1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia/IIa/IIb/Vb/Vc released

Homebee

10 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Come on, you can't compare the 109F and G with the Griffon engined Spitfires... the F and even more the G formed the bulk of the Luftwaffe force during the central and late years of the war (of course together with the various Fw.190 variants). The various Griffon engined Spit variants never even replaced the Mk.IX and VIII as main RAF fighters until well after the war.

Little more of 2,000 Griffon engined Spitfires of all variants were built, a large part after the war. These account for roughly 10% of all Spitfire production and less than 10% of the production of the various Bf.109G subvariants.. Yes, there were more Bf.109G produced than all Spitfire marks put together !

As Graham rightly pointed out, the equivalent of the Spitfire XIV would be the 109K, and there have been much less kits made of this variant than of the E, F and non AS G. Actually some G subvariants had never appeared in model form until very recently, due to how little known they were. But E, F and G were the equivalent of the Spitfire I/II, V and IX/VIII, and all these variants of both fighters have been available as kits in large numbers since they are the best known and really were also the most important in WW2

The number of real aircraft produced actually has little bearing on whether a kit is made or not; hence we have a beautiful $100+ kit in two release variants of the An-225, of which there is exactly one completed aircraft. How many Do 335s, or Ar 234s were built and yet there are several kits, in multiple scales, of each aircraft. 

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

The number of real aircraft produced actually has little bearing on whether a kit is made or not; hence we have a beautiful $100+ kit in two release variants of the An-225, of which there is exactly one completed aircraft. How many Do 335s, or Ar 234s were built and yet there are several kits, in multiple scales, of each aircraft. 

That's exactly my point, we have yet another state of the art MkI Spitfire when I would have preferred to see a Griffon powered machine. I know it might/will sell well for Eduard and I'm sure it will be a fantastic kit but I'd like to see more of the Spitfire family in high quality plastic. They might not sell as well as all the Battle of Britain based kits but I'm sure they'd pay for themselves or Airfix wouldn't have turned out their Mk XIV.

'yet another state of the art Mk I Spitfire' - ???

It would be nice to have an accurate state of the art model.

'State of the art'  doesn't cut it for me if it lacks accuracy. 

I say bring it on. 

Depends on your definition of accurate. Where are the rivets on the rear fuselage and overlapping panels? Airfix panel lines, Tamiya lack of armour over fuel tank (as per my earlier post a strip of tape is NOT accurate) 

Shape wise they may be a good representation but for me the devil is in the detail. Then again, maybe I'm just obsessed. :) 

• Haha 1

On 1/8/2020 at 8:54 PM, VMA131Marine said:

The number of real aircraft produced however can have an impact on how well known a type is and this is what differentiates the true "classics" from the rest.

Of course, can have an impact, it's not true that it will have an impact, as Soviet WW2 types for example are little known outside Russia... but here we're talking about the most important variant of the most important fighter of the Luftwaffe in WW2..  is this enough to consider the Bf.109G series as one of the "classics" that are guaranteed to sell big time ? I would say it is plenty enough.

The number of kits issued over the years seem to confirm this... yes, the An-225 was graced by two kit releases, there have been kits of the Do.335 and Ar.234... but how many kits have been made of these types ? I can think of 5 Ar.234 in all scales, maybe I missed a couple. At the same time I also can think of at least a dozen of companies that have issued 109Gs, many of them with more than one tool in more than one scale, not to mention in countless subvariants and markings.

As said before, a couple years ago Eduard stated that they would have focused on the "classics" for their future kits, with some exceptions of types that are well known in their Country. They did the 109, they did the Fw.190, they did the Spitfire IX and the P-51D. They also did the Tempest and now they are launching a new Spitfire and they chose one of the classic variants, the Mk.I ! With other single-stage Merlin engined variants to follow... They are doing exactly what they announced, go through the classics and focus on the best known variants of such classics. It doesn't matter if my favourite Spitfire variant is another one, if I could I'd ask them to focus on the various PR types first ! But they want the classics, and the Mk,I is one such classic much more than a Mk.XIV. If they will ever do a XIV, it will be after the Mk.I and V. They announced a Tempest II following the V, maybe the will do less known Spitfires... but after the most famous ones.

Other companies may have different strategies, Eduard announced this one and they are mostly following it, no matter if we like it or not.

Edited by Giorgio N

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Do.335 and Ar.234... but how many kits have been made of these types ? I can think of 5 Ar.234 in all scales, maybe I missed a couple.

Ar 234

1/72 - FROG, Lindberg, Dragon

1/48 - Hasegawa, Hobbycraft

1/32 - Fly, Zoukei-Mura(in development)

Do 335

1/144 - FE Resin

1/72 - FROG, Dragon, Lindberg, Hobby Boss

1/48 - Tamiya, Monogram (Revell)

1/32 - HK Models, Zoukei-Mura

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 6:37 PM, Peter Roberts said:

Depends on your definition of accurate. Where are the rivets on the rear fuselage and overlapping panels? 

Which is interesting, as the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire I was rummaging through the other day (it's a 70s boxing in the white plastic) has raised rivets on the rear fuselage and a few overlapping panels. Seems it was doable 40 years ago. Another kit that springs to mind is the Revell 1/32 P-40. That has very nice overlapped panels...and how old is that? It will be interesting to see if Eduard replicate this detail on their new Spitfire.

Steve

• Like 5

We also have a 1/48 scale kit of the Mk I Spitfire coming from Italeri as well!  I have my fingers crossed one of them can get better detail there. Special Hobby had a good crack at the over lapping panels with their 1/48 scale kits but missed the prominent raised rivets.

It would also be great to see some decals for Pat Hughes aircraft, 234 Squadron, proclaimed the ranking ace of the Battle at the time of his death and one of the most unrecognized pilots of the BoB.

PR

• Like 1

Tamiya's new Mk.I is the best Mk.I ever portrayed(in any scale) by any manufacturer, only thing missing in my subjective view is level of surface details found on recent

Eduard kits-than it would be perfect, again in my view. Only areas where I would improve on Tamiya would be single piece upper cowling and rivets.

Maybe arrogant, but have more than serious doubts about Italeri's capability of producing anything resembling Tamiya, not to mention Eduard.

7 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Only areas where I would improve on Tamiya would be single piece upper cowling 

Knowing Eduard's solution to that with the Mk.IX versions, that might just be an extra 12€ Brassin aftermarket one.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Knowing Eduard's solution to that with the Mk.IX versions, that might just be an extra 12€ Brassin aftermarket one.

That won't fit 😉

Hopefully the Eduard Mk.I/V will have a one piece cowl as they said there are going to be improvements over their Mk.IX.

• Haha 1

Considering the rather impressive Eduard attention to detail in their VIII/IX/XVI: like three types of landig gear legs, fuselages (early/late tailwheel, high/low back) wing (c/e armament, wing bulges above the wheel wells, etc.

I hope they give the short Merlins the same treatment:

-Mk II

-Vb

-Vc

-Seafire hooked/I/IIc/III

It's the Seafire III I really long for!

Early PR. and Mk.VI are Ok, too...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I'd like to see Eduard do a Mki-V Spitfire in 1/72... Their later Merlin spitfires are pretty good

IIRC they mentioned something along these lines a few years ago. Judging from the success of their 1/72 Spitfire kits, it's very likely that the Mk.I and following will also be offered in this scale. The problem is when this will happen, as Eduard alwyas take some time to develop their range. I'd expect to see the P-51Ds offered before the Spitfires

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomas Enerdal said:

Considering the rather impressive Eduard attention to detail in their VIII/IX/XVI: like three types of landig gear legs, fuselages (early/late tailwheel, high/low back) wing (c/e armament, wing bulges above the wheel wells, etc.

I hope they give the short Merlins the same treatment:

-Mk II

-Vb

-Vc

-Seafire hooked/I/IIc/III

It's the Seafire III I really long for!

Early PR. and Mk.VI are Ok, too...

I'd love to see any PR versions as they don't get enough love from manufacture's, I'm still wait for that Mk.XI.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Important question - will it be pockmarked  with rivets? If it’s within a few quid of the Airfix one (which I like apart from the undercarriage btw) I may just have a go.

Trevor

Pretty sure they will be covered in rivets since Eduard don't do anything now with out them. I wish they would sitch them in 1/72 though.

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

IIRC they mentioned something along these lines a few years ago. Judging from the success of their 1/72 Spitfire kits, it's very likely that the Mk.I and following will also be offered in this scale. The problem is when this will happen, as Eduard alwyas take some time to develop their range. I'd expect to see the P-51Ds offered before the Spitfires

Well I can wait a while, the Airfix Mk.Ia is adequate for me for now. I also want to build a few of the other Mk.I to Mk.V Spitfires out there in the scale... 

I also hope they bring out a Bf109 Emil in 1/72, and weren't they planning a Gustav? That would lead inevitably to a Friedrich and Kurfürst of course. 

The future looks bright for Eduard's new releases whatever they're doing as we can be sure of a stunning kit in almost every box.

Eduard Mk. I was in Weekend edition a cheap alternative to relative expensive Tamiya (but yup, it is a little as ProfiPack), with nicest surface details (Tamiya is nice, but bare without rivets) and more detailed to early version and sub-version. (And with more colourful camos and better decals choice). I bought Tamiya, because i love a Spit and Tamiya, but Eduard was more interesting option... - and i hope in accurate Mk. II, especially first cannon Spit Mk. IIb... (And naturally Czechoslovakian Squadron L.E.).

Edited by AlCZ

Fresh news: https://www.facebook.com/EduardCompany/posts/3359105404104383

And https://www.facebook.com/pg/EduardCompany/photos/?tab=album&album_id=3359104984104425&ref=page_internal

Spitfire Mk.I-V project covers several versions of the early Merlin powered Spitfires, basical Spitfire Mk.I, Mk.II, Mk.Vs, as well as the Seafires later. The project will be split to several stages.The first stage is Spitfire Mk.I, which is scheduler to second half of this year with couple of boxings

92253420-3359105114104412-85610830246350

There will be two two different frame of the fuselage versions available, except the variable small parts like the wind shield, canopy, anténa mast, pitot tupe or propeller. There were no armors in early Spitfires, the armor protecting the fuel tank, wind shield and pilot back were added step by step during the service, maynly after Battle of France during the Summer and early Fall of 1940. Combination of the various alternative parts allows to get Spitfire Mk.I in the fashion of the aircraft in various service times. There are two fuselage versions seen, the early one up and late version bottom. Note the early fuselage doesn´t represent the K5054 prototype!

92102809-3359105287437728-68371267416437

The wings are also two different frames with small, but important differences. See the surface enforcement over the landing gear Wells, added to late production aircraft with retrofit to the older examples. The same was the heat of the wing guns, which was none on the first Spitfires. Later, after troubles with frozen machine guns, a hot air heating system was instaled, taking the hot air from the wing cooler with the exhaust fairings close to the wing tips, and the final solution was the elctrical heating, used on all the produced

91866146-3359105147437742-84131207183880

The changes comparing Mk.Ib and Mk.Ia are in the wings, with Hispano connons instaled. The kit will have extra B wing frame.

91338294-3359105227437734-60980658332531

The surface riveting of the back fuselage is made in combination of the positive and negative riveting. Don´t be confused by the the picture, the rivets are very very tiny on the real kit surface. 

91288913-3359105310771059-17508575529517

The first Spitfire Mk.I release will be THE SPITFIRE Mk.I STORY, a LIMITED EDITION item, released in August, 2020. The item will be released in DUAL COMBO mode, with two kits inside, Spitfire Mk.I early and Spitfire Mk.Ia late, with two separate sets of fuselages and wings. 

91247101-3359105187437738-89905466357422

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 5