1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia/IIa/IIb/Vb/Vc released

Homebee

11 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Interesting, when I do a search for Vc it only comes up with 82158X. What's the difference in the other one?

I only see 82158X as well, there are two different Vb overtree boxings though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I think this will not be the case. Looking at the sprue shots there are only two wing assembles. One will be the Vb and the other Vc. 

First set of sprues - Vb wing assembly. Note: you do get an extra fuselage that could be used for two Vc's. The other fuselage here is for some Vb versions with the rear fuselage spline flare port.

Eduard Eagles Call Sprue Shots 2

Second Set - Vc wing assembly

Eduard Eagles Call Sprue Shots 1

This is confirmed in the detail fret close ups on Eduard's site. They only call up one wing assembly of each.

Ray

Ray, is the second fuselage in the first set as above, a later internal armoured windscreen or an early external style windscreen, please?  I ask because if the first, could it be used with a spare Eduard MkIXc wing to make another Spitfire, Eduard seem to do enough parts in one boxing for lots of spares and the Eduard early MkIX has two lots of wings.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Olmec Head said:

is the second fuselage in the first set as above, a later internal armoured windscreen

Yes, this appears to be the case. Two fuselages with the later internal armoured windscreen and one external armoured windscreen version. This would explain the overtrees boxing - Vb early, Vb late and Vc.

Mine is on order so I have not had a chance to see the plastic, which can be viewed here with a download of the instructions:

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/eagle´s-call-1-48.html

With the mountain of spares you collect when buying Eduard Spitfires, some mixing and matching will be possible. 

Ray

16 hours ago, Olmec Head said:

Ray, is the second fuselage in the first set as above, a later internal armoured windscreen or an early external style windscreen, please?  I ask because if the first, could it be used with a spare Eduard MkIXc wing to make another Spitfire, Eduard seem to do enough parts in one boxing for lots of spares and the Eduard early MkIX has two lots of wings.

I noticed the same thing tonight and was thinking the same. Should build it as JEJ JR! 

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia/IIa/IIb/Vb/Vc released

Mine arrived from Hannants yesterday - looks really nice. Plastic looks like the usual high standard we’ve come to expect from Eduard’s Spitfire family and there will be plenty of items for the spares box! An interesting selection of schemes as well. 
There is a print error in the instruction booklet - scheme D (EN851) has the colour plate for scheme E (BL255). The Eduard website shows the instructions correctly, so it’s available for anyone wanting to see Scheme D - must have been an error at their printers. 

Afternoon all, I'm a long time lurker, but here goes with my first post (so go gently please).

Regarding the Mk.Vb  in the recent Eagle's Call release, as well as the new fuselage sprue for the internally armoured windscreen (sprue D), it appears the lower wing has changed from the Mk.IIb release, and is now labelled sprue M. It appears the landing lights have been deleted and the cannon fairings are an asymmetric shape.

Is the lower wing in the MK.IIb release suitable for the very early Mk.Vb ?

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

There was a different cannon bulge on the first Mk.I conversion, and it was asymmetric, but these were called Mk.I (cannon armed).  I don't know of any difference between the B wing on the Mk.II and the Mk.V, but perhaps Eduard do?

Mainly fabric covered ailerons on the Mk II and metal covered on the Mk V (from mid 1941 anyway). Apart from that I think the wings were essentially the same until the Vc appeared.

14 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

There was a different cannon bulge on the first Mk.I conversion, and it was asymmetric, but these were called Mk.I (cannon armed).  I don't know of any difference between the B wing on the Mk.II and the Mk.V, but perhaps Eduard do?

Graham, I may be wrong, but the famous photo of No. 92 Squadron Spitfire Mk.Vb QJ-S shows upgraded Mk.Ib and underwing cannon bulges look the same (long, narrow vs kidney-like shape bulges on other known photos of Mk.Vbs). 

• Like 1

spacer.pngspacer.png

as a compare the Airfix parts.

Over on HS Brett published a sprue table for the early Spit Series from Eduard in "What´s New" on August 10. I had not been able to post this table here .

HS forums (Plane Talking)  has an interesting thread with pictures about other parts found on the sprue dedicated for tropical Mk.Vs - worth looking up!

Regards

Andreas Beck

• Like 1

Thanks for the pictures Andreas, exactly so! It was the table on HS that piqued my interest when I saw the new sprue 'M' listed in the table.

I have found this thread (and the thread on spitfire questions) really informative, and now know not to paint crow-bars red, or call plastic seats bakelite.

I am also amazed at the amount of research that Eduard put into their kits, and the variations that they offer, and understand that it is not economical to include all variations.

Having invested in five Tally Ho! boxings (🤫) with the intention of building most of them as late MK.Is and early Mk.Vbs, just wondering as to when the change to the fairing shape occurred? 

• Like 1

In that topic there is a photo of upgraded Mk.Ib. Although not very clear, you can see that it has same (or very similar) underwing cannon bulges as in Spitfire Mk.IIb offered by Eduard. And there are nice diagrams showing two types of underwing cannon bulges used on Mk.Vbs. 

• Like 1

On 30/07/2021 at 12:10, Ray_W said:

Yes, this appears to be the case. Two fuselages with the later internal armoured windscreen and one external armoured windscreen version. This would explain the overtrees boxing - Vb early, Vb late and Vc.

Mine is on order so I have not had a chance to see the plastic, which can be viewed here with a download of the instructions:

With the mountain of spares you collect when buying Eduard Spitfires, some mixing and matching will be possible. 

Ray

Thank you Ray for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, TheFlyingShamrock said:

Apologies if this has already been answered but have Eduard indicated if they plan on releasing a Mk Ib kit at any point? 

I know there weren’t many but it’d be nice to have one to build all the same. 

They have the plastic, so they will probably release it at some point. If you already have the decals, edit: *Mk.IIb* is available as the bare plastic Overtrees issue.

Edited by dragonlanceHR
Corrected info on overtrees version

5 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

They have the plastic, so they will probably release it at some point. If you already have the decals, edit: *Mk.IIb* is available as the bare plastic Overtrees issue.

Ah I’m happy to wait for them to release a kit, I was just wondering if they’d ever said they were going to do it. I’m hoping for some PR Spitfires and Seafires too

1 hour ago, TheFlyingShamrock said:

Ah I’m happy to wait for them to release a kit, I was just wondering if they’d ever said they were going to do it. I’m hoping for some PR Spitfires and Seafires too

IIRC there was no official announcement of either.

1 hour ago, TheFlyingShamrock said:

I asked Eduard recently about the possibility of a 1/48 PR.XI but they said they might in the future but nothing on the cards currently. Probably a conversion kit for the Airfix PR.XIX is the most likely hope (Ali??). There was one I think (manufacturer unknown) but I haven't managed to get one and OOP sets are a bit hard to get and too expensive if & when they surface. Quite frustrating given that here in the UK the 'NHS Spit' is doing a lot of flying and probably inspiring many of us to make a model. I know about the cross kitting options by the way for 1/72 but in 1/48?

• Like 1

V.Šulc stated several times on

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95280&start=32730

that Seafires Mk.I.b, Mk.II.c, Mk.III were in longterm development as well as PR.IV.

For those not familiar with webpage link posted above, Mr.Šulc actively interacts answering lots of questions, mostly...will you do..xyxy....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, viscount806x said:

I asked Eduard recently about the possibility of a 1/48 PR.XI but they said they might in the future but nothing on the cards currently. Probably a conversion kit for the Airfix PR.XIX is the most likely hope (Ali??). There was one I think (manufacturer unknown) but I haven't managed to get one and OOP sets are a bit hard to get and too expensive if & when they surface. Quite frustrating given that here in the UK the 'NHS Spit' is doing a lot of flying and probably inspiring many of us to make a model. I know about the cross kitting options by the way for 1/72 but in 1/48?

Well at least the PR.XI is still a might. After it was mentioned in 2015 that they my yet do a PR.XI and nothing since, I thought maybe they had abandoned it.

On 7/30/2021 at 5:10 AM, Ray_W said:

Ray

Turns out this was not the case, there are only two fuselages in the boxing.

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

Turns out this was not the case, there are only two fuselages in the boxing.

This is from my Eagle's Call boxing.

Eduard Eagles Call Boxing Wing RW

Ray

• Like 2