1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia/IIa/IIb/Vb/Vc released

Homebee

hmm, I think I see head armour in all those examples.  If not present, this is what it looks like:

27461445207_bf73bb1e5a_z.jpg

According to the late Edgar, February 6 1940 saw the introduction of the head armour, though not sure if that is associated with standard factory application?    For the back plate, "...  due to the Hurricanes in France getting priority, the Spitfires didn't get it behind the seat until after Dunkirk, with those airfields nearest the Channel first." *Edgar

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

Nice and clear info, Homebee. Much appreciated as I have a feeling that my daughter has a Tamiya 1/48 Spit scheduled to land for me under the Christmas tree ..... Been nosy again. Well, that's my own pleasure I spoil.

On 12/18/2020 at 4:30 AM, JackG said:

hmm, I think I see head armour in all those examples.  If not present, this is what it looks like:

27461445207_bf73bb1e5a_z.jpg

According to the late Edgar, February 6 1940 saw the introduction of the head armour, though not sure if that is associated with standard factory application?    For the back plate, "...  due to the Hurricanes in France getting priority, the Spitfires didn't get it behind the seat until after Dunkirk, with those airfields nearest the Channel first." *Edgar

regards,

Jack

Note also the early door locking mechanism - !!

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, elger said:

I'm impatient for a Vc to be produced in kit form - has anyone tried if the 1/48 Eduard IX wings fit their mk I fuselage?

The Vc is due for the end of this year I think. 

• Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia released - Mk.IIa in February 2020
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia & IIa released
  • 1 month later...
On 11/13/2020 at 3:08 AM, Boman said:

Mk IIB with cannons and Mk Vb is hard to differenciate, but reading up a bit on Wiki, I understand that you can nearly make a mk Vb from this latest December release providing you get the right propeller for the Mk V? 

There is no difference between the IIb wings and the Vb. I am currently building a Vb with the IIb sprues, all the parts for the Vb are included on the IIb sprues, the sprues are even marked Spitfire I-V.

You get the Vb wing, metal ailerons, Vb control yoke, large circular oil cooler, internal and external Vb armoured windscreen, 2 props found on the Vb, and the correct spinner for a Vb.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Scooby said:

There is no difference between the IIb wings and the Vb. I am currently building a Vb with the IIb sprues, all the parts for the Vb are included on the IIb sprues, the sprues are even marked Spitfire I-V.

You get the Vb wing, metal ailerons, Vb control yoke, large circular oil cooler, internal and external Vb armoured windscreen, 2 props found on the Vb, and the correct spinner for a Vb.

As I wrote earlier in other topic, I'm not sure the "B" wings are correct for all Mk.V. For early, yes. For late, don't know, rather not. Except for early Spitfires Mk.V (after changing from Mk.I), I haven't seen Spitfires Mk.Vb with the same bulges as given in the "Tally Ho!" box. But apart from this, almost all the parts are there. But, I think there should also metal seat option. I once read that Spitfires from Malta received metal seats after plastic ones started cracking during dive bombing.

If we talk about bulges:

600d76f642f514b68f425255_SpitfireMkVsamplepages.pdf (webflow.com)

(Only for discussion).

The last photos show them

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2020 at 3:08 AM, Boman said:

Mk IIB with cannons and Mk Vb is hard to differenciate, but reading up a bit on Wiki, I understand that you can nearly make a mk Vb from this latest December release providing you get the right propeller for the Mk V? 

I just built a Vb with the IIb sprues, not nearly, everything is there.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 3:07 AM, Seboo said:

I wonder if they've portrayed only Mr. Sulc or if the remaining 3 pilots also have faces of Eduard's employees.

Definitely is Sulc, the remaining are triplets, so it would be the same employee.

I’m friends with a Dragon artist, he always uses member of our club to put on the gear before he does his art (he photographs people in the full uniforms and paints off the photo). So it is funny that we can recognize faces in his boxart.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 8:00 AM, DominikS said:

As I wrote earlier in other topic, I'm not sure the "B" wings are correct for all Mk.V. For early, yes. For late, don't know, rather not. Except for early Spitfires Mk.V (after changing from Mk.I), I haven't seen Spitfires Mk.Vb with the same bulges as given in the "Tally Ho!" box. But apart from this, almost all the parts are there. But, I think there should also metal seat option. I once read that Spitfires from Malta received metal seats after plastic ones started cracking during dive bombing.

If we talk about bulges:

600d76f642f514b68f425255_SpitfireMkVsamplepages.pdf (webflow.com)

(Only for discussion).

The last photos show them

I can’t see the difference in the bulges, later in production the Vb definitely had wider bulges. I’ve compared the kit bulges with preserved Vb’s and they match to my eye.

I’ve now built an early Vb and will have images posted soon. Absolutely everything is in the IIb kit to build an early Vb. The only thing missing is the front windscreen with internal armour, although there is one on the sprue, it won’t fit as it is missing the curved fairing below the windscreen. Although if the external armour windscreen was installed and then trimmed down to the fairing, the internal windscreen in the kit could be used.

I received the Tamiya Mk. I for Christmas, still untouched. So I'll (try to) keep holding back :lalala: from buying a Spit until the actual Mk. V arrives. Planning to build (one of the) planes belonging to the RAF Belgian squadrons.

Please help, doctor!

Sure, I can prescribe you a cheap Arma Hobby Hurricane to alleviate your pain.

Oh? I thought you'd tell me to get rid of my credit card.

Certainly not . I prefer softer and gradual treatment against addictions so severe as yours.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

HI All,

I just ordered the new 82152 Spitfire Mk. 1 early and the 82153 Spitfire Mk 1a, but I'm not sure that these kits contain anything different than what I have in the 'Spitfire Story: The Few 11143' kit, which gives me two Mk. 1 Spitfires.  I haven't read all 23 pages of this thread, and perhaps the answer is already somewhere in there.  If it turns out that that 82152 and 82153 are nothing new, I'll just have 2 more Mk. 1a Spitfires, which is certainly not a bad thing.  Have I just duplicated 'The Few' kits? 

Edited by Curt B
Spelling

On 23/04/2021 at 20:49, Curt B said:

HI All,

I just ordered the new 82152 Spitfire Mk. 1 early and the 82153 Spitfire Mk 1a, but I'm not sure that these kits contain anything different than what I have in the 'Spitfire Story: The Few 11143' kit, which gives me two Mk. 1 Spitfires.  I haven't read all 23 pages of this thread, and perhaps the answer is already somewhere in there.  If it turns out that that 82152 and 82153 are nothing new, I'll just have 2 more Mk 1/a Spitfires, which is certainly not a bad thing.  Have I just duplicated 'The Few' kits? 

Your 82152 will have exactly the same sprues provided in "The Few".

On the other hand, 82153 (Mk. 2a), has some different sprues. The most notable difference being the underwing area (Sprue K vs. E) and the props (Sprue S vs. U).

11143 "The Few" option 1: A, B*, (J+E), P, R, U

11143 "The Few" option 2: A, C*, (J+E), P, R, U

82152 (Mk. 1 early): Sprues A, B*, C*, (J+E), P, R, U

82153 (Mk. 2a): Sprues A, C, (J+K), P, R, S

Conveniently I write down all the sprues they provide by looking at the instructions 😂 Correct me if I've made a mistake.

On 4/25/2021 at 6:38 AM, George Tam said:

Your 82152 will have exactly the same sprues provided in "The Few".

On the other hand, 82153 (Mk. 2a), has some different sprues. The most notable difference being the underwing area (Sprue K vs. E) and the props (Sprue S vs. U).

11143 "The Few" option 1: A, B*, (J+E), P, R, U

11143 "The Few" option 2: A, C*, (J+E), P, R, U

82152 (Mk. 1 early): Sprues A, B*, C*, (J+E), P, R, U

82153 (Mk. 2a): Sprues A, C, (J+K), P, R, S

Conveniently I write down all the sprues they provide by looking at the instructions 😂 Correct me if I've made a mistake.

Thank you, George...that's EXACTLY the kind of information I was looking for!!!!  If I notice a difference in the sprue lettering, I'll post here.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 to Mk.V by Eduard - Mk.I/Ia & IIa released - Mk.IIb in June 2021

Next boxing in June 2021 - ref. 82154 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIb - Profipack edition

Sources: 

https://www.facebook.com/EduardCompany/posts/4572979196050325

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/InfoEduard/archive/2021/info-eduard-2021-05-enrr.pdf

The 1/48 scale kit of ProfiPACK Edition of Spitfire Mk.IIb is going to be released in June under cat. no. 82154. The artwork, prepared by Piotr Forkasiewicz, depicts Spitfire P8505 of No. 266 (Rhodesia) Squadron with Sgt. Eric S. Dicks-Sherwood at the controls. On September 15, 1941, he flew as a wingman to the Wittering Wing commander W/Cdr Jameson (RNZAF) on one of the Rhubarb missions against the De Kooy airport in the Netherlands. Over the ocean they were attacked by four Bf 110 from 5./ZG 76. Dicks-Sherwood claimed one enemy aircraft damaged, W/Cdr. Jameson claimed one shot down. In fact none of the enemy aircraft participating in the combat sustained any damage. One of the German crews reported the downing of the Spitfire, but both British airmen returned safely to base.

Spit-IIb-81254.png

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 1 month later...

Released - https://www.eduard.com/eduard/plastic-kits/profipack/aircraft/1-48/spitfire-mk-iib-1-48.html

In box review in your favourite forum  - ref. 82154 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIb - Profipack edition

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235094919-spitfire-mkiib-profipack-82154-148/

V.P.

Edited by Homebee