bowser wing is the Airfix PR XIX.   

You can convert a gun wing to bowser wing,  but that's going to wipe out the fine Eduard detail, and the bowser wing usually has some added bulges for fuel pumps.      

Interesting that Eagle's Call has a spare fuselage,  as that means a spare early Merlin nose to graft onto a XIX kit which gets you a long way to a PR.IV, as you have the bowser wing, camera ports etc,  really then a question of details,  radiators and air carb intake,  non pressurised cockpit, cutting back the fin, earlier type rudder and ailerons,  fixed tailwheel.  

Not sure about UC leg rake on the various bowser wings though,  as the bowser wing predates the C wing IIRC, I presume it has the A/B rake,  though might well have been modified later, as the leg angle change was from a wedge on the UC pinion. 

I'll @gingerbob as I'm doing this from memory....

• Like 1

I think that the gear angle change on the PR wing came with the 2-stage generation, but I'm not very certain of it.

Also not sure why the question, now that there's a Vc kit, but perhaps I just haven't thought about it enough!

bob

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

From the comments, are you enquiring about PR varaitions?    The bowser or 'D' wing is a very different thing to a IX [C or E] wing.    Bear in mind that the Vc, has C wing,  and the IX was based on the Vc,  the only real difference is the radiator change.  (apologies if stating the blinkin' obvious) 

The only mainstream 1/48th kit with the bowser wing is the Airfix PR XIX.   

You can convert a gun wing to bowser wing,  but that's going to wipe out the fine Eduard detail, and the bowser wing usually has some added bulges for fuel pumps.      

Interesting that Eagle's Call has a spare fuselage,  as that means a spare early Merlin nose to graft onto a XIX kit which gets you a long way to a PR.IV, as you have the bowser wing, camera ports etc,  really then a question of details,  radiators and air carb intake,  non pressurised cockpit, cutting back the fin, earlier type rudder and ailerons,  fixed tailwheel.  

Not sure about UC leg rake on the various bowser wings though,  as the bowser wing predates the C wing IIRC, I presume it has the A/B rake,  though might well have been modified later, as the leg angle change was from a wedge on the UC pinion. 

I'll @gingerbob as I'm doing this from memory....

Yes but why I asked is because the PR.IV and PR.IX used the same D wing, so if the Eduard Mk.I series and Mk.IX series kits have the exact same wing fit then they could produce a IV and XI using the same wing mold.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I think that the gear angle change on the PR wing came with the 2-stage generation, but I'm not very certain of it.

Also not sure why the question, now that there's a Vc kit, but perhaps I just haven't thought about it enough!

bob

If you are referring to my point, I'm not sure what you mean now there's a Vc kit? Like I said I was just thinking if Eduard are doing a PR.IV that the wing could be used on the Mk.IX fuselage if the fit was the same. Eduard could box it with camera fairing inserts to modify the MK.IX fuselage but if they didn't I'm sure a AM set would turn up. Of course a Mk.XI dedicated fuselage from Eduard would be the best thing if they would go to that expense.

3 hours ago, Tbolt said:

If you are referring to my point, I'm not sure what you mean now there's a Vc kit? Like I said I was just thinking if Eduard are doing a PR.IV that the wing could be used on the Mk.IX fuselage if the fit was the same. Eduard could box it with camera fairing inserts to modify the MK.IX fuselage but if they didn't I'm sure a AM set would turn up. Of course a Mk.XI dedicated fuselage from Eduard would be the best thing if they would go to that expense.

I'm almost certain that if we keep on saying it enough then it will happen. Just like London buses, after a long long wait two will obviously come along simultaneously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, viscount806x said:

I'm almost certain that if we keep on saying it enough then it will happen. Just like London buses, after a long long wait two will obviously come along simultaneously.

Probably just after we've done two or three conversions from either a VIII or IX using the Quickboost Camera'sPigeon Chest cowling, one-piece curved windshield, wing rescribing and scratchbuilding. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scooby said:

Now you have me confused, did you get two or three fuselages?

Three, but it does look like two as it is tightly packed.

• Like 1

@Scooby Apologies I should add a little more to the story. When you mentioned you had only received two fuselages, I thought I'll check my kit. At first glance it appeared there were only two as the third was inside one of the others. Once I broke it out of the packaging there were in fact three as expected.

Ray

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Probably just after we've done two or three conversions from either a VIII or IX using the Quickboost Camera'sPigeon Chest cowling, one-piece curved windshield, wing rescribing and scratchbuilding. 

I was close recently to getting the Pavla PR.IV conversion set for the Airfix Mk.I. I still might get it since we are probably looking at a long wait.

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Once I broke it out of the packaging there were in fact three as expected.

And all three are distinctly different? Or is it one set of identicals to what according to Eduard themselves would have been two fuselage sets?

2 hours ago, Tbolt said:

I was close recently to getting the Pavla PR.IV conversion set for the Airfix Mk.I. I still might get it since we are probably looking at a long wait.

oh that's right! Forgot I got those as well last year :P

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

And all three are distinctly different? Or is it one set of identicals to what according to Eduard themselves would have been two fuselage sets?

You get two Sprue D's with the canopy cut out and detail to suit the internal armoured windscreen allowing you to do a Vb with this feature and the more usual Vc. No extra wing though so you cannot do two Vc's. Remember this boxing is for Mk. V's flown by US pilots hence the Vb internal armour windscreen provided for a couple of the kit's scheme options.

Eduard Eagles Call BoxingFuselage Sprue D

One Sprue C for the more normal Vb external armoured windscreen.

Eduard Eagles Call BoxingFuselage Sprue C

So what can you make out of this boxing:

Option A: One external armoured windscreen Mk Vb and one Vc

Option B: One internal armoured windscreen Mk Vb and one Vc

Ray

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ray_W said:

@Scooby Apologies I should add a little more to the story. When you mentioned you had only received two fuselages, I thought I'll check my kit. At first glance it appeared there were only two as the third was inside one of the others. Once I broke it out of the packaging there were in fact three as expected.

Ray

I don’t know how many times I checked and missed it each time, I have three fuselages. I knew I had two in tight, I was actually missing seeing the third which was 180 degrees opposite.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

November

Limited edition kit of British WWII fighter aircraft Spitfire Mk.Vb in 1/48 scale. From the kit you can build Spitfires of pilots of different nationalities, flying in the RAF, fighting over the occupied west part of Europe.

spit_v12.jpg

1 hour ago, Wuger91 said:

From the kit you can build Spitfires of pilots of different nationalities, flying in the RAF, fighting over the occupied west part of Europe.

Goodness me, is that a 453 Squadron subject third from the bottom? Looks like I'll be spending more money. 

Ray