Jump to content

1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia released - Mk.IIa & b in December 2020


Recommended Posts

Oh no.....  I'm saving up to go on holiday!  I seem to have back-odered it anyway....

Link to post
Share on other sites

When is the Non limited edition i.e. just one kit going on sale. I like the Spitfire Mk1 but I only need one, 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, boom175 said:

When is the Non limited edition i.e. just one kit going on sale. I like the Spitfire Mk1 but I only need one, 


Don’t think its says mate. 

Be patient. 


A singular profipack and then subsequent dumbed down ‘weekend’ editions will no doubt follow as with pretty much every Eduard release ever. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

This'll be better than a holiday! :) 

Not for ‘Er Indoors it won’t be!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone be able to see if the seat is the early type, i.e without the dinghy thingy rhomboid in the seat bottom.  Am I right in my assumption that the rhomboid seat was introduced in 1941?  I ask because having looked at my Tamiya new 1/48 Spitfire I was disappointed that it was the Rhomboid style seat, ditto for the latest Airfix (although their 1/72 version has the early seat).

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Olmec Head said:

Has anyone be able to see if the seat is the early type, i.e without the dinghy thingy rhomboid in the seat bottom.  Am I right in my assumption that the rhomboid seat was introduced in 1941?  I ask because having looked at my Tamiya new 1/48 Spitfire I was disappointed that it was the Rhomboid style seat, ditto for the latest Airfix (although their 1/72 version has the early seat).

The Spitfire had a seat? :S

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Olmec Head said:

Has anyone be able to see if the seat is the early type, i.e without the dinghy thingy rhomboid in the seat bottom.  Am I right in my assumption that the rhomboid seat was introduced in 1941?  I ask because having looked at my Tamiya new 1/48 Spitfire I was disappointed that it was the Rhomboid style seat, ditto for the latest Airfix (although their 1/72 version has the early seat).

That is the Spitfire seat. The early metal seat just had a 'trough' running from side to side. The seat you describe is the 'standard' seat style; it was introduced early in production.

Edited by Peter Roberts
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking very nice. One question though. 

 

I dont  have my Spitfire plans to hand but has Eduard put a panel line across the front of the top cowling near the spinner that shouldn’t be there. I think Tamiya have done this with there’s too?

 

James

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, franky boy said:

Looking very nice. One question though. 

 

I dont  have my Spitfire plans to hand but has Eduard put a panel line across the front of the top cowling near the spinner that shouldn’t be there. I think Tamiya have done this with there’s too?

 

James

 

Looks like it. Airfix also have this line. Was it there on some Mk.I's or have they all copied the same restoration? Looking at drawings the earliest marque that shows it is the Seafire Mk.III. Easy enough to fill, well sort of if it wasn't for all those rivet holes 🙄

 

file.php?id=1606225

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2020 at 2:39 PM, boom175 said:

When is the Non limited edition i.e. just one kit going on sale. I like the Spitfire Mk1 but I only need one, 

According to Distributor leaflet:

'In October, we will release Spitfire Mk.Ia in ProfiPack 1/48th scale line, another item related to the Battle of Britain 80th anniversary.'

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/distributors/leaflet/leaflet2020-09en.pdf

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Tbolt said:

 

Looks like it. Airfix also have this line. Was it there on some Mk.I's or have they all copied the same restoration? Looking at drawings the earliest marque that shows it is the Seafire Mk.III. Easy enough to fill, well sort of if it wasn't for all those rivet holes 🙄

Here are some early mark Spitfires from

the IWM photo archive

 

without the cowl split

 

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205143393

 

and another anonymous example

 

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205127193
 

but

 

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205446986

 

Check your references!

 

Trevor

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tbolt said:

I believe "Lima Challenger" is a Mk.V airframe though.

Could well be, but as Eduard will also be doing the V from the same moulds, it would still be relevant at that time.

 

I think the moral of the story is put your google-fu in overdrive and check your chosen subject!

 

Trevor

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Could well be, but as Eduard will also be doing the V from the same moulds, it would still be relevant at that time.

 

I think the moral of the story is put your google-fu in overdrive and check your chosen subject!

 

Trevor

 

 

And maybe that's why they have that line in there, though this Mk.II has the join, which apparently hasn't even been repainted.

 

136-3.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/07/2020 at 19:47, Tbolt said:

And maybe that's why they have that line in there, though this Mk.II has the join, which apparently hasn't even been repainted.

 

 

Replacement cowl at some point?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, john224 said:

Replacement cowl at some point?

 

Could be, but do we know if there was two different early cowls or not? Without a picture of every Mk.I/II as it left the factory we will never know if they all had a one piece cowl to start with or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/07/2020 at 04:10, Tbolt said:

 

Looks like it. Airfix also have this line. Was it there on some Mk.I's or have they all copied the same restoration? Looking at drawings the earliest marque that shows it is the Seafire Mk.III. Easy enough to fill, well sort of if it wasn't for all those rivet holes 🙄

 

 

Just had a little look around at some restored examples on the internet in favourable light there is a double line of rivets there but probably not a panel line or any kind of overlap. 
 

James 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Could be, but do we know if there was two different early cowls or not? Without a picture of every Mk.I/II as it left the factory we will never know if they all had a one piece cowl to start with or not.

I was thinking more of a Mk V cowl. Colours are 1941 or later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, john224 said:

I was thinking more of a Mk V cowl. Colours are 1941 or later.

I did understand that, I was just posing another question. The point being you can never be complete sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tbolt said:

I did understand that, I was just posing another question. The point being you can never be complete sure.

No you can't. Looking at that photo, is that a museum exhibit? If so they would just have used whatever was available to replace a damaged part. Even the best do it, AB910 of the BBMF had a Mk9 propeller and exhaust stacks for many years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, john224 said:

No you can't. Looking at that photo, is that a museum exhibit? If so they would just have used whatever was available to replace a damaged part. Even the best do it, AB910 of the BBMF had a Mk9 propeller and exhaust stacks for many years. 

Yes it's a museum piece but like I said it's apparently original paint and to me the top cowl looks like it matches the rest of the paint work so I would say it's not a replacement, unless it was a replacement in the war early in it's career, but you can speculate all sorts of things and things changed all the time. Don't forget our models are just one moment in time - just build it as it is unless you have a clear of the airframe you are building.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On Spits there is a light frame member at this point, maybe removable to allow engine removal as it doesn't always appear in maintenance photos? 

 

The cowlings of all these CBAF mark Vs seem to have a joint to the front part - there is a straight line difference in colour.

https://supermariners.wordpress.com/castle-bromwich/

 

In my copy of "the Spitfire Story" p66 there is a photo of 2-blader K9845 being compass-swung.  All the cowling fixings are light-coloured (silver?) and there seems to be one at the top of the cowling, well above the front manifold header.

 

From that CBAF photo  I would surmise the front of the cowling is a separate pressing joggle-jointed to the main part, due to the sharper curves needed?  Whether it is visible or not would depend on quality of filling, its longevity, or maybe they dispensed entirely with such frivolity later.  A photo of the inside of the front part of an early cowling would be most revealing.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia released - Mk.IIa & b in December 2020

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...