1:72 CMR Blackburn Firebrand TF Mk.V

Cracking film, Grommit!  That third launch (“take-off” to any land-lubber types) is a doozy (as I believe Needle-Nose Ned would describe it)l wheels up before he’s even crossed the bow.

But by all that’s holy it was big, wasn’t it?  Role?  What role?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

You must be most patient person I know Bill, scratch building that fan would drive me crazy!

I had a head start, I'm already crazy.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 6

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up on this fantastic build Bill, nice work so far. I especially like the replacement fan blades. Magic!

Looks like I also need to check out your Mauler.........

Terry

• Like 1

It doesn't seem to want to stop snowing here at Ice Station Rottenchester (-18 C this morning, with over 2 metres of snow so far this season), so I've made the command decision to go to Southern California for the first week of March. Gotta be warmer there...

On 15/02/2020 at 16:01, Terry1954 said:

Just caught up on this fantastic build Bill, nice work so far. I especially like the replacement fan blades. Magic!

Looks like I also need to check out your Mauler.........

Thanks Terry! Not much to see yet on the Mauler.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Fuselage and wings on the Firebrand are assembled, and I'm currently puttying and sanding the seams. I'd post photos, but they'd be boring and remind everyone how much they hate cleaning up seams. Since this is a happy place, I don't want to introduce any bad vibes.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Let's do some more work on the Firebrand. That is, if I can successfully pry some time away from wifey, grandkids, etc. I managed to get some time, but not a lot, and got a few things done. First was cleaning up the seams, and that took a while and left me with a model with patches of different colour fillers, splotches of primer - in other words I really need to paint this thing to cover all that up!    :drunk:

As usual, I added the landing gear before painting for no reason other than that's the way I've always done it. I think this is the first kit I've had where the instructions actually tell you to drill small holes in the gear struts and add reinforcing wire. So I did.

IMG_5330

I wish the doors weren't cast in one piece with the struts, but whatever.

CMR also ask you to drill corresponding holes into the portion of the wheel well where the struts attach. I'll give them credit for replicating the axle of rotation for the gear - essentially a small diameter cylinder that would be perpendicular to the strut. Unfortunately, this cylinder was a "short shot" on one side, and the other side broke when I tried to drill it. And I drill by hand with slow speed wood drills, so there wasn't much pressure being applied. I decided to remove all that and mount small brass tubing to accept the gear struts. (Don't pay any attention to how ugly the fuselage looks - it's only an illusion).

IMG_5331

The struts were attached, including some actuating thingies, and then the tail wheel went on as well. Once she was up on her legs, I gave her a coat of Colourcoats Dark Slate Grey.

IMG_5332

By the way, the black resin used for the struts is considerably harder than the resin used for the rest of the model, which I assume is to ensure that it doesn't sag or splay over time. I've never actually had that problem with any of my resin models, but they're not that heavy since they're all 1:72 scale.

I see a few spots that still need some touching up, plus I need to re-scribe a few lines that were lost with all that sanding. I also lost two of the six engine panel latches (one on each side) and I'll need to add those back with styrene. But overall, she doesn't look too bad at this stage of the game.

I bought turned brass cannons from Master, and I think those should go on soon. The same goes for the windscreen as it will probably need to be faired into the fuselage (unless I cut it really precisely, which is unlikely).

Off to California on Friday...     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

As usual, I added the landing gear before painting for no reason other than that's the way I've always done it.

Madness :frantic: :wacko:

:D

She's looking gorgeous on her leg and in grey :clap:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just watched the video, very interesting and impressed by the speed at which the undercarriage retracted. Anyone notice the Avenger in the background of some of the flypast shots? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beard said:

It looks like a beast from where I'm sitting. Is there any chance of having a photo with a Spitifre (my standard unit of size) to get a real idea of how big it is?

As you wish - here she is with a Spitfire 14.

IMG_5333

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Unless that is a 1/48th Spitfire, the Firebrand isn't as huge as I would have expected, apart from its very Douglasonian tail of course. ;) This is coming on a treat Bill, I'm impressed, both with the kit & your work on it. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Thanks 1

Don't let perspective fool you...

Dimensionally its roughly 15' greater in span, 55% great wing area, and 6' greater in length over the Spitfire XIV, but there is certainly a large mass difference with the Firebrand!   

Looking good there though Bill!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Not much to report nearly a month after my last post. I've haven't spent much time modelling, but I did get back to the Firebrand today and re-scribed some lost panel lines. I also added the Master turned brass cannon barrels. The vacuform canopy was trimmed and cut open, and is currently recovering in its Future bath. Hopefully I can get the windscreen on tomorrow so I set to painting this baby.

IMG_5336

As you can see, I tried to recreate the engine panel clasps that were lost during heavy handed sanding. Kinda cheesy, but might look OK under one or three coats of paint.

In the meantime, I'm staying indoors since I'm immunodeficient (thanks to my chemo, but hey - it's better than being dead). Wifey does an occasional errand. Both of my daughters work in the hospital, so they and the grandkids are staying away just in case they've been exposed to the virus. I'm a little worried about my oldest daughter, as she's been re-purposed from orthopaedic surgery to the E.R. Of course, that's where the folks with virus symptoms are being tended to when they arrive. I hope they have enough masks, gloves, booties, sanitizer - all that stuff.

Stay safe guys and gals - you've got a big stash, so get to it.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I'll try to get a picture of the vertical tail from a head-on perspective. CMR have correctly cast the fin at an angle, which was done on the real bird to counteract engine torque.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

That’s already looking like a bit of a beast and in your capable hands will turn out to be another cracker!

Welcome back and stay safe. You must be proud of your daughters being there on the front line doing their bit during this time.

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Firebrand is looking good Bill.

Your daughters are amongst the global healthcare hero's. You must be anxious yet proud at the same time.

My youngest son is coming home today. He is a student in London and it's getting challenging up there. Friends of ours have let us use a small cottage just a few doors from where we live, so he can stay isolated for two weeks before coming home properly. I have asthma (mild I would say) and am taking no risks of infection, although I've had a variable  fever for almost two weeks now. My doctor is of the view I may have actually contracted the virus already, and my body is dealing with it well. It seems so random in its effects. Scary! 

Wishing you and your family a safe journey through this thing.

Let's keep modelling!

Terry

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Glad to see your safe Bill.

I've great respect for those on the front line in this virus infested war, may your daughters and everyone else involved in the fight stay safe and well 

Firebrand looking good as well!

Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What everybody else said about the fantastic work your daughters are doing Bill, they and every other health care professional have my utmost admiration and respect during this awful crisis (tbh I always have the same admiration and  respect for those who dedicate their lives to caring for others)

I'm also staying indoors as I'm immunodeficient due to my meds too, and the missus is doing sterling work keeping us, her 85 year old dad and 97 year old aunt going.

On a happier note the Firebrand is looking great, can't wait to see it wearing one of your fantastic paintjobs!

Take care

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1