1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia/IIa/IIb/Vb/Vc released

Homebee

1 hour ago, Harold55 said:

I was thinking, as a surprise Eduard could release as Mk Vc with US markings similar to what Classic Airframes did many years ago.  Would be a great release for the IPMS nationals in Omaha this year.

I think the 1/48 F4F Wildcat is for the US nationals.

On 1/20/2022 at 9:51 AM, Tea Taster said:

+1 for Ray's post.

According to Wikipedia (so 100% guaranteed accurate !)

Per Ardua is (or was) the motto for the RAF, RAAF, RNZAF, RCAF(1968) and RIAF(1947).

Per Aspera for the RSAAF.

Eduard are masters at getting the last squeeze from the toothpaste tube when it comes to limited editions.

I will pass on this one, but eagerly await the limited edition release of left handed Irish Spitfire pilots (to be released on 17th March).

spacer.png

As a further hint that it's the SAAF... The title of their 1970 Golden Jubilee Book was Per Aspera ad Astra, too!

On 1/19/2022 at 5:12 PM, Ray_W said:

Think the aircraft theatre and not the pilot - south of Europe. I note sellers are typically advertising with the same words for pre-order that being "From the kit you can build Spitfires fighting over North Africa, the Mediterranean and the Pacific". Sounds like a good mix with some interesting marking options. Probably a good one for the modeller who would like to pick up some varied marking options for a Vb and Vc and build from the same box, and the Gleed markings are cool. 

I was hoping Southern Stars referred to the Southern Cross -  and hence we'd see a Kiwi option.  Noting how many Kiwi pilots flew Mk V's in Italy Several of them were quite successful  . Evan (Rosie Mackie (20 Victories ) to name one.  He scored a number of his victories in Mk V's in the Med and preferred it to the Mk IX. 

As an aside, and excuse my ignorance, did the Kiwi's fly the Mk V in the Pacific? I know they did the P-40 and F4U. 485 Squadron would provide some ETO options. I do not want to send this off topic. Just a quick reply if you know.

Ray

Not in the Pacific as the RNZAF never operated Spitfires down here.  But many Kiwi pilots in the RAF flew the MK V in  Burma and other parts of the SEAC .

It's not the end of the world there are some aftermarket options and I can always make masks.

Edited by Calum
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia/IIa/IIb/Vb/Vc released
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

In the latest Eduard Info (https://info.eduard.com/en/01-2024-1/page-6), Mr Sulc's editorial mentions that a Mk.Va will be released this year.  The original info for "The Sweeps" boxing (a couple of years ago) said that it was going to include the Mk.Va, but I don't think that actually happened; they were all Mk.Vbs in the box.  Whilst it's not too hard to crosskit a Mk.I/II with some Mk.V bits to get there yourself, it'll be nice to see a dedicated kit for the type in Eduard's range! 

My totally rational sense of completionism with regards to 1/48 Spits is one step nearer to being satisfied - now I just need Eduard to follow through with the Mk.X/XI they mentioned briefly *years* ago... 😇

6 hours ago, Type 40 said:

In the latest Eduard Info (https://info.eduard.com/en/01-2024-1/page-6), Mr Sulc's editorial mentions that a Mk.Va will be released this year.  The original info for "The Sweeps" boxing (a couple of years ago) said that it was going to include the Mk.Va, but I don't think that actually happened; they were all Mk.Vbs in the box.  Whilst it's not too hard to crosskit a Mk.I/II with some Mk.V bits to get there yourself, it'll be nice to see a dedicated kit for the type in Eduard's range! 

My totally rational sense of completionism with regards to 1/48 Spits is one step nearer to being satisfied - now I just need Eduard to follow through with the Mk.X/XI they mentioned briefly *years* ago... 😇

I’m keeping my extremities crossed for a foray into the Seafire or PR space. Now they would be welcome.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Greg B said:

I’m keeping my extremities crossed for a foray into the Seafire or PR space. Now hey would be welcome.

Me too.  Almost any Mk would do, but (and I know it’s covered by SH) a MkIII with wing fold option would be preferred…

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It's good that the QJ - J version has the correct 'The Wiltshire Moonraker I'  script on the staboard side.  There is an excellent tweet by @beaver-paul of a photo showing the aircraft W3312 almost brand new without any sqn codes.   I am just making an Airfix Vb with some old decals that doesn't  have the proper presentation script, so I may end up getting this kit for the script!

The only issue is that I don't think there is firm photo evidence that W3312 (The Wiltshire Moonraker) was QJ-J as flown by Sqn Ldr Rankin.  It appears to be an assumption albeit a strong one presumably.  If someone has that proof that would be useful to see.

On 27/01/2024 at 14:40, Olmec Head said:

It's good that the QJ - J version has the correct 'The Wiltshire Moonraker I'  script on the staboard side.  There is an excellent tweet by @beaver-paul of a photo showing the aircraft W3312 almost brand new without any sqn codes.   I am just making an Airfix Vb with some old decals that doesn't  have the proper presentation script, so I may end up getting this kit for the script!

The only issue is that I don't think there is firm photo evidence that W3312 (The Wiltshire Moonraker) was QJ-J as flown by Sqn Ldr Rankin.  It appears to be an assumption albeit a strong one presumably.  If someone has that proof that would be useful to see.

I don't have access to them right now as I'm at work but I imagine the form 541 or combat reports has him listed as flying W3312?

Nice photo of that kite. However, I'm not sure about suggested wings for the kit. I think the Wxxxx series had later underwing cannon blisters, not the one given by Eduard in the box. 

• Like 1

And that's what I'm talking about. In this box Eduard gives the b wing with blisters the same as in Mk.Ib and early Vb made from Mk. I bs (famous photo of QJ-S is the one). In my opinion the one discussed above should have blisters known from Mk.Vb (kidney-like shape)

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 3:40 PM, Olmec Head said:

I was checking something else in 92 squadron ORB and this plane was frequently flown by James Rankin.

• 2 weeks later...