1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia/IIa/IIb/Vb/Vc released

Homebee

Somewhere, I've read, that NZ "supplied" more of the front line personnel as a ratio to population of any Commonwealth countries.

No wonder, Calum is demanding 😎!!!

Yet, I don't see any Spits in NZ, and Morocco can be under "Southern Sky" to a manufacturer in Czech , as Czech Navy is to you.

Bet, you didn't know about it!

Zig

• Like 2

The title is only a title. But one who wants to buiild a Spitfire from Africa or Australia  (or Malta) will have to find some aftermarket resin DeHavilland Hydromatic propellers widely used in those places. 

1 hour ago, DominikS said:

will have to find some aftermarket resin DeHavilland Hydromatic propellers

And I think no aftermarket has correctly portrayed it, yet. If this is the case then my plan will be to modify the Eduard parts if I build another Hydromatic prop aircraft. Nothing in the box seems quite right. At least there are plenty of props and spinners to work on. If you're interested I did some discussion on the DH Hydromatic, and modified the Airfix prop, when I did my Airifx Vb to Vc conversion here:

Ray

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DominikS said:

But Freightdog once made DH Hydromatic. And I think I have two. 

Great find. I found some in stock at Hobby Mania of all places back in Australia and placed an order. Now I will have to make another Hydromatic Mk Vc. This time Eduard.  

There's some information about upcoming Mk.V boxings mentioned on Page 5 of the January 2022 Info Eduard newsletter:  https://www.eduard.com/out/media/InfoEduard/archive/2022/info-eduard-2022-01en.pdf.pdf

Second half of 2022:

• Spitfire Story:  Per Aspera Ad Astra (Limited Edition)
  • Spitfire Mk.Vc Profipack

No mention of what specific topic/theme the Per Aspera Ad Astra boxing will cover, but given that the RAAF crest features the phrase "Per Ardua Ad Astra", perhaps it's an Australian-themed box?  It'd be terrific if that were so (I'm somewhat biased!), and even more so if there was a Peter Malone book included... let's call it "Aussie Five"!

11 minutes ago, DominikS said:

I think that "Per Ardua Ad Astra" is also a phrase on the RAF crest, so it might be also something about RAF .... Battle of Britain maybe???

Per Aspera Ad Astra not Per Ardua Ad Astra - South African Air Force? 

Ray

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Ray

My mistake. But, I remember learning "Per Aspera Ad Astra" not "Per Ardua" and was surpised when I first saw RAF crest.  So maybe some air force from the Continent. 

5 minutes ago, DominikS said:

My mistake. But, I remember learning "Per Aspera Ad Astra" not "Per Ardua" and was surpised when I first saw RAF crest.  So maybe some air force from the Continent. 

I'm putting my money on SAAF.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

I'm putting my money on SAAF.

+1 ☝️
I was thinking about building a 4 cannon SAAF Vc from one of the other dual combo boxings plus some aftermarket decals - or getting the ‘Southern Stars’ boxing which includes one.

I’ll hold off now and see what this ‘Per Aspera’ dual combo yields. There are some nice unusual SAAF schemes out there for the Med and North Africa. 

Steve

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve 1602 said:

There are some nice unusual SAAF schemes out there for the Med and North Africa. 

You're right about that Steve. Would be worthy of a limited edition. 

According to various internet sources, Per Aspera Ad Astra is the motto for the SAAF, most of the other Commonwealth Air Forces that are still styled Royal (insert country) Air Force still use Per Ardua Ad Astra (and a few others that aren't), with the exception of Canada which uses  sic itur ad astra, which translates as "Such is the pathway to the stars".

So it is quite possible that Eduard may be referring to a boxing made up entirely of South African Air Force Spitfires 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

Ray

+1 for Ray's post.

According to Wikipedia (so 100% guaranteed accurate !)

Per Ardua is (or was) the motto for the RAF, RAAF, RNZAF, RCAF(1968) and RIAF(1947).

Per Aspera for the RSAAF.

Eduard are masters at getting the last squeeze from the toothpaste tube when it comes to limited editions.

I will pass on this one, but eagerly await the limited edition release of left handed Irish Spitfire pilots (to be released on 17th March).

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Tea Taster said:

+1 for Ray's post.

According to Wikipedia (so 100% guaranteed accurate !)

Per Ardua is (or was) the motto for the RAF, RAAF, RNZAF, RCAF(1968) and RIAF(1947).

Per Aspera for the RSAAF.

Eduard are masters at getting the last squeeze from the toothpaste tube when it comes to limited editions.

I will pass on this one, but eagerly await the limited edition release of left handed Irish Spitfire pilots (to be released on 17th March).

When they eventually release their 1/48 Hurricane they need to do a Spit and Hurricane boxing for all 10 Irish Battle of Britain pilots.

I will buy enough to make them all! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheFlyingShamrock said:

When they eventually release their 1/48 Hurricane they need to do a Spit and Hurricane boxing for all 10 Irish Battle of Britain pilots.

I will buy enough to make them all! 

Ah, but how many of them were left handed ?

Tea Taster (left handed Irish non-Spitfire pilot) 😀

15 minutes ago, DominikS said:

Actually, the biggest problem is quite different. All these Spitfires are in a wrong scale - they should be in 1/72 🤪😆😂

Yes, we know, but please don't mention it or it will only encourage wierdos who model in other scales to butt in to 1/72 scale threads.  Not, I hasten to add, that there's actually anything wrong with 1/17 or 1/53 or any of the other peculiar non-72 scales.

As an aside, kits on or around my modelling desk include 1/144, 1/200, 1/76, 1/700. 1/720, and something I haven't yet measured but described by the manufacturer as "mini".  But not Spitfires.

On 1/19/2022 at 7:12 PM, Ray_W said:

As an aside, and excuse my ignorance, did the Kiwi's fly the Mk V in the Pacific? I know they did the P-40 and F4U. 485 Squadron would provide some ETO options. I do not want to send this off topic. Just a quick reply if you know.

We did not fly any Spitfire in RNZAF colours, only the "brackets" squadron - at home we had 297 P-40/Kittyhawks of varying models which were replaced by 424 Vought and Goodyear Corsairs.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

We did not fly any Spitfire in RNZAF colours, only the "brackets" squadron

Thanks Zac for the clarification.

Ray

• Like 1

19 hours ago, treker_ed said:

According to various internet sources, Per Aspera Ad Astra is the motto for the SAAF, most of the other Commonwealth Air Forces that are still styled Royal (insert country) Air Force still use Per Ardua Ad Astra (and a few others that aren't), with the exception of Canada which uses  sic itur ad astra, which translates as "Such is the pathway to the stars".

So it is quite possible that Eduard may be referring to a boxing made up entirely of South African Air Force Spitfires 

RCAF used Per Ardua Ad Astra from 1924 to 1968, CAF used it 1968 to 2013.

When we reformed as the RCAF in 2013 we went back to sic itur ad astra, which was our original motto from 1920-1924.

Your entire post is correct, just adding detail.

• Like 1

Per Ardua Ad Astra = Through Adversity to the Stars. I didn’t see that translation mentioned here. As an air cadet, we were taught the motto and it’s meaning, I also served under that motto with the CAF Air Command. Just another little tidbit.

Jeff

I was thinking, as a surprise Eduard could release as Mk Vc with US markings similar to what Classic Airframes did many years ago.  Would be a great release for the IPMS nationals in Omaha this year.