1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia/IIa/IIb/Vb/Vc released

Homebee

2 hours ago, Patrik said:

Test shots of the wings and fuselage in detail.

https://www.ipmsnymburk.com/forum/viewtema.php?ID_tema=40817

Not for me, thanks, I'll pass on this one - in much the same way that others here have ruled out the new Zvezda Hind for its lack of raised rivet detail, I'd rule this one out for having it! It is indeed a funny old world.....

Edited by hopkp

I recently completed the Eduard 109-G2 and had noted ‘all the sunken rivets’ but was won over afterwards. They do add texture. 

49813216226_e272f08ce2_b.jpg

In my way of thinking, sunken rivets only become OTT when given an excessive post shading, so they scream “LOOK AT ME!!!”

The Spitfire had mixed raised and flush rivets, so this looks quite interesting.

Tempted.

Trevor

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

I recently completed the Eduard 109-G2 and had noted ‘all the sunken rivets’ but was won over afterwards. They do add texture. 

49813216226_e272f08ce2_b.jpg

In my way of thinking, sunken rivets only become OTT when given an excessive post shading, so they scream “LOOK AT ME!!!”

The Spitfire had mixed raised and flush rivets, so this looks quite interesting.

Tempted.

Trevor

Though it does make doing a heavily weather aircraft harder as it's all too easy to make the rivers stand out too much.

So I'm not a fan of rivets holes, though l can live with them if they are done well like this and at least with the raised rivets Eduard are trying to make things more realistic.

Their Mk IX is very nice but this could be very impressive really looking forward to the VC and  we need a Mk.XI as well!

Yay! Finally a current Spitfire kit with (more) accurate surface detail! Thank you Eduard!

I don't need another Mk I in 1/48, but I'll still be in for at least a couple of these. Brilliant. Wonder what the Italeri kit will come up with now that Eduard have shown their hand?

8 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Yay! Finally a current Spitfire kit with (more) accurate surface detail! Thank you Eduard!

What do you mean by that? 

2 hours ago, Christer A said:

They got rid of the separate engine cowl!

Wonderful!

However, it still will need filling some lines. But yes, it's step forward.

Yet, making closed cockpit will be a pain in the bottom again. Tamiya's solution is much better. 

14 hours ago, DominikS said:

What do you mean by that? 

The Spitfire Mk I has lapped panels and raised rivets on the fuselage. None of the more recent Mk I kit releases have this detail. The ancient Revell 1/32 and Airfix 1/24 scale kits have the rivets, the 1/24 scale kit also has the lapped panel effect. Can't be done in smaller scales? Don't buy that - check out the 1/48 scale Special Hobby Spitfire Mk V, it has a very good representation of the lapped panels; and my 1/72 Italeri Huey has some very fine rivet detail so that is also possible. Maybe it's cost, maybe it's laziness with the more recent releases, but what ever, the Eduard kit has gone the extra mile here with at least including raised rivets. I am not so sure about the recessed rivet detail but will reserve my judgement until I have the kit in my hand. Note, I am talking surface detail here.

P.S. - looks like the test shots are no longer viewable on that link (?)

EDIT - further observations - hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like the panel in front of the windscreen, over the fuel tanks, is flush which is ok only for early Spitfire Mk I, and the cowling fasteners look slightly raised - all photos I have seen of these show them as flush. In places there are rivets in place of fasteners, but how picky do you get? Still looks very good to my eyes.

Edited by Peter Roberts

22 minutes ago, Peter Roberts said:

The Spitfire Mk I has lapped panels and raised rivets on the fuselage. None of the more recent Mk I kit releases have this detail. The ancient Revell 1/32 and Airfix 1/24 scale kits have the rivets, the 1/24 scale kit also has the lapped panel effect. Can't be done in smaller scales? Don't buy that - check out the 1/48 scale Special Hobby Spitfire Mk V, it has a very good representation of the lapped panels; and my 1/72 Italeri Huey has some very fine rivet detail so that is also possible. Maybe it's cost, maybe it's laziness with the more recent releases, but what ever, the Eduard kit has gone the extra mile here with at least including raised rivets. I am not so sure about the recessed rivet detail but will reserve my judgement until I have the kit in my hand. Note, I am talking surface detail here.

EDIT - further observations - hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like the panel in front of the windscreen, over the fuel tanks, is flush which is ok only for early Spitfire Mk I, and the cowling fasteners look slightly raised - all photos I have seen of these show them as flush. In places there are rivets in place of fasteners, but how picky do you get? Still looks very good to my eyes.

Airfix 1/24 does not have lapped panes, it has recessed panels, just checked what you said and went over my kit, no sign of lapped panels whatsoever, same goes for SH kit, all recessed panels.

8 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Airfix 1/24 does not have lapped panes, it has recessed panels, just checked what you said and went over my kit, no sign of lapped panels whatsoever, same goes for SH kit, all recessed panels.

Thanks Thomas, yes, I stand corrected re: Airfix. Clearly my memory of the kit was better than the product ( :) ) Post amended.

What Troy said for SH.

Perhaps my bad - I should have said my comments relate to the fuselage, apologies.

PR

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 2:56 PM, Peter Roberts said:

Pictures are at the end of page 2, the link opens on page 1.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 12:11 AM, Troy Smith said:

check the rear fuselage,  that is where the effect is, the rest is recessed.

And few panels at underside wing surface are lapped as well (1/48 SH Spitfire).

• Like 1

I am going to try and buy the Classic Airframes Yankee Spitfires for a Mk.Vc on the decal sheet of a specific plane for Lt. Lampe that I will build as he is/was related to me.  However the debate is if I should then wait on the Eduards release (however long that might be) or just go ahead and tackle the Classic Airframes kit.  I know there have been re-releases of the plastic but I need the decals anyway so I think i will end up with the CA kit anyway.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harold55 said:

I am going to try and buy the Classic Airframes Yankee Spitfires for a Mk.Vc on the decal sheet of a specific plane for Lt. Lampe that I will build as he is/was related to me.  However the debate is if I should then wait on the Eduards release (however long that might be) or just go ahead and tackle the Classic Airframes kit.  I know there have been re-releases of the plastic but I need the decals anyway so I think i will end up with the CA kit anyway.  

I'd suggest seeing if anyone in the USA has the specific markings leftover.  I have also seen spare CA decal sheets fro sale on ebay.

The CA kits is the Special Hobby kit (also reboxed by revell and Italeri) 

It's not shake and bake, and if you are concerned, it's a bit short.   The kit seems to get a really bad press for this, while other Spitfire kits with a lot more faults don't....

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I'd suggest seeing if anyone in the USA has the specific markings leftover.  I have also seen spare CA decal sheets fro sale on ebay.

The CA kits is the Special Hobby kit (also reboxed by revell and Italeri) 

It's not shake and bake, and if you are concerned, it's a bit short.   The kit seems to get a really bad press for this, while other Spitfire kits with a lot more faults don't....

This is very helpful, I will check with our model club and also put a standing search on ebay.   Nothing available right now but you never know.  I have a huge stash so I certainly have time on my side to wait.  It would not really bug me much if the kit were a bit short provided it looked good once done but I know what you mean about not being a shake and bake kit as I have done other CA kits in the past.

• 4 weeks later...

In their Leaflet Eduard have shown painting options - some are interesting, some are boring. There will also be a a bressin figure of this bl**** Trenchardist and the cause of death of hundreds of brave pilots - D. Bader. I'd rather see Sailor Malan, Roger Bushell, Robert Stanford Tuck, Eric Lock, Paddy Finucane, Alan Deere, David Crook...When I think of Bader I connect him with Hurricanes not Spitfires.

• Like 4