1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia/IIa/IIb/Vb/Vc released

Homebee

12 hours ago, IanF said:

Has anybody else purchased this and are disappointed with the clarity of the clear parts? 

Can you post some pictures please? I'm planning to buy half a dozen overtrees (I don't like the new type decals) so forewarned is forearmed.

Thanks in advance.

Vedran

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 6:49 PM, Peter Roberts said:

I for one will be in line to buy a bunch of these if they get it right. The Battle of Britain remains a passion for me and in my opinion we are yet to get a great Mk I in 1/48.

The most recent Airfix kit has issues with the undercarriage, and the panel lines are still on the heavy side to me. The most recent Tamiya kit comes close but they got lazy with the covering on the upper fuel tank in front of the cockpit - a strip of tape? Seriously? It strikes me as a detail they missed until after they had the kit ready to go, then had to come up with a last minute option.

That said, NONE of the above kits capture the true essence of the early Spitfire fuselages. From around the cockpit back It has overlapping panels with raised and flush rivets. Special Hobby did a good job with the overlapping panels on their kits. Hopefully this is an area Eduard can capture, as well as all the detail changes from first production to end of BoB aircraft. If they do, I for one will be a very happy camper and my wallet will be a lot lighter.

PR

Picky I know but the big beef for me concerning the Tamiya Spitfire is that the sliders for the rudder pedals aren’t parallel . I’ve just bought the new Eduard Dual Combo and am really looking forward to receiving it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

Can you post some pictures please? I'm planning to buy half a dozen overtrees (I don't like the new type decals) so forewarned is forearmed.

Thanks in advance.

Vedran

Of course, I'll try and get some put up later. 

13 minutes ago, IanF said:

Of course, I'll try and get some put up later. 

Hi, @alt-92 put up some great pictures of the actual sprues last weekend on this thread, there is also a link to the kit instructions but now they are all on Eduards web site anyway.

On 1/30/2020 at 1:18 AM, LUCIANO007 said:

Does the resent (superb) Tamiya kit has any known shortcomings that potentially the new Eduard (or Italeri) would address in a much better way?

Honestly asking, I don't know...

Yes. The rudder pedal rails are tapered, they should be parallel. It’s a shame and very obvious.

Edited by avro683
Typo

On 7/7/2020 at 2:39 PM, boom175 said:

When is the Non limited edition i.e. just one kit going on sale. I like the Spitfire Mk1 but I only need one, 

Buy the overtrees. You can download the instructions from the net.

18 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

He obviously hasn't reported the issue IanF has.

Well, you can see in the pictures how mine look. I don't know how @IanF 's look. You would need his pictures.

They seem OK for me - yes, some of the lower parts of the blown hoods have some distortion due to the curved moulding, but those are not the early style hoods. 

Anyways, I was told not to be nitpicky :P

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being picky, I think the kit is lovely and has definitely moved to the top of build pile for me, I was just disappointed with the clear parts, especially compared to other Eduard canopies.

Fortunately, there's plenty of spares to practice dipping in Klear to see if that improves them any. 

Incidentally, the sink marks on the exhausts don't look as pronounced on mine either. 

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can, I'm not with the kit at the minute! 

Scheme 'B' coded PN-M has two potential serials listed; K9831 and K9832

Does anyone know which aircraft this actually is? Also I'm failing to find photo evidence of K9953 ZP-A in the condition in which she has been depicted by Eduard.

Cheers,

WV908

6 hours ago, IanF said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being picky, I think the kit is lovely and has definitely moved to the top of build pile for me, I was just disappointed with the clear parts, especially compared to other Eduard canopies.

Fortunately, there's plenty of spares to practice dipping in Klear to see if that improves them any. 

Incidentally, the sink marks on the exhausts don't look as pronounced on mine either. 

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can, I'm not with the kit at the minute! 

Those canopy’s are quality wise in the same ballpark as their Mk9’s I have ..I hope that  RobTaurus releases a vacuumformed set replacements as those sets are much clearer as you see much more detail with these installed with a closed canopy...

Don’t think the Eduards canopy’s are bad but they do distort your view more than I like as there is a sort of waviness in the see trough parts...

cheers, Jan

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, WV908 said:

Scheme 'B' coded PN-M has two potential serials listed; K9831 and K9832

Does anyone know which aircraft this actually is? Also I'm failing to find photo evidence of K9953 ZP-A in the condition in which she has been depicted by Eduard.

Cheers,

WV908

From the Spitfire production site:

K9831 Ia 41S 30-12-38 wheels up landing Catterick 30-1-39 to 1362M 1 SoTT 22-3-39 SOC 17-8-39 FH19.30

K9832 41S 30-12-38 64S 9-3-40 FTR Dunkirk 29-5-40 P/O George killed

K9831 had an accident in Jan ‘39 so in the scheme shown it’s not that one. 

• Thanks 1

I souldn't say this as it's the 80th. anniversary of the BoB, and just be happy to see a new Mk. I of such quality (can't have too many Spits). But as for the Mk. I/V b I was already quite satisfied with the Airfix kits.

Has anyone insights about the release of a Mk. V c (from Eduard, Tamiya or Airfix) as that is is the version I'm really waiting for.

20 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Those canopy’s are quality wise in the same ballpark as their Mk9’s I have ..I hope that  RobTaurus releases a vacuumformed set replacements as those sets are much clearer as you see much more detail with these installed with a closed canopy...

Don’t think the Eduards canopy’s are bad but they do distort your view more than I like as there is a sort of waviness in the see trough parts...

From experience, they come up very nicely if you polish them. Save having to dip in Future and no need to play with vacuformed canopies (although Rob Taurus canopies are excellent). So if they are the same quality as the Mk IX, I'll be happy. 

1 hour ago, PattheCat said:

Has anyone insights about the release of a Mk. V c (from Eduard, Tamiya or Airfix) as that is is the version I'm really waiting for.

In 1/48 it's too late for me now that I have done my Airfix Vb to Vc conversion.  Usually when I devote a big part of my life to modding I tend to stay away from the new release when it comes out. Like my Eduard late 90's Tempest V, heavily modded, no need for the new one. Thankfully I never started my Hurricane IIC. On the verge of pressing the trigger and then Arma made their announcement. Now I'll wait. 

Never did a heavy mod on a Spitfire Mk I so keep them coming. If the family looks at all the Mk I's in the cabinet, all the same to the non-aficionado, they must ask "What, do you keep buying them till you get it right?".  Thinking about that for a moment, they're probably right!

Ray

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Apart from the oft discussed and already announced 1/72 Airfix one you mean?

What? How could I miss an announcement from Airfix ..... shame on me spacer.png

Let's just say I'm more in 1/48.

10 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I'm not throwing out my SH ones!

Good decision, you never know, the Eduard might be fatally flawed - not enough domed rivets on the rear fuselage. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1