1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia/IIa/IIb/Vb/Vc released

Homebee

Duly backordered with Hannants - couldn't be happier with the schemes shown. 

Does anyone know the differences between the early and late fuselages please?

Cheers,

WV908

Interesting, they certainly have taken optional parts to a theoretical limit. I note amongst the many other parts what appears to be a tail skid at Frame P no 71 and Cannons for a future Ib, IIb or Vb at frame R No 7.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, WV908 said:

Cheers,

WV908

I can only think it’s to cater for the armoured fuel tank(?) ahead of the cockpit. Airfix has this as a drop in option on a common fuselage. 

If I didn’t have a 90% built new Airfix I and a semi abandoned old Airfix Vb which will now receive some of the spares from the first kit, I’d have one of these in a heartbeat.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Biggles81 said:

Interesting, they certainly have taken optional parts to a theoretical limit. I note amongst the many other parts what appears to be a tail skid at Frame P no 71 and Cannons for a future Ib, IIb or Vb at frame R No 7.

A-18 piqued my interest, a square panel on the transparencies sprue, possibly an oblique camera hatch for a future PR version?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, -Ian- said:

A-18 piqued my interest, a square panel on the transparencies sprue, possibly an oblique camera hatch for a future PR version?

That's a nice though but I can't see any PR windscreens or canopies there. I wasn't going to buy the Mk.I but I would be interested in a PR version.

14 hours ago, WV908 said:

Cheers,

WV908

I think that there is a change in the cut out at the front of the cockpit opening to allow for the alternate screens to be fitted, but there could also be other subtle changes?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

I think that there is a change in the cut out at the front of the cockpit opening to allow for the alternate screens to be fitted, but there could also be other subtle changes?

That's the only thing that's standing out to me on the drawing of the parts, I guess we will have to wait to see the plastic for any other changes.

• Like 1

The change is needed for the screens provided to accommodate the early one and the armoured one, however it may also allow Eduard to fit a PR screen /canopy however they do not, I may look at one!!!!

From what I am seeing this is looking very positive and an expansion to the stash....

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

however it may also allow Eduard to fit a PR screen /canopy however they do not, I may look at one!!!!

Various windscreens should be no problem Ali but an accurate blistered canopy in 48th ?.  Unless you do a standard flat sided canopy with cutouts and separate blisters to be affixed with something like Krystal Clear.  Best of luck on that one pal. 

6 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

From what I am seeing this is looking very positive and an expansion to the stash....

I think it will be worth it just for the additions to the spares box. !

Dennis

31 minutes ago, sloegin57 said:

Unless you do a standard flat sided canopy with cutouts and separate blisters to be affixed with something like Krystal Clear.  Best of luck on that one pal. 

Don't see why not, if the parts fit. It's what they did on the full size. Use the lightest smear of PVA and you can clean up any excess with a wet cotton bud or wait for it to set and scrape if off with a wet toothpick later.

1 hour ago, Ali62 said:

The change is needed for the screens provided to accommodate the early one and the armoured one, however it may also allow Eduard to fit a PR screen /canopy however they do not, I may look at one!!!!

I wouldn't say need, as if that's the only difference then surely they would have designed it differently rather then having an entire separate fuselage. A bit crazy otherwise.

Eduard often does strange things, usually involving the creation of complication that no other manufacturer would consider. Notice also they've decided on this kit to make a two-blade fixed-pitch prop into two separate pieces for no readily apparent reason. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Eduard often does strange things, usually involving the creation of complication that no other manufacturer would consider. Notice also they've decided on this kit to make a two-blade fixed-pitch prop into two separate pieces for no readily apparent reason. 

Yeah, what's up with that? :wonder:

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do I see 3 pilot seats? And what about 5 canopies? One very early (flat), one middle type (flat sides and rised above pilot head) and late one (Malcolm hood)...What about two others?

I understand for props include Watts, DeHavilland, early Rotol (Mk.II and some Mk.I and V) and the fourth one? Late Rotol or deHavilland Hydromatic typical for Mk.Vs?

1 hour ago, DominikS said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do I see 3 pilot seats? And what about 5 canopies? One very early (flat), one middle type (flat sides and rised above pilot head) and late one (Malcolm hood)...What about two others?

I understand for props include Watts, DeHavilland, early Rotol (Mk.II and some Mk.I and V) and the fourth one? Late Rotol or deHavilland Hydromatic typical for Mk.Vs?

Canopy 15/16 seems to have a deeper frame on the rear edge, 7/10 being the same version without the push out panel? 

I saw what were reported as being the schemes from this kit earlier on Instagram, and also said that the kit would include a resin 2 bladed prop, 2 with the two bladed prop and a bunch of three bladed ones. Hopefully someone has the image because I didn't screenshot. K9795 was one.... which I just built in 1/72, guess I'm doing the other 2 bladed scheme. 

EDIT: I'm dumb lol it's on the previous page here 

Edited by Adam Poultney