1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia/IIa/IIb/Vb/Vc released

Homebee

11 minutes ago, nickhenfrey said:

Apologies if this is in the wrong place - I originally bought this set to build Douglas Bader 222 squadron, and George Unwin 19 squadron, but it looks like they should both have the later fuselage. It then crossed my mind to build Douglas Bader 19 squadron (before 222), but I think by the time he joined (around Feb 1940) they would have moved on from the Option A type (1938 19 Squadron). I have not found any info on his 19 squadron spitfire - there is a famous picture of Cozens with some other 19 Squadron Spits, but I assume this is before DB joined in. Anyone have any info or links to DB 19 squadron?

May be worth a check of the 19 Sqn ORB at the National Archives? I am not sure how much they recorded pre-war flying details - seems to have varied a bit between Squadrons.

I received my Eduard Mk I's and have no issue with the quality of moulding. Crisp and the every bit as good as Eduard's other recent kits. Very nice indeed. What I thought was a short shot affecting the gun ports in @alt-92 original pictures is, in fact, done by design with an engagement in the other wing half.

Eduard_Spitfire_MkI_1

I too have the sink marks in the exhausts (only defect I can find). This is nothing. A very easy fill and correct.  If this means I get hollowed out exhausts that just need a little bit of refinement then I'll go the hollow exhausts.

Eduard_Spitfire_MkI_2

I think the rivets are nice and the quarter-turn fasteners just need to be knocked back a fraction (easy to do). Alternatively build as is and you'll be very satisfied.

Shame about the decals. Let's down what should of been the near perfect kit. Those dark squadron codes and ever so slightly blurry roundels - they can't be happy with this at Eduard. Might be worth a try for a replacement. 

Overall great kit. Looking forward to building a very early Spitfire. 

Ray

• Like 5

The comparison shot between two regularly used paints and the decals would indicate they are actually pretty well matched to what MSG should be.

Granted, I myself prefer the look of Tamiya's MSG, but when checked against chips it is too light apparently, with the VMA sample judged as a close match.

So they may have gotten it right, just not what we normally expect/use/prefer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

So they may have gotten it right, just not what we normally expect/use/prefer.

Well if it's a close match to some interpretations of MSG then no problem. The test will be what it looks like on the aircraft. The roundels are not a problem as I will mask and spray. However, I would prefer to use the kit's squadron codes.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 12:46 PM, DonH said:

What is your opinion of the raised rivets? They look overdone to me, but it's hard to tell from photos. The Tamiya kit has no rivets at all, which I am sad about.

Raised rivets on the Cosford Mk1... they are quite clearly defined:

IMG_6348.JPG-L.jpg

Up close and personal walk around here to answer all those "How accurate is the Eduard kit?" questions, or just help build a nice model of one... 😜

https://cmatthewbacon.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Spitfire-Mk1-Walkaround

best,

M.

• Like 2

The dangers of using post-period preserved aircraft is already visible :)

IFF related fuselage points is definitely not suitable for a 1938-early 1940 bird.

41 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Raised rivets on the Cosford Mk1... they are quite clearly defined

True, but I am more interested in how they are represented on the Eduard kit. I am sure Eduard have done a fine job, not perfect but I think it will become my favourite 1/48 Spit kit over the Tamiya version. In fact, I will have both soon and I think between them I can build up some very nice BoB or early models.

Thanks for the link to the walk around, some very useful pictures.

4 hours ago, alt-92 said:

FF related fuselage points is definitely not suitable for a 1938-early 1940 bird

Thankfully a simple fill and sand job.  Hang on a minute 🤔 now I have raised rivets to contend with. Oh well, a not quite as simple fill and sand job. Can't have it all.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Thankfully a simple fill and sand job.  Hang on a minute 🤔 now I have raise rivets to contend with. Oh well, a not quite as simple fill and sand job. Can't have it all.

I do have to build it and that is also a real drawback of this kit... fill those not needed lines ..as you say not an easy fill and sand job...

Life is difficult being a modeller..choices choices choices🙄thank you Eduard for giving us a choice 🤓

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

I’ll slap a Weekend edition together (whenever that appears) and revel in its niceness and place it next to my Airfix MK.I and be well chuffed with both. 

From what I’ve read here, I need to fill the sink marks on the exhausts and eradicate an erroneous plug flap on the port wing root and I’ll be happy.

For those to whom super detailing is a given, no doubt there will opportunities to do so. Everyone has their own level of satisfaction and long may that be the case.

I’m happy that Airfix, Tamiya and Eduard will be vying for my £ to give me a nice model OOB.

Trevor

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I’ll slap a Weekend edition together (whenever that appears) and revel in its niceness and place it next to my Airfix MK.I and be well chuffed with both. 

From what I’ve read here, I need to fill the sink marks on the exhausts and eradicate an erroneous plug flap on the port wing root and I’ll be happy.

For those to whom super detailing is a given, no doubt there will opportunities to do so. Everyone has their own level of satisfaction and long may that be the case.

I’m happy that Airfix, Tamiya and Eduard will be vying for my £ to give me a nice model OOB.

Trevor

Quote right Trevor, my thoughts exactly. 

James

8 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Thankfully a simple fill and sand job.  Hang on a minute 🤔 now I have raised rivets to contend with. Oh well, a not quite as simple fill and sand job. Can't have it all.

Have you tried a water soluble filler? My favourite filler has become one by Vallejo. Apply, then use a damp cotton bud (or Q-tip for US modellers) to wipe away any excess. No sanding. Love it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Have you tried a water soluble filler? My favourite filler has become one by Vallejo. Apply, then use a damp cotton bud (or Q-tip for US modellers) to wipe away any excess. No sanding. Love it!

Hi Peter,

Yes an ideal product for this type of work.

Ray

On 07/08/2020 at 23:12, cmatthewbacon said:

Raised rivets on the Cosford Mk1... they are quite clearly defined:

Up close and personal walk around here to answer all those "How accurate is the Eduard kit?" questions, or just help build a nice model of one... 😜

https://cmatthewbacon.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Spitfire-Mk1-Walkaround

best,

M.

Is the Cosford Mk.1 accurate in having a three bladed prop, or was it simply that nothing else suitable was available during the restoration to Mk.1 configuration so she kept a three blade prop?

I'd quite like to build this one, but in strictly wartime condition.

Cheers,

WV908

16 minutes ago, WV908 said:

Is the Cosford Mk.1 accurate in having a three bladed prop, or was it simply that nothing else suitable was available during the restoration to Mk.1 configuration so she kept a three blade prop?

Short answer for war time Yes. 

This aircraft had a long and varied life, worth reading this:

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documents/collections/72-A-263-Spitfire-1-K9942.pdf

Ray

• Thanks 2

On 8/6/2020 at 6:47 PM, Nocoolname said:

Sorry, just not getting the above at all. Do you want a Spitfire model or an actual Spitfire? That will actually have the all of the bits you're after and they'll even do them in 1:1 scale for you? I received my boxing a couple of days ago. I'm selling off almost all of my aircraft kits with the main exception being a few I can make a BoB setup from. The new Eduard kit goes down a treat. It looks like a Spitfire, feels like a Spitfire, even smells like a Spitfire and is riddled with detail. Evidently nowhere near the quality of the 1977 Airfix Spitfire but hey, I guess I'll just have to cope without all that flash and those lovely raised details and that crystal clear scale canopy and just live with what Eduard have lumped on me. 

In the meantime, tonight's radio broadcast will be the following compendium....

IMG_0217

Well, I guess you're right and everyone else is wrong then? I'm sure there's an equal amount of people tutting at your view also. 

I'm with you 100% though in that it looks, feels  and smells like a Spitfire. The accuracy of the cockpit details don't worry me one bit, but at the same time I can appreciate that for some, this is important and they want it to be right. 

Most of it won't be seen under the sub-standard clear parts anyway. 😅

33 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Short answer for war time Yes. 

This aircraft had a long and varied life, worth reading this:

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documents/collections/72-A-263-Spitfire-1-K9942.pdf

Ray

Hi Ray,

That makes an interesting read - thanks for the link. It looks like she was built too late to get the two bladed prop, but I think the most surprising thing in there is that she was kicked out of Hendon to make way for the EH101! 

Cheers,

WV908 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IanF said:

Well, I guess you're right and everyone else is wrong then? I'm sure there's an equal amount of people tutting at your view also. 

I'm with you 100% though in that it looks, feels  and smells like a Spitfire. The accuracy of the cockpit details don't worry me one bit, but at the same time I can appreciate that for some, this is important and they want it to be right. 

Most of it won't be seen under the sub-standard clear parts anyway. 😅

I didn't like the look and shape of the AMT Space 1999 Eagle so I designed and fabricated my own model. I didn't engage in a diatribe about it or have a go at Round 2, I just got on with it. And most importantly I didn't go online and suggest that what 'I' was doing was the 'right' way. It was what 'I' wanted that's all. And despite the considerable sum I invested in the project, when R2 released their updated version I was delighted. I had loads of fun designing my own and learnt so much as to allow me to enhance the new kits. I certainly didn't send a shopping list of things they could have done to R2. This is a hobby not a mission, its meant to be fun. Please lets all keep it that way 'for each other'! :)

11 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

I didn't like the look and shape of the AMT Space 1999 Eagle so I designed and fabricated my own model. I didn't engage in a diatribe about it or have a go at Round 2, I just got on with it. And most importantly I didn't go online and suggest that what 'I' was doing was the 'right' way. It was what 'I' wanted that's all. And despite the considerable sum I invested in the project, when R2 released their updated version I was delighted. I had loads of fun designing my own and learnt so much as to allow me to enhance the new kits. I certainly didn't send a shopping list of things they could have done to R2. This is a hobby not a mission, its meant to be fun. Please lets all keep it that way 'for each other'! :)

Good for you mate, if that's what you're in to, but not everybody is, nor has the means to do that. 

Edited by IanF

Very impressed with mine,...... missus bought it for my 50th! Even has optional early and later fuselage`s,....... 2 blade prop and lots of 3 bladers,..... there are cannons on the sprue too,....... so a Mk.Ib/V are obviously on the cards. Decal options are very good and the surface detail is fantastic.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

Great photo coverage - thanks for posting. It looks like, with all the constraints of model creation, that Eduard have smashed this out of the park.

It looks amazing in 1/48 scale. It would be wonderful to see this scaled up to 1/32, or 1/24.

THANK YOU Eduard!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tonyot said:

Very impressed with mine,...... missus bought it for my 50th! Even has optional early and later fuselage`s,....... 2 blade prop and lots of 3 bladers,..... there are cannons on the sprue too,....... so a Mk.Ib/V are obviously on the cards. Decal options are very good and the surface detail is fantastic.

Cheers

Tony

Tony

On Eduards monthly news letter they’re saying that they are going to release a mk2 with a and b wing armament late this year early next. I guess a mkv will follow after that. Happy days! And belated happy birthday to. 

Mine arrived last Friday, it looks an absolutely stunning kit in the box. 

James

• Like 3

On 8/11/2020 at 4:15 PM, tonyot said:

Cheers

Tony

Hope you had a wonderful birthday, Happy Half Century.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Scooby said:

Hope you had a wonderful birthday, Happy Half Century.

Cheers mate,.... yeah had a great day,...... we had a few days away to visit Duxford! 

• Like 1