This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Homebee

1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 to Mk.V by Eduard - 1st Mk.I boxing "the Few" released

14 hours ago, Olmec Head said:

Having had a look at the sprue shots and the accompanying photos etc at the Eduard site; I was wondering if anyone with hands on the real thing (the model , not a real Spitfire to be precise) could comment on:

I have the kit and have had a dry fit session and it all goes together as good as their Mk.IX

IMG_1360

All good, well no.  As you are aware the box contains 2 kits, one early without upper fuel tank "armour" and another with it moulded on.  Now for the bad news, the sprues only contain the early hand hydraulic pump, moulded on the side wall is the signalling switch box, no air hose (that would be on the pilots mask)  There is a part on the sprue for a remote contactor but it is shaded as not required, strange when the last marking option supposedly has the IFF wires?  Talking of IFF both fuselages have the IFF insulators moulded in the surface detail and you are not directed to fill them even if you are building a pre-war aircraft.  The wing root electrical socket is moulded in the surface detail and you are directed to fill this for the kit options.  Here is the "later" fuselage with the tank "armour", I have filled the electrical socket and IFF insulator.

IMG_1361

14 hours ago, Olmec Head said:

Oh and the fuel cock levers on instrument panel and flaps control switch as well.  Possibly PE?  Final ninja level, the landing lamp lowering column which I don't think has ever been done by anyone ever (probably).

Sorry no, to all.  There is a fold together early voltage regulator, a plastic one for later ones and, on the sprue but not for this boxing there is a later twin cylinder regulator and plate.

In all there are a lot of good points in this kit, for an early Spitfire there are early metal seats, with and without padded cover and the later resin seat, (etched) wire guard for the fin top, p/e straps on the upper fuel tank the gun heating vents are separate parts, but the protruding outer guns that should have flash eliminators are just plastic parallel barrels.

I should add that I do not consider myself an expert, I have just read all the information on this site about Spitfires when I started to build the 2018 Tamiya kit in the hope of "getting it right" and found how difficult that phrase was.  I am sure others will find things that I have not yet considered, but it is early days and I just thought I should answer your questions.

What is your opinion of the raised rivets? They look overdone to me, but it's hard to tell from photos. The Tamiya kit has no rivets at all, which I am sad about.

I also notice in the instructions that there is no de-icer reservoir and I am sure it should be there. Easy enough to scratch up, but it's a shame.