1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia/IIa/IIb/Vb/Vc released

Homebee

15 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I am bothered about things that concern the production process quality itself - understandable for a 50+ kit.

Those exhaust stubs are pretty shocking i'll give you that. I think you're being a bit nit picky about the other things you've pointed out though.

Personally i'd have rather had some Brassin wheels, or better still,some exhaust stubs 🙂 than a resin figure of Bader.

• Haha 1

There's plenty of Ed stuff in the stash, and I've handled five of 'em in the last weeks :)

They don't have those nitpicks, so they must be doing something different for the Mk.I/V series. We'll see. 

8 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

There's plenty of Ed stuff in the stash, and I've handled five of 'em in the last weeks :)

They don't have those nitpicks, so they must be doing something different for the Mk.I/V series. We'll see. 

I will be collecting mine the coming week and let you know if it has the same issues 👍

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tank152 said:

Those exhaust stubs are pretty shocking i'll give you that. I think you're being a bit nit picky about the other things you've pointed out though.

Personally i'd have rather had some Brassin wheels, or better still,some exhaust stubs 🙂 than a resin figure of Bader.

Doesn’t even look like Bader, agree about the wheels or exhaust stubs. Ultracast make a great Bader.

18 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Not so sure about the dark grey they've picked for the code letters though.

Great sprue shots, very much appreciated!!

And for me the dark grey is disappointing. All the other niggles are generally correctable with a bit of skill and patience, but the letters look as if they may have to be replaced, as I had to with the Eduard Tempest and their absurdly coloured sky codes. Kind of negates the price advantage of Eduard.

But I’m still anticipating a fantastic kit!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

And for me the dark grey is disappointing. 

Perhaps it's better to judge the grey once the codes are actually on the model rather than on the decal sheet! 

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=135083

The kit looks absolutely superb once built up, I can't wait to get hold of mine.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tank152 said:

Perhaps it's better to judge the grey once the codes are actually on the model rather than on the decal sheet!

You're quite right Ta152, I hope they look better in the flesh than the pic suggests.

I feel duty bound to mention that N3180 flown by Al Deere did not have the completely half and half black/white undersides as shown in the Eduard instructions (and as also appeared in the old Airfix 1/24th scale kit), our research for the Southern Expo 2010 decal sheet unearthed a photo which shows the front under nose cowling and rear fuselage was silver.  Easy enough to replicate as the markings are still OK.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I have Nick's pdf file concerning his study of RAF colours.    Eduard's grey codes look much better when viewed on the finished model linked by tank152. 

My opinion on the roundel colours (again comparison is only as good as the quality of the internet photos):

- red appears to be the bright pre-1937 version

- blue does not match either RAF version, but probably is closer to bright blue

- yellow could use a little more red tint

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Johnson said:

And for me the dark grey is disappointing. All the other niggles are generally correctable with a bit of skill and patience, but the letters look as if they may have to be replaced, as I had to with the Eduard Tempest and their absurdly coloured sky codes. Kind of negates the price advantage of Eduard.

I thought it was a big mistake when Eduard dropped Cartograph decals and started printing their own. I didn’t mind paying any extra for them.

• Like 4

Very disappointing.  Were they running out of time and rushed to market? Have they changed plastic injection suppliers and/or mould designers -  short shots, shrinkage, flow lines, surface textures? Yes you're right, easily fixed but this is the company that gave us the superlative Mk IX, VIII, XVI and P-51D. Not what I was expecting. Hopefully all the quality issues will be corrected. No comfort to early movers who have parted with the hard earned cash.

Does not change my position. Of course not, mine is on order. Even though I really do not need more Mk I's, but if it is "state of the art" "knock your socks off" build that is a constant "wow I like how they have done this" in other words my idea of fun I'm into it immediately.  We'll see.

I've added the decal sheets again in daylight. 
The MSG code letters look better however the true test is putting them on a model.

For comparison:

71.307 VMA MSG (which is apparently pretty close)

XF83 Tamiya MSG

y4mg5MJUfYWsUGby2Ljkldi76wHbCnt_w24QJMHh

y4mczKeZmmxXZfBs3NUVd5kQVI7V5pZFNjJdVQMZ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe that there was a certain amount of variation in the shade of grey used for the codes, as well as style and size. So best to study photos of the plane you’re modelling and decide accordingly. But if I were choosing a generalised shade of grey for the codes I would have gone for something closer to the Tamiya MSG. As regards the roundels, I completely agree with Jack’s analysis.

still very much looking forward to the kit arriving but I’ll be studying the AFM decal options.

Thanks again to @alt-92 for the additional pics.

Could be just photo quality, but those that have the decal sheet, is the yellow on the gas detection patch the same as that of the roundel?

Anyhow, they should not be the same, and a good paint choice for the gas patch is zinc chromate yellow, as has been discussed in the past in these forums.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baggers said:

I feel duty bound to mention that N3180 flown by Al Deere did not have the completely half and half black/white undersides as shown in the Eduard instructions (and as also appeared in the old Airfix 1/24th scale kit)

I must have 8 or 9 1970s era boxings of the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire, and all of the colour call outs show sky/duck egg green for the undersides of Al Deere's "Kiwi", which has always represented P9398 going by the kits I have. The 602 Squadron option did have the black and white undersides. Good to know about N3180 though. Think I have a copy of the excellent Southern Expo sheet in 1/72 and 1/32. Glad I had the chance to pick them up.

Yeah why we are even complaining, yellow is yellow ugh ....

I don't get it sometime how shallow kit makers are, maybe they are over strained by the complexity ?
Yeah and the red is much too bright indeed for wartime roundel red.

The instruction says that LO-G should have "cheese cutters".  I looked at the photo of that plane and couldn't see any signs of them. I know that the wires were thin and in the black and white photos are sometimes hardly visible, yet there should have been the fuselage "plugs" visible. I might be wrong but according to to the info founf on BM Supermarine implemented IFF Mk.II in December 1940. However, as the device was ready earlier it might have been introduced late autumn.

The other thing is that, IMHO, some of suggested planes should have hydraulic undercarriage selector as, according to information found on this forum, it was probably introduced on April 1940 (although I've read somewhere information that the selector was changed after 175 aircraft built). Good evidence is the film about the daily check in No 609 squadron showing a Spitfire with pre-June 6th 1940 undersurfaces with hydraulic selector. And I think that a position of gunsight replacement bulbs can also be a good evidence of hydraulic selector.

Just a short note at the end. I might be wrong with all above theories. And if someone points out my mistakes and shows evidence I'll humbly accept that I'm wrong.

And I really hope that all mentioned issues with plastic found will be cured before official release in August.

3 hours ago, DominikS said:

The instruction says that LO-G should have "cheese cutters".  I looked at the photo of that plane and couldn't see any signs of them. I know that the wires were thin and in the black and white photos are sometimes hardly visible, yet there should have been the fuselage "plugs" visible. I might be wrong but according to to the info founf on BM Supermarine implemented IFF Mk.II in December 1940. However, as the device was ready earlier it might have been introduced late autumn.

The other thing is that, IMHO, some of suggested planes should have hydraulic undercarriage selector as, according to information found on this forum, it was probably introduced on April 1940 (although I've read somewhere information that the selector was changed after 175 aircraft built). Good evidence is the film about the daily check in No 609 squadron showing a Spitfire with pre-June 6th 1940 undersurfaces with hydraulic selector. And I think that a position of gunsight replacement bulbs can also be a good evidence of hydraulic selector.

Just a short note at the end. I might be wrong with all above theories. And if someone points out my mistakes and shows evidence I'll humbly accept that I'm wrong.

And I really hope that all mentioned issues with plastic found will be cured before official release in August.

According to Hooton, IFF was first fitted at the end of September or early October 1940, beginning with X4641/P7660, and all earlier aircraft were retrofitted.

I don't have a date for the u/c retraction but IIRC change over was around April-May 1940. It seems to be unknown if the original system was replaced by the latter type in earlier builds.

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, occa said:

Yeah why we are even complaining, yellow is yellow ugh ....

I don't get it sometime how shallow kit makers are, maybe they are over strained by the complexity ?
Yeah and the red is much too bright indeed for wartime roundel red.

I said it earlier in the thread, Eduard dropped Cartograf, with that they lost the wealth of experience in regards to color accuracy.

Eduard is new to the decal business, they’ve already recalled full runs of decals for quality issues. Big mistake breaking from Cartograf.

Edited by Scooby
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Were they running out of time and rushed to market? Have they changed plastic injection suppliers and/or mould designers

Eduard designs and makes their own molds and they do kit production in-house.

7 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Eduard designs and makes their own molds and they do kit production in-house.

Hence the reason why the kits are so good and even less excuse for poor quality.  @alt-92 possibly received an early bad one. Pleasing to see @Thomas V. remark. 

5 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

No sink marks in my kit, strange that they released kit with such prominent sink marks at the first place.

They certainly seek to control the whole chain and it does not seem to have hit pricing adversely. I expect why they are also doing their own decals. I like it. I often think Airfix and wish they too could do things the old way. Keep the in-house expertise.

5 hours ago, Scooby said:

Eduard is new to the decal business...

Are they? They haven't always been with Cartograf. The two Mirage IIIs I've built from the original runs (c. 2005) did not have Cartograf printed decals and I was always under the impression (going by the register and colour problems with those kit sheets) that Eduard printed them themselves.

Jon

• Like 2

17 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I must have 8 or 9 1970s era boxings of the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire, and all of the colour call outs show sky/duck egg green for the undersides of Al Deere's "Kiwi", which has always represented P9398 going by the kits I have.

P9398 is the second of three Kiwis used by Al Deere in the Battle of Britain, the first being N3180 and the third being R6981.

For P9398, likely a question of the date of operation the kit or decal maker attempts to reproduce. Night/White or Night, White and Aluminium as built in March, and as first delivered to squadron service in May, then presumably repainted Sky along with all the others later in the summer

Edited by Work In Progress

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

P9398 is the second of three Kiwis used by Al Deere in the Battle of Britain, the first being N3180 and the third being R6981.

For P9398, likely a question of the date of operation the kit or decal maker attempts to reproduce. Night/White or Night, White and Aluminium as built in March, and as first delivered to squadron service in May, then presumably repainted Sky along with all the others later in the summer

Thanks for the info. The one I'm trying to nail down is the Spitfire he was flying on 3rd September 1940, just before the squadron went up to Catterick. I'm guessing at X4276, but really can't be sure. Only reason being is he was involved in the shooting down of a Bf-110 local to me on that day. Got the Dragon Bf-110 ready to go with the correct markings, so it would be nice to have the Spitfires and lone Hurricane to go with it. 

Regards;

Steve