1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia/IIa/IIb/Vb/Vc released

Homebee

I have neither the Eduard, nor the Tamiya kit. But to my untrained eyes, both look like a Spitfire. One offers the possibility to build a very early type and the other shall be an easy build, so both have specific pros. They have cons, what's new there? Let's be happy we have a choice so everyone has the opportunity to choose and adapt one's kit according to his or her taste/skill level? Mine are very basic so I mostly don't care about rivets but what I appreciate is that people here are as kind as to share their knowledge about a legend (so it shall help me to make my choices). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlCZ said:

But for scale modeling is more relevant photos of operational machine from wartime with all "war wearing scratches". 

Except many didn't last more than 2-3 months.

Yes I have many relevant photo's. No, they mostly aren't tatty, or worn out. 
I also use descriptions and documentation when picking my subjects, and a bit of common sense - a plane kept together with gaffer tape is not the primary pick of a pilot going into battle.

Do you know 🐵  I´m Spitfire fan - i have both 🐵 - Tamiya and Eduard - Merlin powered Spits &  Mustangs are my favourite aircraft.  And in time i build both (Tam & Ed too). Both kits are nice. I have in stash a old tool Tamiya - new tool brother and Little Eddie have more complicated build, because have more detailed pits...  Only in my  eyes looks Little Eddie better, because rivets,this is all. And yes, i love Tamiya kits, for me is Tamiya synonymum for "shake & bake" build. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 10:33 AM, Homebee said:

Soon (late September) - ref. 82151 - Supermarine  Spitfire Mk.Ia Profipack edition

Sources: 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EDK82151

http://ksmodel.pl/sklep/szczegoly/eduard-82151-spitfire-mk-ia-profipack-1-48-22272/

pr-325-325-edm82151.jpg

V.P.

Any info on if there are any differences in this release compared to the first boxing?
Except the obvious one that the first contained two coplete kits and this is one kit.

New decals I suppose?

/Johan

Hopefully it has the later fuselage - that would fit the box art which looks to portray a scene from the Battle of Britain.

I wonder if they'll attempt to fix their blooper and include the later type undercarriage selector - wont hold my breath on that one.

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Not according to Mr Sulc of Eduard, they insist all Mk.Is were manual u/c operation.

Eduard are not noted for humility in admitting errors.  (eg their 1/48th original issues Bf109G debacle)

This was extensively discussed here a few pages back,  with links to a RAF training film of R6692,  a Mk.I, in June 1940, with the mechanical UC operation unit.

I don't know if Mr.Sulc has seen the film, but as it has extensive film of the cockpit, it's not exactly a vague blurry photo... 

PS to save trawling through pages, the discussion on this starts in this post, and then continues

with links to the films and discussion further identifiers, like the pneumatic tank.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I don't know if Mr.Sulc has seen the film, but as it has extensive film of the cockpit, it's not exactly a vague blurry photo... 

Agreed, and the time line is also definitive, ie before the BoB.  The other components in the cockpit are also informative, especially the remote contactor can be clearly seen, while Eduard have put it in the kit but do not utilise it on Mk.Is. :shrug:

23 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Hopefully it has the later fuselage - that would fit the box art which looks to portray a scene from the Battle of Britain.

I wonder if they'll attempt to fix their blooper and include the later type undercarriage selector - wont hold my breath on that one.

For the unitiated among us, whats the part in question and what should it look like? Thanks for any help.

What a wonderful modelling world we are in, many moons ago I built a Spitfire of nondescript mark, more or less 1/48 with the markings of some sorts pressed into the plastic and the cockpit was a black empty hole with only an unhealthy looking pilot figure to fill it op....     I has so much pleasure in making it and proud of it when placed om my bedcupboard and happily oblivious of its ommisions and faults …  

So now we call it a blooper if the wrong kind of undercarriage selector is included?    Who is next to complaint that the model won't actually fly as it was originaly designed to do.  

I realy hope there is some fun left in your modelling.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keithjs said:

For the unitiated among us, whats the part in question and what should it look like? Thanks for any help.

Here is the very early version with manually pumped undercarriage operation. The prominent lever with a knob on the right hand side of the cockpit is what Eduard provide for all their Mk I versions.

Mk I Early

Here is another view of a slightly later Mk I still with hand pumped undercarriage operation and reflector gunsight. Again you can see the dominate lever with black knob on that right hand side. I show this as the control column lock is in place locking the control surfaces.

spitfire-mk-i-cockpit

Here is an image of what we are talking about. Now with undercarriage selector coming off a motor driven pump replacing the hand pump. It became the Spitfire standard for all variants introduced on the Mk I. The debate is when. It also had the control column lock in place. You can also see the remote contactor for IFF mounted high on the side wall with the dial face. 

spitfire-mk-ii-cockpit-3

Here's my Eduard mods. Scratchbuilt U/C Selector. Spare globes and the Indicator Light Morse Key relocated into that top section under the windscreen with piping for the pilot oxygen supply and the remote contactor put in place.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_26

Painted:

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_56

Ray

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Thank you so much! That's most useful and an obvious difference. I'm sure mine and our great Spitfire friend Edgar Brooks would know the answer as to when it started to be fitted. God bless you Edgar. Nearly 5 years now since his passing..