1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia/IIa/IIb/Vb/Vc released

Homebee

Hi,

For the Interceptor GB I hope to build one of those early Spitfires. Early as in "No 19 Sqn during the late summer of 1938".

Does anyone know which of the spinner tips for the two-bladed props is appropriate for that time? Part P46 or P 48?

Cheers, Stefan. 

Mk IIB with cannons and Mk Vb is hard to differenciate, but reading up a bit on Wiki, I understand that you can nearly make a mk Vb from this latest December release providing you get the right propeller for the Mk V? 

At the rate Eduard are releasing kits you will probably be building a Mk. V in February, a Mk. V Trop in March and VC in April, Eduard say they will release a Mk. V Eagle Squadrons special edition in August

Edited by Holmsey
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

News from Eduard december 2020 Info

August will be a sort of an ‘American’ month, and we are optimistic that a victory over covid will allow participation at the IPMS Nationals in Las Vegas. We want to come prepared.

We plan on having with us American Spifire Mk.IIs and Mk.Vs in 1:48th scale. This has the working title of ‘Eagle’s Call’ and will also be the premiere of our 48th scale Spitfire Mk.V

In November, we will make another return to Spitfires, and we want to time these for Telford. The third volume in the Spitfire Story will be tit BIGGLES & Co.

DECEMBER 2021 led ‘The Sweeps’ It will be dedicated to the Spitfire Mk.Va and Mk.Vb. It will be a colourful, attractive and exciting package.

The Spitfire Mk.Vc will not be a component of this item, because the Spitfire Mk.Vc is a theme that warrants its own package. It certainly won’t be boring. The Mk.Vc was the climax of the lineage that went from the Spitfire Mk.I to the Mk.V,a nd, as such, it will the culmination of the Limited Edition kits dedicated to it. It will be really something, for you and I. But that will be in the year after

Edited by Wuger91

1 hour ago, avro683 said:

Does anyone know if specific sprues are available to purchase separately?

They have Overtrees for sale if you need the plastic. Once I accidentally broke a part of a canopy for the Tempest, I emailed them and they kindly sent me another clear parts sprue for free

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sound said:

They have Overtrees for sale if you need the plastic. Once I accidentally broke a part of a canopy for the Tempest, I emailed them and they kindly sent me another clear parts sprue for free

Excellent, thank you. What I actually want is a second set of Mk lla wings for the Tally Ho! set. There are 8 markings choices but only one set of wing parts. It would be great but I doubt that they would be sent free of charge!

• Like 1

Has anyone worked out how to get the best out of the decals, I have not been very successful. There are suggestions that there is an extra film to remove, I’ve not managed it and there is no mention of them in the instructions?

16 minutes ago, Holmsey said:

Has anyone worked out how to get the best out of the decals, I have not been very successful. There are suggestions that there is an extra film to remove, I’ve not managed it and there is no mention of them in the instructions?

If they are anything like Hasegawa or Tamiya decals I use warmer water than usual. That helps to loosen the transfer without damaging each particular item.

On 12/2/2020 at 3:45 PM, avro683 said:

Does anyone know if specific sprues are available to purchase separately?

Yes they do , I e-mailed them about specific spitfire IX wings that I needed to get the correct configuration and I had these for 4 euro’s...

Postage is quit pricy at eduard but I combined this order with other things I needed.

Their service in my opinion is quite good and they respond quickly to these sort of questions...this was not the first time I did this 🙃

cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, janneman36 said:

Yes they do , I e-mailed them about specific spitfire IX wings that I needed to get the correct configuration and I had these for 4 euro’s...

Postage is quit pricy at eduard but I combined this order with other things I needed.

Their service in my opinion is quite good and they respond quickly to these sort of questions...this was not the first time I did this 🙃

cheers, Jan

Many thanks, Jan. A friend of mine also needs some so I will let him know. Hopefully we can get an order together and split the postage.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Holmsey said:

These rumors are based on people experimenting with this option which was discovered by accident though this layer is not ment to be removed!

The best option out of these decals is that you don’t remove that layer..

cheers, Jan

• Like 2

Thanks @Homebee for posting this.

I noticed Eduard's comments regarding head armour for the Mk I from November 1940.  There are certainly images of Mk. I's prior to November 1940 with and without head armour. Here are just a few:

A good time stamped example is the image of the later recovered and restored N3200 shot down over Calais May 1940. Seems to have head armour (maybe deceptive). Maybe a field mod and with no replacement of the head rest. Definitely not November 1940.

Spitfire Mk I Head Armour 3

Or this example, not a Mk II and said to be September 1940:

Spitfire Mk I Head Armour 2

And this airframe, not sure whether a Mk I or II or its timing. I expect some of the BM members can date this air frame. 

Spitfire Mk I Head Armour

And the above examples are without consideration of the timeline of implementation of Mod. 140 as stated by Edgar and I quote:

Mod 140 was "To provide rear armour protection (fixed.)" i.e on the seat bulkhead, and was implemented 6-2-40. 

Reference thread:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37505-spitfire-armor-plate-question/

Frankly, it is a minor point and easy to include if you wish to model it that way. Like all matters Spitfire, and early Spitfires in particular, hard rules are often difficult to apply without a suitable image of your chosen subject.  

Ray

• Like 1