1:72 CMR Blackburn Firebrand TF Mk.V

Thanks mates, I've got my fingers and toes crossed for the PET scan tomorrow.   🤞

I grabbed my airbrush and "un-shiny-ized" the Firebrand. I kinda like how she looks, nice and clean.

IMG_5369

IMG_5371

IMG_5372

She must have looked like that at some point, right? Maybe immediately after rolling out of the paint shop...

Now I'm off to work on the torpedo, and maybe add some markings to the prop blades. There is not much left to do, so it shouldn't take more than another six months.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 28

@Navy Bird

First off- third time's the charm, Bill; you can beat this...again! Secondly, your Firebrand is gorgeous! I just now re-discovered your WIP- sorry it took so long to re-visit your work and also sorry to hear the news; keeping fingers, toes, and eyes crossed that your PET provides good news! As an aside, I also have the CMR Mauler...compared to the Firebrand, about the only color on one would be the oil streaks from the R-3350 and the international orange band of a Reserve example. The sucker could carry more than its weight in ordnance, though- three torpedoes? That's some serious whup-a--! Thinking of you.

Have been up close to the one at Pensacola twice, and it is a BIG mutha- the landing gear struts look like they used  trusses from a drawbridge! 

Mike

http://www.internetmodeler.com/scalemodels/aviation/Building-the-1-72-Czechmaster-Resin-Martin-AM-1-Mauler.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Bill,

Hope all went well today.

I'm absolutely inspired by your Firebrand build, although I'm not sure I could manage the CMR kit.....

Looking forward to your next post, no pressure of course!

With kindest regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Hi mates,

Thanks for all the well wishes.    :)

I discovered this British archaeologist guy Lindybeige on YouTube. Interesting dude. I would never have thought that someone could speak a run-on sentence that lasts for 25 minutes or more. As you Brits say, "Brilliant!" Plus, he seems to know his stuff, which is always a good thing in my book. I've always liked the UK sense of humor (or is it humour?), and he has lots of it. If our leader on this side of the puddle gets re-elected I may have to retire to Old Blighty and learn how to drive on the wrong other side of the road.

Hmmm...what else? Oh yeah, my PET scan. To be honest, I don't think it looked so good. With a PET scan, you get injected with this radioactive tracer (fluorine 18) and the scanner sees how much your various inside bits "uptake" the stuff. Apparently, metabolic processes uptake, and cancer uptakes a lot. How much is uptaken (uptook?) is measured on a scale called the Deauville rating. 0=no uptake, 3=normal (measured in comparison to your liver), and 5=malignancy (usually). Two of my lymph nodes measured 4 on this scale, but my tonsils, of all things, measured 5. The doctor who read the scan said "intense uptake" by the tonsils. Now, you may not know (I didn't) but your tonsils are lymphatic tissue, and are considered part of your immune system. Therefore, the chances are that the lymphoma is active in my tonsils. I'm being referred to an ENT oncologist (didn't know such a specialization even existed). I suspect that we'll need to biopsy a bit of tonsil.

OK, I've been down this road before. What scares me is that the majority of tonsil involvement in lymphoma patients is a metastasized highly aggressive form of the disease which likes to spread to all sorts of things. We'll see what this ENT guy says. The typical treatment regimen is surgery-chemotherapy-radiation. You get to have all of the good stuff. Sounds like fun.    :fraidnot:

Now, there is a chance that the tonsils are benign, and just inflamed for some reason (like tonsillitis). However, that wouldn't typically have so high of an uptake. And it wouldn't give me night sweats. Arghh. But until I find out for sure, I keep telling myself it's benign, it's benign (spoken like Gene Wilder in Young Frankenstein - it's alive, it's alive!).

Cheers,

Bill

PS. According to my medical records I had my tonsils removed when I was a kid. So I guess they reanimated. Speaking of which, I just binge-watched The Frankenstein Chronicles. Nicely done - I'm off to Ripper Street now.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 16

Fingers crossed here Bill.

3 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

I think I detect a British sense of humour there

Confirmed. And dry with it. 

I really enjoyed my time with Bill on his visits and he's one of the few Americans I know who get, and practice, our sense of humour…

e.g. One of my favourites from him "'I' before 'E' except after 'C'? Weird" :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Fingers (and everything else) crossed here, Bill! Keep strong and keep your sense of humour (humour :)).

Young Frankenstein is one of my favourite movies :) - "It's FRON-ken-STEEN!!!" :)

All the best,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Sobering update Bill but keeping us all in the loop is essential so we can all root for you over here.

5 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

If our leader on this side of the puddle gets re-elected I may have to retire to Old Blighty and learn how to drive on the wrong other side of the road.

Well if that happened Bill you would get one very big welcome from us all certainly! 

The firebrand of course is looking every bit the masterpiece..... "I" before "E" you see, except ..... err, there you go!

Stay strong and stay safe.

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

All the very best Bill, I hope it does turn out to be benign - fingers and toes crossed....

Keith

Same from me, keep going man! :fingerscrossed:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Chin up Bill,...... not the best news but could be worse,....... and if it involves Tonsils then you get to eat lots of ice cream don`t you? Sounds like your Medics know what they are doing and you are still here after the last lot,...... so keep on bloody fighting my friend,....... you can do it.

The Firebrand looks `fan dabby dozie' mate,...... superb!

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1